Gotham (UK Pace) - Starts Monday 13th October 9pm

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surprised to hear the Please Sir! theme in last week's episode .
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I've seen comments related to this elsewhere, tough break for Alfred....

Because he didn't show any interest in an underage girl, he must be gay?

Ouch....

It wasn't the fact that he wasn't interested in an underage girl. It was Bruce's comment to him that he didn't like girls.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think much of the Harvey Dent episode. He appeared in 3 scenes, but he seems like an interesting character. The scene where he went mental at Lovecraft was supposed to show his inner dark side. I think it worked. The main storyline was rubbish though.

Still not keen on having Bruce in every single episode and with Selina joining him to live with him in the mansion made me kind of puke. Still, there were a couple of good scenes when she talked tough with him and it hit him in the gut.

Think Nygma's appearance in this episode and last week's has been the best we've seen of him so far. He seemed to fit in for once. Same goes for Alfred for this episode and the last.

The lack of Falcone/Maroni hurts the show, but in their place Fish is still decent entertainment value.

Penguin is still the highlight of the series and interesting to see what angle they're going to take now that Penguin has found out about Liza.

Barbara going back to her lesbian ex-lover? Either keep her with Bruce or separate them permanently. Not interested in this back and forth between the two.

Black Mask episode i thought was good. It worked for me - main storyline plus everything else with Bruce going back to school and being picked on and Penguin wanting to make amends with Fish. Did anyone else want Fish to kiss Liza on the lips in that episode or was it just me? Lol.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    What the F do channel 5 mean 'back in spring' >:(>:(>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they mean a mid-season break. The same way The Walking Dead is taking one and won't be back until Feb next year. When Gotham returns i don't know, but damn i'm going to miss this show!
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    such a scatological approach this has but pity dent is getting such a crappy story so far, maybe one well know character too far?

but switching gordon to arkham should make a nice change .....

see you in the SPRING
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    It was an ok episode and hopefully finishes the whole Bruce/Selina story for a bit

Im guessing that by having Gordon working in Arkham we will have a lot more cameo of future Batman villians such as Dr Jonathan Crane etc

I was suprised to hear them say that Gotham will return on Channel 5 in the spring as I thought it was back in January in the U.S. but from looking I seem to find different reports saying that it will be back in January on Fox but others saying it will be spring.I can't see Channel 5 delaying it until the spring unless it was happening the same in the US
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It starts again Jan 5th in the USA.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spring??? Not impressed with that decision!!
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well if it's back on the 5th January in the US then the first season could be nearly over by the time channel 5 start showing the second half and it will be difficult to avoid spoilers
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    It was obvious they would screen it in two blocks worth of episodes. Why on earth is anyone surprised about this ? It's the most sensible way of scheduling a show like this in the UK. Regardless of when it returns in the US they will not air new episodes every week, and the UK audience does not like those gaps.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Gotham's monday night slot is going to be used by CH5 to air the final 13 episodes of The mentalist, if so that would mean it not returning until April.
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    It was obvious they would screen it in two blocks worth of episodes. Why on earth is anyone surprised about this ? It's the most sensible way of scheduling a show like this in the UK. Regardless of when it returns in the US they will not air new episodes every week, and the UK audience does not like those gaps.

People are surprised that its not coming back until Spring, which is miles away, not that the season is being split, that should be expected.

I'm enjoying the series, but it's by no means a "must watch" for me, I don't fret over missing Mondays episodes and generally catch up later in the week in comparison to other shows I have to watch when they've first aired. However, the longer the lay off the less likely I'll continue with the show and who's to say something better wont be on when it returns in the same time slot. The quality hasn't been high enough to guarantee loyalty imo and the longer the gap the worse for casual viewers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised Channel 5 have decided not to air the 2nd half of season 1 until April. They do this to every US show which drops in ratings or isn't as successful as they expected. They never give any US show a chance. Although with the amount of breaks US shows take during the year for holidays, sports events and other things, we'll probably catch up eventually.
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised Channel 5 have decided not to air the 2nd half of season 1 until April. They do this to every US show which drops in ratings or isn't as successful as they expected. They never give any US show a chance. Although with the amount of breaks US shows take during the year for holidays, sports events and other things, we'll probably catch up eventually.

Has there been news about bad ratings? Is it definitely starting in April?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    varsas wrote: »

The ratings dropped quite significantly after episode 1. From 2m to 1.35m for episode 2. Last weeks episode was only 920k. I can't see Channel 5 sticking with it if ratings continue to drop. Or else they'll shove it to a midnight slot or 5 USA like they've done with their other US shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ratings dropped quite significantly after episode 1. From 2m to 1.35m for episode 2. Last weeks episode was only 920k. I can't see Channel 5 sticking with it if ratings continue to drop. Or else they'll shove it to a midnight slot or 5 USA like they've done with their other US shows.

There's always a drop off after the first episode; the main issue is whether it's maintained a good showing compared to it's other shows. Figures from BARB for C5:

#1 w/e 7 Dec 2014 2.124M
    #1 w/e 30 Nov 2014 2.220M
    #1 w/e 23 Nov 2014 2.213M
    #1 w/e 16 Nov 2014 2.507M
    #1 w/e 9 Nov 2014 2.453M
    #1 w/e 2 Nov 2014 2.555M
    #1 w/e 26 Oct 2014 2.744M
    #1 w/e 19 Oct 2014 3.200M

It's clearly their most popular show.

C5+1 had Gotham at #1 w/e 7 Dec 2014 0.431M; no show on C5+24 where Expendables was #1 with 0.078M.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ch5 never said. They just said Spring. Everyone on here is guessing it's April when in reality they don't know.
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Ch5 never said. They just said Spring. Everyone on here is guessing it's April when in reality they don't know.

You are correct Sir, March is technically Spring, so it might be then. Still ages away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    You are correct Sir, March is technically Spring, so it might be then. Still ages away.

It's doubtful that the series will run continuously from Jan, Agents of SHIELD is delayed to March to allow for it, so if it's a couple of episodes a month then a March start would put us about the same episodes behind as at the première.

I've enjoyed the series so far but I'm fine to wait. Person of Interest is meant to start in jan so I can watch that :)
  • leeowls87leeowls87 Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem UK broadcasters have with showing US shows at US pace is the breaks become a lot more inconsistent from January-May.

Shows generally run break free give or take a week break for awards shows/specials
    /holidays from September-December

Once we get past Christmas it can get a bit messy, aside from Feb sweeps it is not uncommon to see a show go for example 2 weeks on 1 week off, 3 weeks on 1 week off etc.

UK broadcasters and viewers not in the loop of US TV airings get confused amd annoyed at the constant off and on scheduling of the show (Agents of shield suffered that fate in its 1st season on CH4 when it took a week break here and there when CH4 were showing at US pace)

It is a hard decision to make i'm sure for UK broadcasters as to when to bring back a show following the mid season break, do they bring it back in Jnauary knowing they will have to take another break or even multiple breaks, or wait till March time and ensure they can show it break free but then risk people seeking other means to view the show or having it spolied from reading spoliers somewhere and not tune in.

I would be surprised if CH5 wait till April to resume the season tho, a late Feb/Early March return would be more likely i'd imagine and would see the show end just a few weeks after the US.
  • Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    A decent mid-season finale. Was hoping for more on the Penguin/Fish/Falcone front but suppose we'll get that in part 2 of the season.

Hopefully by being 'back in the spring', Channel 5 mean March. April is a long time to wait to see 12 more episodes.
  • davies24davies24 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    leeowls87 wrote: »
    The problem UK broadcasters have with showing US shows at US pace is the breaks become a lot more inconsistent from January-May.

Shows generally run break free give or take a week break for awards shows/specials
    /holidays from September-December

Once we get past Christmas it can get a bit messy, aside from Feb sweeps it is not uncommon to see a show go for example 2 weeks on 1 week off, 3 weeks on 1 week off etc.

If that's the case won't we end up with Gotham clashing with both The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones in the 9PM timeslot on a Monday?
  • paul_jtpaul_jt Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Frustrating, if not unexpected, should this be a long mid season break. Thanks to varsas for viewing figures.

Alfred had an awesome week, a bit of character history could have been introduced here.
    Might just be me, but got a League of Shadows vibe; professional killers and the greater power uncovered by Lovecraft. A rare episode, reminiscent of the Nolan films.
    Thoroughly enjoyed the Cat and the Bat part 2, though hope it is the last we see of this duo together for some time.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Think Nygma's appearance in this episode and last week's has been the best we've seen of him so far. He seemed to fit in for once. Same goes for Alfred for this episode and the last{/b].
    Agreed, he's becoming my 2nd favourite character of the show.
    There's always a drop off after the first episode; the main issue is whether it's maintained a good showing compared to it's other shows. Figures from BARB for C5:

#1 w/e 7 Dec 2014 2.124M
    #1 w/e 30 Nov 2014 2.220M
    #1 w/e 23 Nov 2014 2.213M
    #1 w/e 16 Nov 2014 2.507M
    #1 w/e 9 Nov 2014 2.453M
    #1 w/e 2 Nov 2014 2.555M
    #1 w/e 26 Oct 2014 2.744M
    #1 w/e 19 Oct 2014 3.200M

It's clearly their most popular show.

C5+1 had Gotham at #1 w/e 7 Dec 2014 0.431M; no show on C5+24 where Expendables was #1 with 0.078M.
    Interesting figure - over 2mil+ every week?! Wow, it's doing better than I thought. Really hope it doesn't drop in its return.