Losing weight

DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since been ill in May and on doctors advice when I was 24st. I lost 2st 7 lbs. I was also advised to join Slimming World by doctor as well and through them lost another 4st in weight. So in total I have really lost 6st 7 lbs and weigh 17st 6 lbs.

I also started to go for walks around my town on a morning. I feel I have tons of energy and am feeling fitter than what I have ever done in the 20 odd years and have also changed my eating habits as well. I have cut out eating all the crap that I use to eat. I need to lose another 5st to get to my ideal weight.

Comments

• whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since been ill in May and on doctors advice when I was 24st. I lost 2st 7 lbs. I was also advised to join Slimming World by doctor as well and through them lost another 4st in weight. So in total I have really lost 6st 7 lbs and weigh 17st 6 lbs.

I also started to go for walks around my town on a morning. I feel I have tons of energy and am feeling fitter than what I have ever done in the 20 odd years and have also changed my eating habits as well. I have cut out eating all the crap that I use to eat. I need to lose another 5st to get to my ideal weight.

Keep going you are doing so well, can I suggest you do also a little bit of free weights exercises to tone up a little. It also helps in losing weight.

Don't worry if you lapse a little it happens, just try to remember how good it feels when you are on the scales and another few pounds have come off.
  • Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    6 1/2 stone in 6 months? Wow.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member

What's your point?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    What's your point?

Maybe the OP just wanted to share his good news - no harm in that. I bragged a bit when I lost 8 stone a couple of years ago and won a ton of money for doing so.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Different things work for different people. My brother in law went on slimming world and went from just over 17 stone to around 12 in about 6-7 months, whereas I tried it and lost 3 stone in just over 7 months(It takes longer when you have less to lose), which was mostly muscle, which slowed my metabolism down and I ended up putting back on more than i'd lost very quickly. Whereas on Low carb I lost hardly any muscle atall and have been able to keep nearly 2 stone off for over a year now.
    If what you're doing is still working for you then i'd say carry on. You'll probably need to change your diet it as you get within afew pounds of your goal but I wouldn't worry about it unless it slows down or stalls.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Well done OP I lost two and a half stone with SW I was four pounds from target and just couldn't get there.

Haven't been for a few months also been on my hols so started back last week having gained five pounds.

Weigh in to morrow -fingers crossed.

Like you I feel fitter/younger than I have in years .......I wish you every success. SW is such a great and easy plan to follow isn't it?
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to the OP. Well done - not easy I'd guess.
    Keeo up your hard work and I hope you get where you want to be as soon as is healthily possible ! :)
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done!

If possible, try to do some kind of stretching exercise routine. Loose skin will probably be a bit of a problem, especially as you have lost a lot of weight quickly. I don't know what else can be done about it apart from moisturising, perhaps someone with experience of it might have some advices.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done, Keep going, I used to be 17 stones at the age of 16, I joined the GYM, used the treadmill everyday at a fast speed for 10 minutes, as well as use the bikes and lost 8 stones within a year, I started in Feb and was skinny by September, I got to 9 stones, however was told I lost too much weight too quickly and had gain a little back, now I can maintain my weight of 11-13 stones, as long as its inbetween that, I'm good!

Do you have access to a treadmill? that helped me a lot,
    I used to diet as well!

If you have the will power, motivation and dedication, I believe any overweight person can lose weight!

:)
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Well done, Keep going, I used to be 17 stones at the age of 16, I joined the GYM, used the treadmill everyday at a fast speed for 10 minutes, as well as use the bikes and lost 8 stones within a year, I started in Feb and was skinny by September, I got to 9 stones, however was told I lost too much weight too quickly and had gain a little back, now I can maintain my weight of 11-13 stones, as long as its inbetween that, I'm good!

Do you have access to a treadmill? that helped me a lot,
    I used to diet as well!

If you have the will power, motivation and dedication, I believe any overweight person can lose weight!

An exercise bike or rowing machine might be better than a treadmill, because they are low-impact. It's easy to damage or stress one's ankles and knees when running while very heavy.

Plus you can move these machines around and put them in front of the tv!
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    That is fantastic :). Mum does slimming world too and it's the only thing that's worked for her having tried Weightwatchers and all sorts.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    benbenalen wrote: »

Yes it's scientifically inevitable. If you use more calories by exercise and existing than that which you consume in your food then you are guaranteed to lose weight.

The shortfall has got to come out of your stored fat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might want to swing by the Weight Loss 2013 thread in the Advice sub-forum.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well done OP. I think with weight loss its a good idea not to look at it as 5 more stone to lose but break it down, so for example aim to lose between 1-2 pounds per week, or say another stone by xmas that kind of thing. 5st to lose sounds like a mountain to climb but if you say 1st to lose by xmas it doesn't sound to daunting.

Good luck OP
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done OP... I know how hard it can be to shake off weight... I lost 3 1\2 stone over the last 8 months or so, still have about 2 stone to go but its getting mightily hard... Back to the strict diet and exercise from today after a week slip up because I was sick.

Best of luck loosing the rest!