Bizarre old radio ads

reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
Forum Member
✭✭
Listened to Youtube clip of Mark Williams at Centre Radio in Jan 1983 last night. Really odd to hear a commercial saying "As you know, there is a water strike....don't flush your loo/clean your car etc..."

Have you heard any old commercials that sound bonkers in a 2013 context?

Comments

• radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not bizarre but used to love the advert on LBC "The big red building on golders green road"
  • Sky_TechSky_Tech Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    radiodad wrote: »
    Not bizarre but used to love the advert on LBC "The big red building on golders green road"

The Big Red Building used to be located in Middlesex Street AKA Petticoat Lane in the 70's and early 80's on those Capital & LBC Adverts.
  • Alan ThewAlan Thew Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone remember the commercial for Tab Clear (a fizzy drink) that used to claim that if you slowed down The Wurzels' hit Combine Harvester, it contained a subliminal message that went something like: "Buy Tab Clear ... Buy Tab Clear ..." Totally bonkers and more than a little unsettling... Must have been some time around the early 90s; I don't think the product was on the market very long!
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »

Surely you mean "The big red building on Petticoat Lane"? The houndsditch or something.
  • tellymantellyman Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always remember Tampax sponsoring Radio Luxemburg. "Thats Tampax ltd Havant Hampshire".
  • guiserguiser Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else remember.........

Addis A A A Addison Lee
    Addison Lee
    Addison Lee Couriers

LBC maybe mid 80s.
    It always sounded quite groundbeaking to me with it's scratchiness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Who remembers the Coldseal Windows Adverts?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Luxemberg had that add for football pools plans that seemed to promise to make us all rich. This was voiced over by the man himself Horace Batchelor who always spelt out K E Y N S H A M B R I S T O L.

Radio London had Bulliver (not sure how it is spelt) watches.
  • Alan ThewAlan Thew Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who remembers the Coldseal Windows Adverts?

If you mean the comical sung ones, then yes. They sounded identical, apart from the company name, to the ads for Glevum Windows, which had come before. I always wondered whether Glevum had been taken over or renamed Coldseal... but a quick Google suggests Glevum are indeed still going. So I wonder what the story was with the ads..?
  • Andrew RogersAndrew Rogers Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio West used to run adverts for dieting cubes which helped to retrain your appetite.

They were called AIDS.

http://www.radiowest.co.uk/AIDS.mp3

"I'll have to give AIDS a try. Then maybe next time you won't recognise me!"

This was before...
  • Andrew RogersAndrew Rogers Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spiderpig wrote: »
    Radio London had Bulliver (not sure how it is spelt) watches.

Bulova.

"It's x o'clock Bulova Watch Time. B U L O V A Bulova. When you know what makes a watch tick, you'll buy a Bulova."

http://www.bulova.com/en_us
  • reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio West used to run adverts for dieting cubes which helped to retrain your appetite.

They were called AIDS.

http://www.radiowest.co.uk/AIDS.mp3

"I'll have to give AIDS a try. Then maybe next time you won't recognise me!"

This was before...

Think these were on Luxembourg too. Unfortunate branding:D
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ayds were the diet cubes.
  • MSBMSB Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drunk slurring advert on LBC for Wembley stadium marrrrkeeeeet! (I think)
  • MSBMSB Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Thew wrote: »
    Anyone remember the commercial for Tab Clear (a fizzy drink) that used to claim that if you slowed down The Wurzels' hit Combine Harvester, it contained a subliminal message that went something like: "Buy Tab Clear ... Buy Tab Clear ..." Totally bonkers and more than a little unsettling... Must have been some time around the early 90s; I don't think the product was on the market very long!

Yep, remember it. Tab Clear was Coke. Hence the brainwashing stuff didn't surprise me.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    Surely you mean "The big red building on Petticoat Lane"? The houndsditch or something.

The Houndsditch Warehouse was in.. the Houndsditch. The big red building in Petticoat Lane (pink the last time I saw it) was for Goldrange. Years after it closed down Mr. Gold opened a new big red building in Golders Green Road.

Surely the most bizarre old ads were for Barratts Liquor Mart.
  • mw963mw963 Posts: 3,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hilarious Perrier ad in the early days of Capital. A posh salesman having the last laugh on a chav buying a Rolls. They'd never get away with it now. Still makes me giggle.....
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,844
    Forum Member
    They used to have on Beacon / BRMB announcements informing striking Longbridge workers to return to work. I assume these qualified as ads as they were during commercial breaks
  • BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arding and Hobbs
    Arding and Hobbs
    ARDING AND HOBBS

A-R-D-I-N-G A-N-D H-O-B-B-S!!!
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,844
    Forum Member
    Home on the range on Piccadilly with that Irish fella

Wilmer Windows on Signal
  • Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone understand the ads ON radio advertising radio as a sale medium - two men in a park using a codeword red something-or-other ( can't remember now ! ). The gist was that they were being followed, and had to talk in secret.

They might as well have been talking in secret, because around the time the campaign ran, digital radio stations wer falling over like ninepins through lack of any advertising...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    The Houndsditch Warehouse was in.. the Houndsditch. The big red building in Petticoat Lane (pink the last time I saw it) was for Goldrange. Years after it closed down Mr. Gold opened a new big red building in Golders Green Road.

Ah. they used to be advertised around the same time, hence my confusion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birdsworth wrote: »
    Arding and Hobbs
    Arding and Hobbs
    ARDING AND HOBBS

A-R-D-I-N-G A-N-D H-O-B-B-S!!!

2000 trains a day stop at Clapham Junction.........
  • pompeyfmpompeyfm Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    #Landport Department Store, Landport Department Store, Landport Department Store, All that a great store should be#

Played on Radio Victory in Portsmouth
  • Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    Bulova.

"It's x o'clock Bulova Watch Time. B U L O V A Bulova. When you know what makes a watch tick, you'll buy a Bulova."

http://www.bulova.com/en_us

Also It's x o'clock Bulova Watch Time. B U L OV A Bulova, makers of Accutron the electronic tuning fork watch.

and the jingle "To choose the perfect gift just remember this rhyme... when something happy happens it's Bulova watch time."

Crazy we still remember these!