Options

I'm sorry I haven't a clue...

Who else deeply mourned Humphrey Lyttleton's passing whilst listening to "I'm sorry I haven't a clue" on BBC R4 on Monday evening? As much as I wanted the new series to work, without Humph the magic formula has gone.

Jack Dee can have me in stiches when he does stand-up, or when taking the lead in his own projects, but as host on this programme, the script just sounded forced.

Why can't the BBC programmers realise that they must let ISIHAC go out on a high?

Comments

• Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arlequin wrote: »
    Who else deeply mourned Humphrey Lyttleton's passing whilst listening to "I'm sorry I haven't a clue" on BBC R4 on Monday evening? As much as I wanted the new series to work, without Humph the magic formula has gone.

Jack Dee can have me in stiches when he does stand-up, or when taking the lead in his own projects, but as host on this programme, the script just sounded forced.

Why can't the BBC programmers realise that they must let ISIHAC go out on a high?

I can take it without Humph if only they would do away with the letter-writing game and Just a Minim. This week these filled the whole of the second half.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    People said the same after Willie Rushden died, but it worked once people gave it a go.

Plus, it wasn't always Humph- in some episodes from the 70s Barry Cryer hosted, as as the grumpy Humph character. Listening back to it now it's very odd!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    I've never liked the letter writing game but Jack Dee is fantastic at Just A Minim.

His Nicholas Parsons mannerisms are nailed perfectly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    It's still a very enjoyable show post-Humph and therefore well worth a listen on its own merit while at the same time cherishing Humph's shows as the greatest ever long-running set of radio comedy programmes.
  • Options
    jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    85 monks wrote: »
    It's still a very enjoyable show post-Humph and therefore well worth a listen on its own merit while at the same time cherishing Humph's shows as the greatest ever long-running set of radio comedy programmes.
    Spot on.
  • Options
    iamianiamian Posts: 1,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The episode of 17 December 2012 was edited before being put on iplayer.

Anyone any idea what was changed and why?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamian wrote: »
    The episode of 17 December 2012 was edited before being put on iplayer.

Anyone any idea what was changed and why?

How do you know it has been edited unless you heard the original, in which case you would surely know why it was done? But if you need a clue, think what was the main news story the past few days.

I strongly disagree with the decision, but there we are. The nanny state is taking over.
  • Options
    iamianiamian Posts: 1,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't hear the original on Monday 17th but there was an announcement at the beginning of the iplayer version I listened to yesterday.

Therefore I am none the wiser.
  • Options
    james_watersjames_waters Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw in Twitter something about a joke gun fight that was removed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, iamian, I didn't know there was an announcement on iplayer. That makes the decision even more annoying because by making that announcement they are drawing people's attention to what they apparently see as their original lack of taste or judgement. So many people who didn't hear the broadcast and therefore couldn't be upset or offended will now, quite understandably, want to know what all the fuss was about and will therefore have the opportunity also to be upset or offended if they are so minded. Brainless!
  • Options
    mw963mw963 Posts: 3,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been discussed a little here also

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1772975

You refer to the decision as "brainless". I would argue that it's "honest", ie "we've made a mistake and we're admitting it".

I have a feeling that our differing views may well be a "generational" thing, although of course I have no way of knowing that for certain. Whilst having no particular view as to whether removing material of this sort makes any difference in the grand scheme of things, I was very surprised (given BBC traditions in general) when I heard the original broadcast on Monday evening that the programme hadn't been edited before going out - they had had three days or so to think it over. And it would appear now that the someone at the BBC shares this view.

As I say, honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to clarify, I didn't mean that the decision to edit was brainless as I can see there is an argument in favour of it although I don't happen to agree with it. But I do think it's pointless, brainless or similar to announce the edit on iplayer as most people going there would not have heard the original and wouldn't have known anything about the edit but for the announcement. It's just serves to stir up more controversy to no purpose.

I don't see where 'generational' comes into it but if it helps you develop your theory, I am 65.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah I see now what you were driving at. My apologies if I was being a bit slow there.

I have a feeling that the BBC are "obliged" to point out if a podcast or whatever has been "altered", but I may be completely wrong about that. And I'm not sure who does the obliging as it were!

Developing a theory...? Not my style. And if there was a theory it's been blown right out of the water. (I'm 53).

Cheers!
  • Options
    Excess BaggageExcess Baggage Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Who can forget the look of amazement on Una Stubbs face as Lionel Blair threw himself across the table as he attempted to pull off Twelve Angry Men, and still coped with The Sting afterwards...'

Classic ISIHAC:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samantha has to slip out as she's promised to accompany a group of fishermen she recently met on one of their boat trips. She's keen to learn all about fishing and is particularly looking forward to helping to toss the buoys over the side of the boat.

Lyttleton could get away with that, but I notice there are fewer anecdotes concerning Samantha nowadays. Perhaps she's losing her allure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to bring back Sven!
  • Options
    pontypaulpontypaul Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Ken Tun wrote: »
    Time to bring back Sven!

Especially in Portsmouth where he always enjoys Big Ratings!