Fiction set in Paris...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm lucky enough to be off to Paris for a long weekend soon. I'm looking for books to read on the train and I'd like stories set in Paris if possible, to get me in the mood :)

I don't like Dan Brown (or similar), and I've read Tale of Two Cities. Can anyone recommend anything?

Comments

• TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Suite Francaise by Irène Némirovsky is about the flight from Paris before the nazi invasion.
    Down and Out in Paris and London, though it's not fiction.
    My favourite would be The Count of Monte Cristo but probably a bit long and a bit heavy for a weekend away.
    Forum Member
    Old Geroit - Balzac... always makes me sad a but a good read.

I'm sure there are lots more.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Destiny by Sally Beauman. It's not set exclusively in Paris, but Paris does pay a big part of the story.
    Forum Member
    I suppose there's Stendhal's Red And The Black. The second half of that is set in Paris but I think Dumas does it better.
  • tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try one of the dozens and dozens of Simenon's Maigret books.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Notre-Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo; or the Hunchback of Notre Dame as it is more popularly known as.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are all oldish novels

Arnold Bennett - The Old Wives Tale (tale of two sisters one of whom fled The Potteries for Paris where they reunite)

Somerset Maugham - The Moon and the Sixpence (About a man who leaves his wife to live as an artist in Paris; seen as a fictionalised account of the life of Gauguin)

A J Cronin - A Thing Of Beauty (also known as Crusader's Tomb, similar to the last novel except it involves a young man leaving his father to live as an artist in Paris)

Jean Rhys - Good Morning Midnight (semi-autobiographical novel about a creole woman living in 1930s Paris)

Henry Miller - Quiet Days in Clichy (stream of consciousness about an artist and his friend who inhabit a room in Paris)

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual (portrait of a Paris apartment and its inhabitants)

Zola L'Assommoir (The Dickens of Paris)
  • Nuts In MayNuts In May Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Left Bank by Kate Muir.

Darker chick-lit.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love reading books in the place where I'm on holiday. Bizarrely though, despite having been to Paris many times, I can't think of a single book I've read set in Paris!

My mum loved Suite Francaise. She lived in Paris in the 60s and said the book really reminded her of the Paris she knew.

Ooh, I've just remembered - I LOVED Julia Child's My Life In France. Not all of it is set in Paris, but the first half or so is, and it's very evocative of post-war Paris, and is very funny and easy to read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone - some good ideas here.

Off now to consult Amazon. Also going to the library tomorrow so will take a list :)
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone - some good ideas here.

Off now to consult Amazon. Also going to the library tomorrow so will take a list :)

Enjoy yourself in Paris. It is a beautiful city. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy. Set in 1950s Paris.
    Or, Down and Out in Paris and London- George Orwell.