Good quality nail polishes

nightofjoynightofjoy Posts: 63
Forum Member
Hi.

I'm gonna get my gf a few good quality nail polishes for crimbo. Can anyone suggest and good brands here in the UK that aren't out-of-this-world expensive? She usually wears a sort of a dusky pink dark skin tone colour, or clear, so I'm not looking for anything bright or glittery :) more classic, grown up colours, muted shades.

Cheers.

Comments

• ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What sort of price range?

I LOVE nail varnish and I have lots and lots. My favourite 'posh' brand is Jacava. They're British, free from the really nasty chemicals, have very fancy looking bottles and are fabulous quality. I've tried a LOT of nail varnish and I think Jacava is better than Chanel and Dior, which are both twice the price at least. I can highly recommend them. They're not cheap, but they're not top price either, and they do often have special deals, especially in the run up to Christmas. It would probably make a nice present too, as they're not something she'll have seen in Boots or anywhere.
    http://www.jacava.com/
  • nightofjoynightofjoy Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    What sort of price range?

I LOVE nail varnish and I have lots and lots. My favourite 'posh' brand is Jacava. They're British, free from the really nasty chemicals, have very fancy looking bottles and are fabulous quality. I've tried a LOT of nail varnish and I think Jacava is better than Chanel and Dior, which are both twice the price at least. I can highly recommend them. They're not cheap, but they're not top price either, and they do often have special deals, especially in the run up to Christmas. It would probably make a nice present too, as they're not something she'll have seen in Boots or anywhere.
    http://www.jacava.com/

Yeah, some of the browns, greys and duskier pinks look good in that range, nothing in the sets though. I'd like to find a set where she'd at least try all of the colours, but with the Jacava ones, I just know some would end up on eBay, and that's not what I want from giving a gift :) Thanks though... I might always just go for a few single bottles if I can't find a set elsewhere...
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try OPI nail lacquer. I would say they are one of the best brands out there.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nightofjoy wrote: »
    Yeah, some of the browns, greys and duskier pinks look good in that range, nothing in the sets though. I'd like to find a set where she'd at least try all of the colours, but with the Jacava ones, I just know some would end up on eBay, and that's not what I want from giving a gift :) Thanks though... I might always just go for a few single bottles if I can't find a set elsewhere...

I think you can make your own sets up too, if that helps.
    Forum Member
    mangomoon wrote: »
    Try OPI nail lacquer. I would say they are one of the best brands out there.

OPI it is then. Picked out 5 she should like. Thanks for that! :)

Right, next thing... could anyone do me a favour and measure an OPI lacquer bottle for me? Height & width in mm? Need to sort a gift box now lol

Cheers folks!
    Forum Member
    Nevermind, sorted it :)

This thread can be closed or archived now, thanks.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    Another OPI fan here. Check QVC they have lovely OPI gift sets with nice boxes.

*I don't work for QVC
    Forum Member
    Actually, one last thing. I was just looking at these Scholl electric nian file/buffer sets, thinking that would be a nice thing to go with , but the reviews say they're not that great, and that the oldfashioned way with 'buffer pads' (?) is better. I have no clue what this is. I've seen here with a nail file, and that's about it.

Can you get sets with these pads in along with anything else you need to have nice nails?

Cheers :)
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OPI is great as is Essie and Jessica. I've tried cheaper ones but they tend to chip and also the Summer type colours just do not go on right at all
  • Winchester LadyWinchester Lady Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually buy Leighton Denny nail polishes. QVC but also ebay! I find they are the perfect consistency for a smooth application and the colours have a softness.