Options

Planning Permision for TV Aerials

pete32pete32 Posts: 114
Forum Member
Hi,
Has anybody heard of a law requiring planning permision for more than four TV aerials on a building or block of flats?
Cheers, Pete.

Comments

• Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally a TV aerial is included in "permitted development" and likewise satellite dishes limited to two per property.

I have encountered a case where a development was deemed too high density where the council granted planning permission only with all normal permitted development rights suspended, so there you would have needed PP for a tv aerial.

Some whole estates are granted permission on the understanding there will be no outside aerials whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Dave, I've put 20 aerials, yes that how they wanted it on a block of flats, they can't be seen from the street or anywhere else, how permited is that? Pete.
  • Options
    Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simply, it's not. More than 4 antennas on a building taller than 15m = Planning Permission required.

The Council planners - if they become aware - could, potentially, enforce their removal.

See:
    http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/ant/antenna_guide.html
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete32 wrote: »
    Thanks Dave, I've put 20 aerials, yes that how they wanted it on a block of flats, they can't be seen from the street or anywhere else, how permited is that? Pete.

You won't lose out, but your customers could do. They are responsible for obtaining planning permission not you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your help guys, I've now convined them that one aerial is the best root. Now where I am going to find a space for 19 Group A's.
  • Options
    lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extra considerations may be needed if the building is "Listed" or is in a Conservation Area. Normally you are OK if the aerial or dish is not visible from the street or public areas but the local authority should be consulted in case special Listed Building Consents are needed.
  • Options
    JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Have a look at this:
    http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/tools/antennaguide

You are only allowed two antennas. They are restricted in sizes. A common misconception is that that applies only to dishes - it doesn't - it applies to ALL antennas.

However, I've yet to see it enforced!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamesE wrote: »
    Have a look at this:
    http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/tools/antennaguide

You are only allowed two antennas. They are restricted in sizes. A common misconception is that that applies only to dishes - it doesn't - it applies to ALL antennas.

However, I've yet to see it enforced!

It only applies to aerials over a certain size. DAB should be outside the scope.

These rules are for new installations only. If you had half a dozen aerials before the restrictions came in, then you can keep them. Also if they have been installed for a period without any challenge, I think it's five years, then again you cannot be forced to remove them.

This does not apply to listed buildings where any unauthorised alteration is a criminal offence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    In theory you need planning permission for anything above the roof line. i.e one aerial. in practice no one worries.
    Generally you don't need planning for 1 or 2 antennas on premises where the building is <15m tall, or up to 4 antennas for those >15m.
    It only applies to aerials over a certain size.
    Antennas must be under 100cm in any linear dimension for 1; and <60cm for the second (or 1st also, depending on its location).

Neither of you appear to have read and/or understood the planning guidelines linked to previously. I think they are quite comprehensive and clearly written.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither of you appear to have read and/or understood the planning guidelines linked to previously. I think they are quite comprehensive and clearly written.

But they are only guidelines and subject to general planning law and its exceptions and requirements as I have previously described.

eg if the local authority choose not to strictly enforce the guidelines, then there is nothing the general public can do except elect new councillors. Judicial review of planning decisions can only be commenced by applicants or planning authorities.

I speak as someone who has taken the Secretary of State for the Environment for judicial review of a planning decision as a litigant in person and won. It was nothing to do with TV aerials. But I do know a little about planning law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they are only guidelines and subject to general planning law and its exceptions and requirements as I have previously described.

But I do know a little about planning law.

I only objected to your comment re DAB antennas NOT requiring planning (in case it misled anyone else reading the thread) .... all the rest of your post made perfect sense.

Everyone can approach their council's planning officers for informal guidance / opinion if they are in any doubt as to whether their individual antenna installations plans need formal approval.