Options

Laptop Not Showing as charging.

Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My laptop has recently stopped recognising it is charging, even though it is.

Being a HP it has a Indicator light next to the charger port which should light up but it isn't, and windows does not recognise it as charging, although the Indicator light on the front of it still working correctly and the laptop does charge.

Changing the Battery for another one doesn't affect it, it does the same with another battery.

Will this cause any further damage if I continue to use it?

Also, what do you think it could be? Faulty Charger? Knackered PSU?

(HP G61, running Windows 8.1)

Comments

• Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the laptop works with the charger connected but with battery removed, the charger is probably OK.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. You are unlikely to 'cause' more damage, but obviously some components have failed. You could check that none of the top panel is getting excessively hot with your fingers perhaps. Should just get warm.

Impossible to say when further natural failures will occur.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a small piece of free software called Battery Bar. Install this and it will show things like the charging rate. More importantly, it will show the percentage of Battery Wear (the part of the battery which can no longer be charged).

http://download.cnet.com/BatteryBar/3000-2094_4-10866804.html
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly the dc jack is on its way out, it doesn't seem like too hard a job compared to some see http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01868653.pdf page 4-35 and should be doable by anyone in an hour tops and normally the jacks are only 5-10 quid off fleabay
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I'm looking right now at the HP G61 Maintenance and Service Guide, External Component Identification, Lights, (page 14). It shows 3 front panel lights left of the touchpad. From L to R these are Power Light, and its display indicators are: On = Power On, Blinking = Sleep, Off = Power is off or the laptop is hibernating.

Then there's the Battery Light and its indicators are: On = Battery Charging, Blinking = a Battery that is the only power source has reached a low power level, Off = if the laptop is running on mains power, the light is turned off if the battery is fully charged, and if running on battery power the light stays off until the battery has reached the low power level.

Then there's the Drive Light and its indicator: Blinking = the hard drive or optical drive is being accessed.

Now you don't say in the OP whether you are running the laptop through the mains or on the battery and also the manual doesn't agree with you as to what the lights are for.

So in your OP when you say the indicator light is on, I guess you mean the middle battery indicator light is on, which indicates the battery is charging, so where is this charger light that you say is next to the battery light? I searched Google for pics of the G61 to see if different models had more than 3 front panel lights, but none of them do.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    So in your OP when you say the indicator light is on, I guess you mean the middle battery indicator light is on, which indicates the battery is charging, so where is this charger light that you say is next to the battery light? I searched Google for pics of the G61 to see if different models had more than 3 front panel lights, but none of them do.
    There is a LED next to the charger socket on the side panel that should be on when the mains adapter is plugged in. If it is anything like my HP laptop (different model) it is on all the time the mains adapter is plugged in and powered regardless of whether the laptop is switched on or off or the battery is charging or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    There is a LED next to the charger socket on the side panel that should be on when the mains adapter is plugged in. If it is anything like my HP laptop (different model) it is on all the time the mains adapter is plugged in and powered regardless of whether the laptop is switched on or off or the battery is charging or not.

Hi Chris, I didn't think of looking at the side, (my laptop doesn't have side lights) but OK the manual shows a right side AC adapter light which is next to the AC power connector. When the light is on, it's connected and when it's off it isn't. So the OP is saying the laptop is connected to the mains but the light isn't coming on.

Also the battery charging light is lit on the front panel. So does it always stays lit even when the battery is fully charged, or does the battery never reach full charge?

The OP says that Windows doesn't recognise the battery is charging. Well the battery icon in the notification area on my W7 laptop doesn't visibly look any different when it's charging apart from the level, and if I hover the mouse over the icon it tells me the % of charge, and, if the battery isn't fully charged, that it is plugged in and charging.

So what % level is the icon showing on hover, and does this level change?

It's just that I'm wondering whether the only fault is that the side power light has failed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the side AC Adapter LED is off because the charger is dead then I can't really see how the Battery Charging LED could come on. If the charging LED is coming on then that does seem to indicate it's getting a DC voltage on the charger socket. Whether it's the right DC Voltage or not is another matter.

Also if the G61 is anything like mine it uses a 3 pin plug for the AC adapter. Looks like a conventional cylindrical DC jack but has a thin central pin in the plug as a third contact. As I understand it this is used for some sort of signalling between laptop and charger. Not sure what would happen if this pin get broken.

If the laptop works on the adapter with the battery removed then the adapter is supplying DC to the laptop. If the OP has a multi meter and is careful with the probes it should be possible to measure this DC voltage on the adapter plug. There should be a label on the adapter showing what this should be.

Though not a definitive test, if the voltage matches the label then it's possible the adapter is OK. But it is possible that the DC voltage is OK off load but drops considerably when put on load. Though measuring the voltage when the adapter is plugged into the laptop may not be that easy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chris, reading your post has reminded me. We don't know whether the Power light on the front panel next to the battery charging light is on or off. What I mean is, if the laptop is running on the battery and not the mains then the Power light would be off and if it's running on mains it would be on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris, reading your post has reminded me. We don't know whether the Power light on the front panel next to the battery charging light is on or off. What I mean is, if the laptop is running on the battery and not the mains then the Power light would be off and if it's running on mains it would be on.

If the G61 is anything like my G6 then the power LED on the front panel (side panel in the case of the G6) should be independent of power source. So the Power LED should come on whenever the laptop is turned on whether it is on battery or mains.

It's the LED next to the DC in jack that shows when it's on mains power.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Chris, I didn't think of looking at the side, (my laptop doesn't have side lights) but OK the manual shows a right side AC adapter light which is next to the AC power connector. When the light is on, it's connected and when it's off it isn't. So the OP is saying the laptop is connected to the mains but the light isn't coming on.

Also the battery charging light is lit on the front panel. So does it always stays lit even when the battery is fully charged, or does the battery never reach full charge?

The OP says that Windows doesn't recognise the battery is charging. Well the battery icon in the notification area on my W7 laptop doesn't visibly look any different when it's charging apart from the level, and if I hover the mouse over the icon it tells me the % of charge, and, if the battery isn't fully charged, that it is plugged in and charging.

So what % level is the icon showing on hover, and does this level change?

It's just that I'm wondering whether the only fault is that the side power light has failed.
    No, once the battery has charged that goes out, so that is working normally.

What I mean about the Power Icon is that when you have it plugged in it should show a socket symbol as well, but it doesn't. Even though the laptop is charging.

I think I have just found what the problem was, I just plugged the charger in to the socket and turned the plug on, the converter box popped and smells a bit of burning.
    Thankfully I didn't have it plugged in to the computer at that point.

Looks like it was the charger that had failed and was causing this. Thanks for the help guys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking right now at the HP G61 Maintenance and Service Guide, External Component Identification, Lights, (page 14). It shows 3 front panel lights left of the touchpad. From L to R these are Power Light, and its display indicators are: On = Power On, Blinking = Sleep, Off = Power is off or the laptop is hibernating.

Then there's the Battery Light and its indicators are: On = Battery Charging, Blinking = a Battery that is the only power source has reached a low power level, Off = if the laptop is running on mains power, the light is turned off if the battery is fully charged, and if running on battery power the light stays off until the battery has reached the low power level.

Then there's the Drive Light and its indicator: Blinking = the hard drive or optical drive is being accessed.

Now you don't say in the OP whether you are running the laptop through the mains or on the battery and also the manual doesn't agree with you as to what the lights are for.

This second LED is situated right next to the charger port itself, it is on whenever there is a power source plugged in, unlike the front power indicator.
    The three front indicator lights are exactly how you say.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the charging circuitry on any portable pc responds to the rate of charge compared with applied terminal voltage. so if the battery is actually charging, that must still be working. im not familiar with HPs as such but general principle is exactly the same and it sounds like just an indicator light has failed.

as for the mains charger thats a switch mode power supply. either it works properly or not at all ........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Charger came today and everything is working again. Thanks for the help guys.