Options

Any News On FilmFour HD Yet?

joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
Forum Member
Is FilmFour HD testing yet or is there any more news about this channel apart from the Press Release and Announcement?

I hope it comes to us soon

Comments

• Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Is FilmFour HD testing yet or is there any more news about this channel apart from the Press Release and Announcement?

I hope it comes to us soon

I think it will launch in January.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    methodyguy wrote: »
    I think it will launch in January.
    My theory as well - perhaps Virgin had it exclusive for this calendar year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    My theory as well - perhaps Virgin had it exclusive for this calendar year.

I know that Virgin had it exclusively for at least a year.
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will HD on Film4 make the films any more watchable ?

I record perhaps two a week, and most of them I give up watching after a few minutes !

What looks promising on EPG or in RT, often turns out not to be, for me anyway.
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stigid wrote: »

I record perhaps two a week, and most of them I give up watching after a few minutes !

Do you mean quality of the picture? If so, of course it will be better.

Or do you mean quality of the content, if so picture quality obviously won't help that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know that Virgin had it exclusively for at least a year.
    But they have had it now for over two years so that does not apply - I was trying to think of other reasons why Sky did not add it very soon after the Press Release!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stigid wrote: »

I don't know - I found a really quirky French detective film (with subtitles) the other week which was pretty stylish and totally certain to be nowhere else!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But they have had it now for over two years so that does not apply - I was trying to think of other reasons why Sky did not add it very soon after the Press Release!

I thought the press release stated a 2013 launch for FilmFourHD, More4HD and 4OD on Sky.
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the press release stated a 2013 launch for FilmFourHD, More4HD and 4OD on Sky.

It only stated 2013 for 4od didn't it? And no mention of a date for More4 HD and Film4 HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to the DigitalSpy News Item early 2013 was ONLY set for 4OD and no date was given for the others - but it now looks like they will be about the same time!

Quoting....
    "4OD addition to Sky Go in the early days of 2013, and we're waiting for confirmation of when Film4 HD and More4 HD will land on your tellybox."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KesterK wrote: »
    It only stated 2013 for 4od didn't it? And no mention of a date for More4 HD and Film4 HD.
    According to the DigitalSpy News Item early 2013 was ONLY set for 4OD and no date was given for the others - but it now looks like they will be about the same time!

Quoting....
    "4OD addition to Sky Go in the early days of 2013, and we're waiting for confirmation of when Film4 HD and More4 HD will land on your tellybox."

Most likely all will launch in January. I would have liked More4HD to have been here for the start of Scandal and the return of Southland hopefully we will get it before The Good Wife comes back (I have everything crossed). :p
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know - I found a really quirky French detective film (with subtitles) the other week which was pretty stylish and totally certain to be nowhere else!

I cannot read the subtitles & watch the film at the same time, too distracting. Not my cup of tea at all.

If I want a read, I'll open a book !

Or go on the Internet.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how many Virgin viewers Film 4 HD is available to, but the viewing figures are appalling and I expect that's one reason why its exclusive contract is ending.

Only 536,000 viewers watched it for at least three minutes in the last quarter.

Do Virgin put the HD channels on the same EPG number as the SD ones like Sky, or are they further up the EPG?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    I don't know how many Virgin viewers Film 4 HD is available to, but the viewing figures are appalling and I expect that's one reason why its exclusive contract is ending.

Only 536,000 viewers watched it for at least three minutes in the last quarter.

Do Virgin put the HD channels on the same EPG number as the SD ones like Sky, or are they further up the EPG?

Virgin puts the HD channels next to the SD ones, the next EPG Number along
  • Options
    pete32pete32 Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    So 101=BBC1, 102=BBC1HD, are you sure?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pete32 wrote: »

Obviously NOT the PSB channels 1-5 of course, just the others
  • Options
    disremberdisrember Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember that C4 HD was launched a few weeks before xmas, but was advertised as coming that january
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin puts the HD channels next to the SD ones, the next EPG Number along
    pete32 wrote: »

Nope...he's not sure. Thought you'd disappeared from these boards Joshua as your posts seemed to have dried up. Turns out you came back and you continue to post utter, utter nonsense.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully even if More 4 HD turns out to be a mirage when 4 OD arrives then stuff they have in HD and shown on SD only More 4 will be on catch up in HD. For instance, though they showed The Good Wife series 2 and 3 in SD only they had HD rights (as these have now been shown/are showing on repeat on Channel 4 in the middle of the night.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member
    Hopefully even if More 4 HD turns out to be a mirage when 4 OD arrives then stuff they have in HD and shown on SD only More 4 will be on catch up in HD. For instance, though they showed The Good Wife series 2 and 3 in SD only they had HD rights (as these have now been shown/are showing on repeat on Channel 4 in the middle of the night.

No reason to believe More 4 HD is a mirage. Just not clear when it is turning up. Perhaps the two HD channels and 4OD will all turn up together in a grand launch. I can only imagine that is the plan as there seems no reason why Film 4 HD could not launch on Sky tomorrow if it wanted.
  • Options
    amiloamilo Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any news on when Film 4 HD will launch?
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member
    amilo wrote: »
    Any news on when Film 4 HD will launch?

No official announcements to date from Channel 4 or Sky. More 4 HD is reported to be launching and commencing BARB reporting on Monday 4 February by overnights.tv so that date is also a possibility for Film 4 HD. It already exists as a channel (on Virgin) and already BARB reports so that makes it a little different from More 4 HD.

If not Feb 4 then who can say....
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More 4 HD is already out there but Sky boxes cannot tune it. So until it goes on the EPG only Sky viewers using non Sky boxes can watch it. If you watch the weekly thread on the Sky part of this forum which updates new feeds/channel launches Film 4 HD will be found by someone the minute that it appears. But again it will presumably not be available to tune in by the restricted tuners on Sky boxes. Just other multi sat ones like Humax until it appears on the EPG on the morning of its launch.