So all in all, I don't see why ITV bothered showing Skyfall

CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Cut to shreds, even cutting out M's best line, even though it was after the watershed.

Comments

• JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    Cut to shreds, even cutting out M's best line, even though it was after the watershed.

Luckily for men I haven't seen it before, so I wouldn't know any difference. Probably wouldn't notice anyway with a film being 3 hours long. :D
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over 7 million viewers and beat the BBC competition. That's why.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the most watched programme outside the soaps. So I think Itv will be patting themselves on the back
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    It was the most watched programme outside the soaps. So I think Itv will be patting themselves on the back

No it beat the soaps too.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    No it beat the soaps too.

Did it. I never realised they will certainly be patting themselves on the back
  • oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    Corabal wrote: »

Well I'm glad they "bothered" ---- I hadn't seen it so haven't a clue what was cut ...
    Regards.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I watched it and I enjoyed watching it again.

I've got the DVD somewhere, but I was quite happy to watch it again.

I didn't even notice the cuts.

I haven't watched it enough to memorise every scene and line of dialogue, though.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,127
    Forum Member
    I would never watch a film like this on ITV as advert breaks and cuts to content, have had the blu ray since day 1.

However the number of people bothered by cuts is so minute it does not register with ITV when millions will happily watch and almost certainly never be wiser that the film has been cut.

In terms of profile a great film for ITV to have and this plus Downton Abbey should give ITV a great boost in the Christmas ratings when normally they are trounced by the BBC.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, for completeness, what's M's best line then?
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »

Do we really care? The OP said it was "cut to shreds" so obviously M's line was just a small matter! MAybe it was "Come again Moneypenny." "No, it's toothpaste!":D
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »

Probably when she said she'd "f**ked up"
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    I would never watch a film like this on ITV as advert breaks and cuts to content, have had the blu ray since day 1.

Same here.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched my disc version ..... except it was the DVD one and NOT the blooming bluray one :p

stupid they cut anything really, none of it was really THAT cutable .....
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Standard BBC orchestrated trashing of other channels is so boring and blatant.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    If ITV cut the line M uses right at the end, an important part of the film IMO, then im proven right in saying ITV should be banned from ever showing films!
    There is NO reason to cut films, non at all and shame on ITV for editing yet another film out of stupidity.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have The Dark Knight coming up soon...
    Forum Member
    They have The Dark Knight coming up soon...

What's left of it you mean.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    If ITV cut the line M uses right at the end, an important part of the film IMO, then im proven right in saying ITV should be banned from ever showing films!
    There is NO reason to cut films, non at all and shame on ITV for editing yet another film out of stupidity.

I remember watching Goldeneye on ITV a few months ago. I saw it on ITV before back in 2005 and I noticed, when I watched it for the second time, that M's line "We hope that you stay Onatopp of things (a pun on Xenia's surname)" had been cut out. I don't see how squeezing in ad breaks would necessitate cutting lines out of the film.
    Forum Member
    sunhillpc1 wrote: »
    I remember watching Goldeneye on ITV a few months ago. I saw it on ITV before back in 2005 and I noticed, when I watched it for the second time, that M's line "We hope that you stay Onatopp of things (a pun on Xenia's surname)" had been cut out. I don't see how squeezing in ad breaks would necessitate cutting lines out of the film.

Its not predominantly cutting lines and scenes for ad-break time. Its cut because they think Bond films, about an MI6 officer who is basically an assassin and knocks the shit out of bad people is for kids, which is isn't.
    Yes, kids like the films, but fact is, the cut ITV broadcast is edited to hell and back of the BBFC-rated version and yet, there is NO reason to cut anything.
    The Onatopp line is a big part of the Goldeneye film IMO. Its a quip that is telling Bond to pay attention to the job and also, a little joke about him being a ladies man.
    Its not like M is saying "Bang her brains out for Queen and country James, theres a good chap"
    The morons at ITV and UKTV must have been cut from the same cloth because both edit teams are idiots!
  • ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Standard BBC orchestrated trashing of other channels is so boring and blatant.

Post of the year. Johnbee swoops in and takes it in the last few days of December. Top notch.

It has madness, cliches, and style. 10/10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Its not predominantly cutting lines and scenes for ad-break time. Its cut because they think Bond films, about an MI6 officer who is basically an assassin and knocks the shit out of bad people is for kids, which is isn't.
    Yes, kids like the films, but fact is, the cut ITV broadcast is edited to hell and back of the BBFC-rated version and yet, there is NO reason to cut anything.
    The Onatopp line is a big part of the Goldeneye film IMO. Its a quip that is telling Bond to pay attention to the job and also, a little joke about him being a ladies man.
    Its not like M is saying "Bang her brains out for Queen and country James, theres a good chap"
    The morons at ITV and UKTV must have been cut from the same cloth because both edit teams are idiots!

Thanks for the explanation.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,127
    Forum Member
    You have to remember that ITV, BBC or whoever are running scared of OFCOM, it only takes one complaint. I remember the debate here at the time when OFCOM forced ITV to cut Death on the Nile which had happily been receiving daytime screenings for years because one woman complained her child had been emotionally scared by the red mark representing blood on the victim's blouse after the shooting. Was all off camera and the red mark signified she had been shot in the chest.

If you want to see films uncut pay for Sky Movies, Netflix or buy the DVD. Don't expect ITV or BBC to broadcast them.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    You have to remember that ITV, BBC or whoever are running scared of OFCOM, it only takes one complaint. I remember the debate here at the time when OFCOM forced ITV to cut Death on the Nile which had happily been receiving daytime screenings for years because one woman complained her child had been emotionally scared by the red mark representing blood on the victim's blouse after the shooting. Was all off camera and the red mark signified she had been shot in the chest.

If you want to see films uncut pay for Sky Movies, Netflix or buy the DVD. Don't expect ITV or BBC to broadcast them.

Why don't the studio just make anodine versions of films for ITV... shorter running time, all the action in a central safe zone and excessive product placement. (Shaken not stirted.. on offer at Tesco... Licence to Kill.. get one now from the Post Office ..etc..etc).

OK.. jest and boredom leads to stupidity, but serious point: didn't the studios at one time make TV and airline versions of movies, albeit for US consumption. ITV always cut films, but esentially kept to the UK cinematic release.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More > Movies are showing Blue Thunder again, it was a good example of a film full of expletives which got the melon farmers treatment when shown on one of the main channels however the print currently in use seems to be intact. Small mercies....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get you to tune in so it could sell airtime to advertisers. They really didn't put it on for your viewing pleasure!