When do the seasons begin?

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
Just been reading a debate between the meteorological seasons vs the astronomical seasons.

Personally speaking I go by the meteorological system where spring starts March 1st, summer starts June 1st, autumn starts September 1st and winter December 1st.

It seems a bit barmy to even consider that the first few weeks of December is autumn or the first few weeks of June as spring.

Comments

• ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    For me, one calendar month before the corresponding solstice / equinox seems like a reasonable crossover point.
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meteorological seasons are how most people probably think of the seasons. Four seasons, each season lasting three months.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me i go December, January, February winter, march, april, may spring, june, july, august summer, september, october, november autumn.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^ as above. June, July, Aug = summer. The other seasons simply follow on from there.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    astronomical seasons is what I go on
  • MelodyMakerMelodyMaker Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What does this mean?
    Forum Member
    What does this mean?

Spring: 21 March to 20 June
    Summer: 21 June to 20 September
    Autumn: 21 September to 20 December
    Winter: 21 December to 20 March
  • mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member

See that seems strange to me, winter begins long before December 21st
    Forum Member
    mintbro wrote: »
    See that seems strange to me, winter begins long before December 21st

In your opinion, in mid it doesn't
    Forum Member
    In your opinion, in mid it doesn't

But the whole of December is themed around winter. Any feeling of autumn is long gone by December 21st.
  • Skyler_WrightSkyler_Wright Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything has seasons, and we have to be able to recognize when something's time has passed and be able to move into the next season. Everything that is alive requires pruning as well, which is a great metaphor for endings.
    Forum Member
    But the whole of December is themed around winter. Any feeling of autumn is long gone by December 21st.

Again in your opinion
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does it matter?
    Forum Member
    Again in your opinion

December is generally themed around the build up to Christmas, taking many elements from the winter season. Hardly an opinion, more a fact
    Forum Member
    December is generally themed around the build up to Christmas, taking many elements from the winter season. Hardly an opinion, more a fact

Still doesn't change my opinion on the seasons
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Football season Aug-May
    Walking Dead Season Oct-Feb
    Dogging Season Apr-Oct
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tuesday will be the first day of spring.................... in Australia!
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The changing of the seasons takes time so usually the last week or two of August you can feel a change towards Autumn. It hasn't been as pronounced this year as the summer has been very mild, but you can tell autumn is beginning. And not just because of the evenings drawing in and tree leaves starting to turn... Schools are back, Downton Abbey starts soon and I'm getting excited about Halloween :)

Not long til Christmas and the inevitable oak furniture land adverts. And adverts for perfume that have been on for years...'i'm not going to be who they expect me to be anymore' and charlize theron taking her gold jewellery and clothes off.
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    Football season Aug-May
    Walking Dead Season Oct-Feb
    Dogging Season Apr-Oct

:D:D.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    The changing of the seasons takes time so usually the last week or two of August you can feel a change towards Autumn. It hasn't been as pronounced this year as the summer has been very mild, but you can tell autumn is beginning. And not just because of the evenings drawing in and tree leaves starting to turn... Schools are back, Downton Abbey starts soon and I'm getting excited about Halloween :)

Not long til Christmas and the inevitable oak furniture land adverts. And adverts for perfume that have been on for years...'i'm not going to be who they expect me to be anymore' and charlize theron taking her gold jewellery and clothes off.

Oh yes, of course; what's on the telly decides what season it is, because we never had seasons before tv was invented.
    Similarly, just because the ridiculous build up to an event that happens in winter ( ie. after the winter solstice on 21st Dec ) starts so early it doesn't mean that build up is also in winter. Temperatures in early December are generally well above freezing, no sign of snow or frost, brown/ yellow leaves still on the trees - Autumn, most definitely.
    I'm hoping that now the BBC have ditched the met office ( the originators of the change to meterological seasons ) we can go back to the more sensible astronomical seasons
  • moonlandingsmoonlandings Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spring: when your newborn baby suddenly understands slinkies going down the stairs, and your realise he's no longer newborn, cos he giggles uncontrollably at springy slinkies.

Summer: when your 'newborn baby' understands that when you said you'd read him two stories and he wakes up when you've only read one, and says 'two!" and you realise he can do sums and it's summer and he's no longer newborn.

Autumn: When the leaves fall and he says 'I don't like it' about the new baby.

Winter: When he wins at 'Operation' and you didn't let him win, he actually did win.
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    2015/8/31: 23.59:59 - Summer
    2015/9/1: 00:00:00 - Autumn

Apparently.
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    ^^^ as above. June, July, Aug = summer. The other seasons simply follow on from there.
    Autumn started here a couple of weeks ago (which is pretty typical). But it will go on until the middle of December
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    What I don't understand is why June 21st is referred to as midsummers day. To me that indicates that it means the middle of the summer. But in reality it is the start of summer. So why is it called midsummer? As for this debate I have always thought of Summer being June - August, Autumn being September - November, Winter being December - February and spring being March - May. As far as I am concerned Autumn start on Tuesday. Doesn't seem right to say it is still summer until September 20th.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why June 21st is referred to as midsummers day. To me that indicates that it means the middle of the summer. But in reality it is the start of summer. So why is it called midsummer? As for this debate I have always thought of Summer being June - August, Autumn being September - November, Winter being December - February and spring being March - May. As far as I am concerned Autumn start on Tuesday. Doesn't seem right to say it is still summer until September 20th.

Why not?
    I'm just having a look out of my window at the trees and, low and behold, all the leaves are still green.