iPad error can't connect to server

ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
Forum Member
Last 2 weeks I've been going mad with the iPad 3 error message - cant connect to server. My laptop (and tried netbook) work fine. Wifi signal strength is fine. Speed is 5mbps as per normal. It is becoming more and more prevalent and annoying. Mail on iPad is unaffected.

I googled and many people have the same issue with the iPad, whether running iOS 5 (I've not yet upgraded) or iOS 6.
Apple of course 'know nuuuthing' and say it's my home connection, but are at a loss to explain why ancient MacBook connects just fine when placed right next door, or apart.

Someone suggested a fix using an open DNS 208.67.222.222 but no idea if they're in England or US and don't want to mess up settings, which are the same no for router and DNS.
My heart sinks at resetting iPad - having to reload all apps etc.

Has anyone found an easy fix round this problem? Seems specific to iPads. Cheers

Comments

• ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Exact text of intermittent error messages:
    Network error- a server with the specified hostname could not be found;

Safari/Chrome cannot open the page because the server cannot be found.

Only affects the iPad, not laptop (used simultaneously). My internet connection is stable.
    No-one else has had this problem?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will not cause any harm to try the OpenDNS service to see if that makes any difference. Where the DNS servers are is irrelevant. All that matters is that they do the job required.

I have on occasion had to use OpenDNS when my own ISP had a few issues and not had any issues using them. Just put the OpenDNS server IP address on the iPad and it won't affect anything else connected to your router.

Easy enough to return it to normal if it doesn't work.
    Forum Member
    sorry to be thick. Do I change the router and DNS IPs to the OpenDNS IP?
    Should I raise this as a tech query with my ISP first? I assumed it was a problem unique to the iPad as the laptop/s are ok.
    thank you for your help
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,847
    Forum Member
    Mines the same. Always so bad, although im not sure if its like this now cos ive run out of tarrif or a network problem
    Forum Member
    How can it be a network problem if laptops work fine at the same time?! Personally I think it has to be an iPad wifi glitch.
    Lots of moaners on google if you search but no-one's found a def solution. Those who are lucky enough to have it happen within weeks of buying, get their iPad switched by Apple, as lots of iPads are ok.
    The wifi signal is way lower than my old MBPs one on the iPad too, when used in another room from the router.

I'm going to speak to tech support at ISP today. iPad is fine again. Fault is intermittent.

This, and mail app freezing in drafts folder (v common) are 2 annoying issues with the iPad 3.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to be thick. Do I change the router and DNS IPs to the OpenDNS IP?
    Should I raise this as a tech query with my ISP first? I assumed it was a problem unique to the iPad as the laptop/s are ok.
    thank you for your help
    You just change the DNS address on the iPad. Leave the Router address as is.

I'm running iOS 5 on an iPad 1 and can't recall any issues with it. Which might suggest that your problem is more iPad 3 than iOS related?
    Forum Member
    Might be the iPad, although it does throw those error messages occasionally (less often) when opening article links on the laptop. Router's new and is showing a constant connection. I have emailed tech support at my ISP
    So bad today I was enjoying the other thread on using iPad as a cutting board...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    Have you turned the iPad off recently? I had this a while ago and tried all sorts of things to no avail. In the end I tried a hard reset which sorted the problem immediately.

It's easy with iPads to go for months without actually turning them off properly. I think like all computers they eventually get into a bit of a tangle and need to start agin from scratch.