Options

Torchwood - confirmed or cancelled

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
Forum Member
Hi all this is my very first post ever i have been a long time reader and now i am a poster

has there been anything to confirm or deny that we will have a new torchwood has RTD even looked about a new set location as i believe he had to move wen he gave up doctor who.

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is neither confirmed no cancelled!

welcome to the forum though, sorry can't be more helpful!
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither. Welcome to the forum :)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RTD and BBC Worldwide have been trying to get a US version of Torchwood* up and running.

They were in talks with Fox but that has now fallen through.

They are hoping to get another US network involved.

As to what is happening with the uk version, no one knows (it probably depends on what happens in America).

*Unknown if this is planned as a remake, a continuation or a Spin off to original Torchwood.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    If you watch the video of JB at the panto publicity,I think he gives it away with his smile to camera, I hope so anyway!
  • Options
    Maid MarianMaid Marian Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    If you watch the video of JB at the panto publicity,I think he gives it away with his smile to camera, I hope so anyway!

That was the impression I got too :D but we shall see lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    As far as I see it - Torchwood in the US is definitely a continuation rather than a spin off or re-imagining.

RTD is strong on continuity after all. Whether it has Gwen in it is up for grabs though, which is a shame - I always felt that she grounded it in reality and was the shows 'everyman' character.
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SoundWall wrote: »
    As far as I see it - Torchwood in the US is definitely a continuation rather than a spin off or re-imagining.

This was axed a few weeks ago. Hopefully opening the way for new UK Torchwood. Don't forget that Eve asked for time off after having a baby, so don't panic yet.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Yes the deal with Fox fell through, true enough, but there are lots of other US networks out there?:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Welcome...sadly no news!

We live in hope for a new series tho!
  • Options
    thebill22thebill22 Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe their trying to keep it secret as they don't want people taking photos of them filming which reveals maybe major plot details, therefore if they don't announce it then no one will exactly be looking for them when they are filming if you get what i mean and one week, everyone will buy the tv guides and it will say on the front page Torchwood returns. Well we can live in hope.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thebill22 wrote: »
    Maybe their trying to keep it secret as they don't want people taking photos of them filming which reveals maybe major plot details, therefore if they don't announce it then no one will exactly be looking for them when they are filming if you get what i mean and one week, everyone will buy the tv guides and it will say on the front page Torchwood returns. Well we can live in hope.

After last season's fiasco when DVDs were sent out early and word got out about Ianto's death, I'd say filming pics are the least of their worries :(

We'll know as soon as it gets confirmed, if it gets confirmed. The producers will want to start building hype asap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that if it still hasn't been confirmed a year after Children of Earth then it's very doubtful it'll be back. :( But we can hope, I love Torchwood so much!
  • Options
    outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    Dizx wrote: »
    I think that if it still hasn't been confirmed a year after Children of Earth then it's very doubtful it'll be back. :( But we can hope, I love Torchwood so much!

We once waited nine years for the Doctor to return - and he did - so keep hoping!

I'd like to think that, with the quality of CoE (and it's impressive viewing figures), Torchwood will return. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Referring back to my previous message a few weeks back:

Hmmmm, quite apart from the devistation that wrecked The Hub ... the area is currently under major refurbishment with extensive building being undertaken ... perhaps the powers that be are waiting for the work to near completion before they decide whether or not to re-site the Cardiff HQ in the same location ... baring in mind that the new BBC studios are planned to be located less than a mile away ... would also give RTD to approach other interested networks in the USA ... giving them ample time to decide if they wish to be part of the Torchwood future ... and with JB's current DHw's commitments through to the end of the Summer and panto at Christmas, any local (UK) production is not likely to commence until next Spring ... this break would also give EM a chance to enjoy being a mum in the most crucial of times ... come on, be realistic ...
  • Options
    ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically, who cares ? The show was just a vehicle for extended same-sex loves scenes anyway... You can see that any day of the week down in Brighton for free...

..and that's a series with no foreseeable ending.

D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    ductur wrote: »
    Basically, who cares ? The show was just a vehicle for extended same-sex loves scenes anyway... You can see that any day of the week down in Brighton for free...

..and that's a series with no foreseeable ending.

D

Who cares? All three series drew millions of viewers, so obviously a fair proportion of them will "care" about a fourth series.

The actors and crew employed by the BBC will also "care".

As for the "extended same-sex loves scenes" - hmmmm, I must have blinked and missed those :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mijbil wrote: »
    and with JB's current DHw's commitments through to the end of the Summer

JB has already finished filming DH and is back in the UK.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Fox would only progress the project if RTD made the male lead straight. I would imagine that was a major part of the break down in talks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Belinda wrote: »
    Who cares? All three series drew millions of viewers, so obviously a fair proportion of them will "care" about a fourth series.

The actors and crew employed by the BBC will also "care".

As for the "extended same-sex loves scenes" - hmmmm, I must have blinked and missed those :rolleyes:

Well unless I am mistaken (and that's quite possible) all of the main protagonists and seveal of the antagonists had same-sex encounters in the first series alone. Even I saw those and I don't like to Blink much.. ;)

Maybe bi-sexuality is a requirement for employment by Torchwood ? I wonder if Mickey knows this...:D

D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well unless I am mistaken (and that's quite possible) all of the main protagonists and seveal of the antagonists had same-sex encounters in the first series alone. Even I saw those and I don't like to Blink much.. ;)

Maybe bi-sexuality is a requirement for employment by Torchwood ? I wonder if Mickey knows this...:D

D

So now you have modified "extended same-sex loves scenes" to "same-sex encounters".

Not quite the same thing, eh? ;)
  • Options
    Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »

Oh No He Doesn't...

[Grabs coat and runs]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Belinda wrote: »
    So now you have modified "extended same-sex loves scenes" to "same-sex encounters".

Not quite the same thing, eh? ;)

I beg to differ. By "love scenes" I didn't mean physical sex, otherwise I would have said that. I think Ianto's death at the end of CotE was an extended same-sex love scene, and a very well done one, at that. It's just that the entire show just seemed to me to be constructed around finding ways to show that type of encounter and the aliens / x-files type of occurences began to take second place, almost getting in the way of the real story, which was The Story of Jack Harkness.
    It lost it's way.

D
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Oh No He Doesn't...

[Grabs coat and runs]

Oh yes he........ah I see what you did there ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I beg to differ. By "love scenes" I didn't mean physical sex, otherwise I would have said that. I think Ianto's death at the end of CotE was an extended same-sex love scene, and a very well done one, at that. It's just that the entire show just seemed to me to be constructed around finding ways to show that type of encounter and the aliens / x-files type of occurences began to take second place, almost getting in the way of the real story, which was The Story of Jack Harkness.
    It lost it's way.

D

Oh dear :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    It's just that the entire show just seemed to me to be constructed around finding ways to show that type of encounter and the aliens / x-files type of occurences began to take second place, almost getting in the way of the real story, which was The Story of Jack Harkness.
    It lost it's way.

But Torchwood was always meant as more of an ensemble piece, it was never the story of Jack Harkness. If anything, the writers went out of their way to make his story as vague as possible.

If anything, the biggest obstacle to continuing the story is the fact they have now killed 3 of the original 5 members of the team. Having just Jack and Gwen would make it too similar to the Doctor+Assistant format.

As for complaining about same-sex love scenes, is that really such a big deal these days? OK I agree the first series tried a bit too hard to be shocking and adult, but series 2 and 3 saw the Jack/Ianto storyline develop beautifully.