Options

Problems with my degree

Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am currently doing a degree, in my 2nd year (I didn't do the 1st year because I passed a certificate which meant I got onto the 2nd year).

I haven't done any coursework and haven't attended 5 classes, because I have been suffering with stress, and when I have stress I just shut down, and don't want to do anything.

I have made the decision to email the course administrator explaining what problems I am having and asking to retake the module and basically fail on this module, and start afresh for my next module, as I know that I will overcome my stress.

My mind is more settled now I have come to this decision but I was wondering whether anyone has done something similar?

Comments

• Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, getting past the module you're flunking is only part of the issue. The course is not going to get any easier, and the workload will probably increase. Not to mention the pure stress of doing your final exams.

You've got to address the underlying issue of why you are not going to lectures and why you are skipping your coursework. You must decide that you are going to do the course properly and commit to that fully - if not you may as well just drop out rather than stress yourself through to the end when you fail due to lack of work.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Degree is attained through work put in, coasting (which I believe you are contemplating) and doing as little as possible (for whatever reason) is not going to achieve you anything. Get to your GP and get some help otherwise you're going to waste a lot of time doing a degree for nothing!

I suffered with terrible stress when I did my first degree, I struggled with coursework but got help which then helped me clear my mind and knuckle down!
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    If you are getting stressed in your first year of uni, then what are you doing to combat this going forward?

It will only get harder and more stressful, so unless you sort out the stress issue and find a way of dealing with it then this will just happen again and again and you won't have the luxury of retaking modules over and over.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Free as a bird ... Go and see you GP ..
    .or the counselling service at the students union...
    They can help you ..... And perhaps talk to your tutor....
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    A Degree is attained through work put in, coasting (which I believe you are contemplating) and doing as little as possible (for whatever reason) is not going to achieve you anything. Get to your GP and get some help otherwise you're going to waste a lot of time doing a degree for nothing!

I suffered with terrible stress when I did my first degree, I struggled with coursework but got help which then helped me clear my mind and knuckle down!

That is good advice and then following that GP's appointment, I'd suggest going to see the the university's (not the student union's) formal student health/welfare service to keep them informed and for official records. That way if you have known health issues of one sort or another, that can potentially be taken into account when it comes to your final degree so that you get some form of qualification in the end.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    University is stressful. Although there are numerous stress relieving techniques which can be employed.

Communication is a very important part of a degree and is always best to get that part sorted out pretty quickly. Although I can't quite see how you can possibly fail a module as it has become very easy to find the information needed and formulate an argument.

We often talked to other students and found it useful. There were a lot of stressed people and teamwork was jolly useful. We would have discussion groups in our spare time and we discussed our issues together.
  • Options
    Jaydogg_HomeJaydogg_Home Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Personally, I'd take a year out (since you're only in the 2-3rd month of the first year, since you came straight on to year 2 of the course.) Go to the GP, get your head sorted, see if your uni will let you have access to the martial of your course/ask your lectures to Email you PowerPoint's or good sources of reference material. Study and work from that on your own, and if you're feeling more confident, focused and feel you can achieve at least the minimum, return and try again. You're not in a good place, you've missed Lectures and seminars, get that head straight, get helpful info, research it, go back next year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Id be worried about retaking the module, our uni would allow it in certain circumstances but you could only pass/fail - there was no grading, and therefore it'll affect your overall grade at the end of the degree