Options

Airshows should be BANNED!!

Comments

• Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    and you could also argue that he steered it onto a busy road instead of ditching in trees

If you wanted to argue something that was complete and utter nonsense, then yes, I suppose you could argue that.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    The CAA haven't said the regulations are inadequate. They have said regulations will be reviewed, which makes complete sense. At least the CAA SRG know about aviation and can make informed judgements, unlike most people clamouring for kneejerk responses in this thread.

Well, it all depends on whether you believe the CAA regulates in the public good, or are parochial in everything they do, and completely subservient to vested interests.

;-)
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He asks the same question over and over because people evade or refuse to answer a straight question over and over again.

An alternative interpretation is that he asks the same question because he doesn't get the answer he wants. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Fair game when he's going after politicians who receive training in this kind of interview, but I don't know whether John Turner (or "that Taylor man" as he's been referred to in this thread) has had that kind of training.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone is speculating that

"He could've bailed out of that plane at any point, he fought to keep it in the air and he stayed with it all the way down."

without waiting for the report of the accident, then its only fair to have the other opinion put forward.

Is it ok to be calling the pilot a hero, without knowing all the facts?
    I haven't heard anyone publically call the pilot a hero. We don't know the full facts yet anyway. He may have had no control at all at the point for all we know. but it's senseless to counter such a claim by suggesting he steered the plane onto the road, as you did.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it safer to do shows over the sea or over a populated area?

That is a question that needs answering.

Also, why was this show not out to sea, people could have watched from the beach?
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    An alternative interpretation is that he asks the same question because he doesn't get the answer he wants. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Fair game when he's going after politicians who receive training in this kind of interview, but I don't know whether John Turner (or "that Taylor man" as he's been referred to in this thread) has had that kind of training.

I beg your pardon.

Turner it is.

I did look him up, as I wrote to him this morning expressing my extreme distaste for his attitude.

It's nothing to do with training, and everything to do with refusing to answer a highly pertinent but extremely discomforting question.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    The CAA haven't said the regulations are inadequate. They have said regulations will be reviewed, which makes complete sense. At least the CAA SRG know about aviation and can make informed judgements, unlike most people clamouring for kneejerk responses in this thread.

I didn't say they have, I said that some of us (and to be fair, now many other people) have said the regulations are inadequate. I even referred to the CAA statement, posted a few posts above.

This (the matter of the regulations) will, however, be addressed by the CAA in its review and it will undertake "additional risk assessments on all forthcoming civil air displays to establish if additional measures should be introduced."

But in fact, temporary additional restrictions have already been introduced pending their full review and I am quite certain that the regulations will be tightened permanently, at least for some airfields/air displays, and one such will IMO be Shoreham.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't heard anyone publically call the pilot a hero. We don't know the full facts yet anyway. He may have had no control at all at the point for all we know. but it's senseless to counter such a claim by suggesting he steered the plane onto the road, as you did.

"He could've bailed out of that plane at any point, he fought to keep it in the air and he stayed with it all the way down."

This is a statement from a forum member, clearly indicating the bravery and hero status of the pilot.

How do we know this is true, when a fact is that he didnt put it down safely, he put it down killing 20 people.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He could've bailed out of that plane at any point, he fought to keep it in the air and he stayed with it all the way down.
    and you could also argue that he steered it onto a busy road instead of ditching in trees

Actually, both of these are sheer speculation. Although the second one has the additional benefit of being grossly and gratuitously offensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Well, it all depends on whether you believe the CAA regulates in the public good, or are parochial in everything they do, and completely subservient to vested interests.

;-)
    The CAA are completely independent. They are not in the pocket of vested interests.

Adding a smilie doesn't make such a suggestion any more acceptable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is there a minimum starting height of a loop maneuvering?

this pilot was very low to start with
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is a statement from a forum member, clearly indicating the bravery and hero status of the pilot.

How do we know this is true, when a fact is that he didnt put it down safely, he put it down killing 20 people.

You keep mentioning 20, where are your figures from?
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Both are views speculating on what might have happened.

The poster you quote has some sense of logic and sense behind their statement, whereas yours is completely lacking in either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, both of these are sheer speculation. Although the second one has the additional benefit of being grossly and gratuitously offensive.

I was using it to illustrate that we do not know one way or the other, not that it was true.

Pilots are trained to ditch their plane in an area without casualties. This has happened at many air shows, and the pilots are heroes for doing so.

However we have no evidence to back up this statement

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wasn't talking about uninformed speculation by an FM. That isn't a public statement in my opinion. There's far too much uninformed comment in this thread already.

Your suggestion is even worse, that he was aiming at the road. It certainly is not a fact that he crashed on the road deliberately. Your remark is even less welcome than a premature claim the pilot was a hero.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Both are views speculating on what might have happened.

The poster you quote has some sense of logic and sense behind their statement, whereas yours is completely lacking in either.

what is the logic, when the plane came down killing 20 people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your suggestion is even worse, that he was aiming at the road. It certainly is not a fact that he crashed on the road deliberately.

No one is claiming that as a fact, and yet people are claiming the opposite is true with absolutely no reason to.
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the point of these except to show off?

Considering the tragedy of today and others in the past, there's absolutely no need to do these anymore. Too dangerous and idiotic.

What next?

Firing live tank fire in a field with a massive crowd watching?
    I politely suggest that the point of this thread is to do the same? Especially as there is a long running thread on the subject already.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what is the logic, when the plane came down killing 20 people?

I'll ask again (you seem to be ignoring my question) "You keep mentioning 20, where are your figures from? "
  • Options
    qaz123qaz123 Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"ditching" in trees?

He wouldn't have had much choice over where it crashed. Nobody is going to try to land on a busy road deliberately - the usual place to aim for would be fields. Also, he was too low to bail out.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, why was this show not out to sea, people could have watched from the beach?
    See Post #349.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    I'll ask again (you seem to be ignoring my question) "You keep mentioning 20, where are your figures from? "

"police warn death toll could rise to 20"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one is claiming that as a fact, and yet people are claiming the opposite is true with absolutely no reason to.
    You appeared to claim it as a fact, by using the words "a fact is".
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    You keep mentioning 20, where are your figures from?

I think police have mentioned there are twenty people reported missing by their families. Whether they are all dead remains to be seen but I'd say the chances of finding anyone alive diminishes with every hour, especially given the weather conditions.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My apologies to Mr Turner as I didn't catch his name and followed suit when the name Taylor was used by trevgo. An egregious error on my part. I should have stuck with my cop-out term of "interviewee."