Will One direction crack America?

Comments

• twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benami311 wrote: »
    They're not gonna crack Top 40 stations unless they recruit a rent-a-rapper. Maybe the guy from Rebecca Black's song is looking for work?

They're relegated to Radio Disney at this point...if anything.

And yes, I do think performances matter. When they go on the Late Night Circuit, X-Factor/AI/SYTYCD, Ellen, or other shows and hop up and down like imbeciles, the reaction will be less "OMG!" and more "WTF?"

Last week they were on the late late show in Ireland and Chatty man here. Both shows gave them a great reception both for their (very funny) interviews and performances but of course I am a fan and wear rose tinted glasses so what do i know :rolleyes:
  • SAFIAHSAFIAH Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No as the USA appreciate talent!!

I think 1D are over rated and their popularity in the UK is based on teens fancying them rather then for the quality of their music or vocals!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there's a higher standard in the USA either, but you have to put a product together that's relevant. The right sound + the right look, and IMO 1D has neither.

I think they're as good looking as the Disney Channel type boys that they would presumably be competing with in the teen-heartthrob stakes. As for the right sound, I really don't know. I'm not sure that their sound is that US-radio friendly but then Justin Bieber doesn't get played that much on US radio and he's still been successful.

I don't agree that you have to be more talented to succeed in the US, plenty of acts with not that much talent have sold huge amounts there - the Spice Girls, for instance.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    as they are flopping in europe with good promo already, why would they crack the US, which is alot harder than Europe, cuz we follow the UK most of the time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as they are flopping in europe with good promo already, why would they crack the US, which is alot harder than Europe, cuz we follow the UK most of the time

Are they flopping? Not from what I know and I see from your name you are from Holland and I have family and friends there and all say they are very popular. They performed in Germany last night and again to a good reception. They are also number one in Australia.
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, They'd struggle to crack an egg let alone America
  • proclaimerxproclaimerx Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    reakon they will be doing loads of crack in america:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SAFIAH wrote: »
    No as the USA appreciate talent!!

I think 1D are over rated and their popularity in the UK is based on teens fancying them rather then for the quality of their music or vocals!!

I have to laugh at this assumption (which for some bizarre reason people here keep making). We took to the Spice Girls like gangbusters. There are a ton of pop acts that don't have killer vocals that are big successes (Britney, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Justin Bieber).

Look, the boys are insanely MARKETABLE. Still no guarantee but that doesn't preclude them from potentially making it here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snuffles22 wrote: »
    I have to laugh at this assumption (which for some bizarre reason people here keep making). We took to the Spice Girls like gangbusters. There are a ton of pop acts that don't have killer vocals that are big successes (Britney, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Justin Bieber).

Look, the boys are insanely MARKETABLE. Still no guarantee but that doesn't preclude them from potentially making it here.

Hmmm interesting word you give there. MARKETABLE. Pretty much sums up my feelings about 1D. A commodity for making money as quickly as possible before the attention of an average nine year old wanders on to the next big thing. I'd hate any artist I follow be labelled as Marketable:eek:
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen this. Don't they have to crack Britain first. I actually think they are a bit bland
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as they are flopping in europe with good promo already

got weed?
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Germany yesterday.:D:cool:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmovs2_one-direction-performing-the-dome-60_music
  • DreamingDanDreamingDan Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Germany yesterday - nothing released yet.
  • Bob EvansBob Evans Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think simon hopes they will have success like justin bieber and be the next "big thing".

thoughts?

I doubt it. THeyy are not very good and I just do not see the US having any interest in themat all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think simon hopes they will have success like justin bieber and be the next "big thing".

thoughts?

I doubt it. THeyy are not very good and I just do not see the US having any interest in themat all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Just seen this. Don't they have to crack Britain first. I actually think they are a bit bland

They are not doing well in the UK when you consder they are riding on the back of the X factor hype and publicity. I give them at most 18 months in the UK before they disappear to do gigs in back street pubs and clubs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob Evans wrote: »
    They are not doing well in the UK when you consder they are riding on the back of the X factor hype and publicity. I give them at most 18 months in the UK before they disappear to do gigs in back street pubs and clubs

How on earth do you come to that conclusion? 2 top 5 selling singles and a 2nd placed album (behind Rihanna) with sales that established artists would have loved to have had. But why spoil your post with facts :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »
    I think they're as good looking as the Disney Channel type boys that they would presumably be competing with in the teen-heartthrob stakes. As for the right sound, I really don't know. I'm not sure that their sound is that US-radio friendly but then Justin Bieber doesn't get played that much on US radio and he's still been successful.

I don't agree that you have to be more talented to succeed in the US, plenty of acts with not that much talent have sold huge amounts there - the Spice Girls, for instance.

"Baby" was played to death on the radio.

Having heard 1D's lead singles and comparing them to what's on the Hot 100 now...I don't see it. It's not the kind of music that is currently popular with the younger demographic. It has no bite, no edge. Even Justin Bieber's stuff is riskier than 1D. Pure fluff music
  • plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member

thoughts?

Give if it a miss they are useless. JLS are good as an example but have they cracked America? I think not.
  • plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    "Baby" was played to death on the radio.

Having heard 1D's lead singles and comparing them to what's on the Hot 100 now...I don't see it. It's not the kind of music that is currently popular with the younger demographic. It has no bite, no edge. Even Justin Bieber's stuff is riskier than 1D. Pure fluff music

I don't know about "fluff" but when it comes to singing I doubt that 1D can muster up any genuine "puff".
  • DreamingDanDreamingDan Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    How on earth do you come to that conclusion? 2 top 5 selling singles and a 2nd placed album (behind Rihanna) with sales that established artists would have loved to have had. But why spoil your post with facts :rolleyes:

He said on the back of the X-factor but why spoil your post with facts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justin Bieber has only had one genuine radio hit. That's "Baby". "Never Say Never" did moderately well and so did his duet with Usher on "Somebody To Love". But every other song he's released has made no headway on US radio.

Bieber is primarily an online phenomenon. His videos are streamed like crazy on YouTube and he has a massive online following. That's been enough to fuel record, merchandise and touring sales.

It will be interesting to see how they proceed with 1D. They're signed to a label that is affiliated with Glee and Nickelodeon. They're already cross promoting with Nickelodeon's "Big Time Rush". I wouldn't be surprised if someone on Glee sings their song. Or they do a cameo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He said on the back of the X-factor but why spoil your post with facts.

Yes I noted on the back of the X factor and what more did he expect! Their number one was the fastest single of the year their album came in behind Rihanna who is at the top of her game. I can't see how much better they could have done in this climate! After all they did come in third place behind Matt and Rebecca :D

I guess if you don't like them or they not your cup of tea then you will always be negative about them. When I feel like that about an act I prefer not to comment , it saves energy :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Germany yesterday - nothing released yet.

What are you on about??:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give if it a miss they are useless. JLS are good as an example but have they cracked America? I think not.

Totally different music and style. 1D are not going to America as an RnB group.