Options

Can you move your eye balls around in your head?

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was thinking that most people can move their eyes so that they are looking 'boss eyed' but not many (or any?) can move their eyes so that their eyes both look outward in their head.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Wtf
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What got you thinking about that?
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »

New boyfriend?
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    I can move mine so I can see from the back of my head and also down my nose. :)
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »

My partner often does silly faces and goes boss eyed. So I thought to myself, I wonder why most of us can do that, but I hardly see anyone doing it the other way, where the pupils point outwards

I often think strange things anyway!
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    : rolleyes:
  • Options
    MelodyMakerMelodyMaker Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who can move their eyeballs around in their heads as opposed to in their eyesockets should seek immediate medical attention!
  • Options
    coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marty Feldman, but his was a medical condition.
    I liked him.
  • Options
    coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marty Feldman, but his was a medical condition.
    I liked him - a funny man.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    People can go cross eyed so both eyes can focus on an object close to the face. Evolution has place two forward facing eyes in our heads so that we can judge distances better like other hunting animals. There's no real natural reason for them to point outwards.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humans are hunter gatherers. Our eyes face forwards for hunting. Focusing on objects very close means that we developed eye muscles that pull the eyes inwards, hence why we can go cross-eyed. There's no evolutionary advantage for us to have eyes that look outwards in different directions because we lose depth perception. When gathering, it's more advantageous to work in groups where several members look out for danger and assess the threat level based on distance and speed of approach.

If someone can look outwards in different directions then it's either a medical condition or likely to be the video equivalent of Photoshopping. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dof9TZoxQU
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    I can move mine so I can see from the back of my head and also down my nose. :)

When my grandson was very young and I would catch him doing something when he thought nobody was watching, I used to say I had eyes in the back of my head - he really believed me for a while :D
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure, I'll take them out and grease them up some more.
  • Options
    welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    This is best thing I read
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no evolutionary advantage for us to have eyes that look outwards in different directions because we lose depth perception. When gathering, it's more advantageous to work in groups where several members look out for danger and assess the threat level based on distance and speed of approach.

Ah, but.. Ed Macy wrote a book about being an Apache pilot. Being a hunter/gatherer in one of those requires the ability to focus on their helmet sight and the cockpit/outside world. Which means being able to independently focus & process from each eye.. Which meant he discovered he could also read 2 books at once. Which is weird, and when I tried it, just got a splitting headache.. :p
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm almost 'boss' (cross?) eyed to an extent. I have a condition where I only really focus out of one at time and the other turns in. I think its possible to have the other way, but its not voluntary.
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter can move her eyes inward independently of each other but cant make them move thw other way. She can also wobble her eyes left to right, but the optician told her not to because she could damge her eye muscles.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny Powell can do weird things with her eye. I bet she can do this.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's "boss eyed"?
  • Options
    himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't put my legs behind my head either. ;-)
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great thread Tiacat :-) ha
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anatomically impossible, and so is losing things like contact lenses behind your eye !
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, but.. Ed Macy wrote a book about being an Apache pilot. Being a hunter/gatherer in one of those requires the ability to focus on their helmet sight and the cockpit/outside world. Which means being able to independently focus & process from each eye.. Which meant he discovered he could also read 2 books at once. Which is weird, and when I tried it, just got a splitting headache.. :p
    Quite... but his eyes don't look outwards in two different directions. They're still focused ahead, so you're talking about something different to the OP. :)
  • Options
    moonlandingsmoonlandings Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anatomically impossible, and so is losing things like contact lenses behind your eye !

Are you sure about that? Genuine question.