Options

British Woman on Death Row.... innocent??

13»

Comments

• Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    And I use my vote to try to affect change just like you do. What more can I do? What if I were from a state that prohibits the death penalty? Would I still have blood on my hands?

Tell me, which less barbaric country will you be moving to?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the bit in bold.

BRB I mean, if the war is illegal then it's not something that the population are responsible for. They are responsible for holding those responsible for it to account though.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    BRB I mean, if the war is illegal then it's not something that the population are responsible for. They are responsible for holding those responsible for it to account though.

Why are you not responsible? Was Tony Blair not re-elected after the invasion? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are you not responsible? Was Tony Blair not re-elected after the invasion? :confused:

Because the government have a responsibility to their people to follow the law. When they operate outside of the law then they are outside of the people's remit.
    Executing people is within that law, as a comparison... but the British people are still responsible to some degree for Iraq anyway as they used our money, I'm just saying it was not taken legally. Got that now, can I go to bed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes no sense, and you didn't address my point about Blair being re-elected, nor you didn't address my point about state execution being illegal in some U.S. states. Your argument is far too simplistic, holier than thou, not to mention extremely melodramatic and unfair, using language like "blood on their hands".

I'm not stopping you from going to bed. We're off-topic anyway.
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    Because the government have a responsibility to their people to follow the law. When they operate outside of the law then they are outside of the people's remit.
    Executing people is within that law, as a comparison... but the British people are still responsible to some degree for Iraq anyway as they used our money, I'm just saying it was not taken legally. Got that now, can I go to bed?

As we did not take a vote on the war it is ridiculous to say we are responsible.

You cannot know what a government will do when you vote for it so unless you expect people to have divine powers of insight I would love to see by what theory you hold them to account.

If you votes Labor in the full knowledge they would definitely go to war then you might have a point.

Additionally we have no choice but to pay taxes (or go to prison) so that's not a responsibility either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    As we did not take a vote on the war it is ridiculous to say we are responsible.

You cannot know what a government will do when you vote for it so unless you expect people to have divine powers of insight I would love to see by what theory you hold them to account.

If you votes Labor in the full knowledge they would definitely go to war then you might have a point.

Additionally we have no choice but to pay taxes (or go to prison) so that's not a responsibility either.

of course we have a responsibility as citizens, for what our government do... that's the whole point. We have to hold them to account and make sure they do as we tell them or else they will do what they like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes no sense, and you didn't address my point about Blair being re-elected, nor you didn't address my point about state execution being illegal in some U.S. states. Your argument is far too simplistic, holier than thou, not to mention extremely melodramatic and unfair, using language like "blood on their hands".

I'm not stopping you from going to bed. We're off-topic anyway.

I thought I had addressed your point about Blaire being re-elected before you even made it,
    They (the people) are responsible for holding those responsible for it to account.
    Fine whatever, it's illegal in some states. I don't see what one comment I made about it being none of my business what some americans chose to do in their own country has spiraled into this irritating off topic meander into how government works anyway.
    And yes there is blood on their hands because they are executing people... how is that melodramatic, it's fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never personally executed anyone. When I can, I vote for politicians who are against the death penalty, I've even signed a petition or two. Beyond that, I am powerless, so for you to try to lay the sins of others at my feet because of where I was born, is unfair and simplistic. If this woman is executed it will not be on my hands because I am not from Texas and I have never paid taxes there. Alright?