Changed my mind about Rylan

oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Last week, I posted a controversial thread about Rylan, titled "As a gay man, Rylan Clark makes me homophobic".

It was quite rightly locked (as a casual DS visitor for six years, I've always been so boringly safe and I've never been banned from DS, so that was the most controversial thing that's ever happened to me on this site!).

Here's the thread if you want to catch up:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1743241

As the fickle X Factor voting public is wont to do, I've changed my mind in the space of six days. I'm still not keen on Rylan as a person, but I've now watched both of his performances and decided I quite enjoyed them.

Six days ago, when I created that thread, I admit I hadn't even watched Rylan's Saturday night performance. I was commenting on Sunday, just after he'd been saved, and quite angry that Carolynne had been eliminated. To help or hinder matters, I'd also been out drinking, so was perhaps particularly belligerent!

I've since watched both of Rylan's live show appearances. I'm still very unsure of him as a person - I don't like the way he speaks to the judges, and I don't like his wittering style - but I freely admit that I've really liked both of his entries. Campy, cheesy, and no great vocal quality... but he *can* sing, and I've enjoyed the songs he's covered, and the good quality production attached to them.

All this amounts to an apology: to Rylan, to everyone who read through my rant last week, and to myself for posting utter nonsense. I still don't particularly like his personal qualities, but I enjoyed his performances and I regret posting what I did.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for you. Seriously. We can all get over-enthusiastic with our comments from time to time but it's big of you to apologise. Don't beat yourself up over it. :)
  • kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rylan doesn't care... and nor do we.
  • oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    Good for you. Seriously. We can all get over-enthusiastic with our comments from time to time but it's big of you to apologise. Don't beat yourself up over it. :)

Thanks, I won't do... I remember some of your posts in that thread ("Get help" sticks in my mind :p) and one of the things that made me post this is my regret at using the word "homophobic"... as you rightly said last week, that's never a good word to use. And it didn't even describe what I really felt. I just used it for effect in the thread title.
    kenny12 wrote: »
    Rylan doesn't care... and nor do we.

Aw, sweetie. Thanks so much. I'm not so delusional to think Rylan has seen this or cares one way or another. But I guess you're his personal spokesman. Must be a busy job, especially when you also have to represent the collective "we" of DS.
  • Dreammaster695Dreammaster695 Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stick it in him then
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stick it in him then

????? lolwut
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's a better person than he is a performer.
  • Pimlico_PassPimlico_Pass Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP i wouldnt worry about it.

I quite often swear at the telly when kyes on and utter unrepeatable expletives at the judges comments.

Luckily i cant get banned - my cat doesn`t have that power yet!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's a better person than he is a performer.

That's really interesting... what makes you say that?

I can't profess to have seen much of him as a person to make the same judgement. What I *have* seen of him aside from his performances, I haven't liked at all.
  • BlueStreakBlueStreak Posts: 11,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's lovely to hear that you now have had second thoughts on what you originally posted, which was a tad harsh in my opinion.

No, Rylan doesn't have the best singing voice in the world, but he's fun, entertaining and I'd rather watch him that Kye standing there thinking he's the bees knees, or Christopher who may well have a better voice than Rylan but Christopher bores me to tears.

Rylan is as camp as a row of pink tents and because of that I love him. Why it would make anyone consider that all gay guys act in that manner is beyond me. Folk act how they chose too and whatever anyone thinks about Rylans way of 'acting' or simply being himself is neither here nor there. Rylan it would appear is a lovely fella on the inside and at the end of the day that sums it up in my book. If you are a nice person that's all that matters.

I for one, really think that was lovely of you to re-post what you have.

I have enjoyed watching Rylan, at least he's cheered me up rather than listen to the rest of them doing the same old, same old.

:)
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww, this is rather sweet of you to admit that you've changed your opinion, not many people would do so.

I think if you watched some of Rylan's interviews and listened to his commentary on Soccer AM, that would endear you to his personality more. Everybody always comments on what a lovely guy he is and how he's lots of fun. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Awww, I'm glad you changed your opinion on Rylan, OP. He seems like a lovely, funny guy :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stick it in him then
    oxfordruse wrote: »
    ????? lolwut

In fact, why did I even entertain your (yes, apparently *actual* "homophobic") reply?

From your post history, all you ever seem to do is troll X Factor threads.

I await a valid point from you. And won't hold my breath.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Compare his performance to MK1 or Kye, he was much more entertaining.
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oxfordruse wrote: »
    Last week, I posted a controversial thread about Rylan, titled "As a gay man, Rylan Clark makes me homophobic"...

I've was kind of thinking about this.
    I know that many gay people feel that excessive campery perpetuates negative stereotypes or gives a false impression of everyone, so I think I get where your original rant came from (correct me if I'm wrong). Anything 'put on' gets annoying.

But I feel that people only have a go at camp gay men because society has evolved to value a strict(er)definition of masculinity and anything which deviates is implicitly seen as inferior (and that worry becomes the source of angst in the first place).

That said I don't think Rylan really cuts it as a singer/performer, as far as novelty acts go he's better than Wagner but not as good as Jedward (current version).

I hope this makes at least a little bit of sense.
    You're ok OP, sorry ffor getting all rant-y in your thread. :o