Exodus of O2 (BE) Subscribers over sale to Sky

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
40,700 subscribers to O2 (BE) have left in the first quarter of 2013 since Sky announced that they had bought the ISP.The sting in the tale is that an extra £20 million would only be payable to Telefonica dependent upon the successful delivery and completion of the customer migration process. This is looking increasingly unlikely as customers leave in droves.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/05/sky-sale-triggers-exodus-of-o2-uk-home-broadband-subscribers.html

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    well we don't know what the terms are. what numbers are required for the payment. or indeed if the 'successful migration' payment is related to numbers at all but rather the technical aspects of the migration.

but if you look at the numbers:
    December 2010 – 671,600 (largest peak)
    March 2011 – 669,200
    June 2011 – 652,900
    September 2011 – 625,300
    December 2011 – 620,300 (-5,000)
    March 2012 – 617,800 (-2,500)
    June 2012 – 602,000 (-15,800)
    September 2012 – 579,500 (-22,500)
    December 2012 – 560,100 (-19,400)
    March 2013 – 519,400 (-40,700)

there are a few things going on. there has been a steady decline. this is natural as more people are consolidating their broadband around their TV service, so half that would have happened anyway. there is also a natural churn people come people go. this is not shown in the numbers. it is likely that this is continuing people are leaving as would be expected, but that new people are not signing up as it is well known that they will be moving to sky.

i think this is some way apart from people leaving 'in droves' - and for sky it's not a massive problem. sky are not interested in the ISP business, it makes no money, they are interested in selling people tv. and they will get half a million customers that they can try and up-sell to. which is the best way of them expanding their business.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    O2 & Be have been bleeding customers before this. Sure some will have left due to the takeover. However the biggest factor was the network performance of O2 (and Be) it was having issues and then there was the lack of Fibre.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it with Sky that some people have a problem with? If they're a good and reliable service, why migrate just because Sky's decided to buy O2 out?
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    What is it with Sky that some people have a problem with? If they're a good and reliable service, why migrate just because Sky's decided to buy O2 out?

murdoch.

but yes. like i say i don't see any evidence that people have been leaving based on sky.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    murdoch.

but yes. like i say i don't see any evidence that people have been leaving based on sky.

The number of people leaving has doubled in 3 months since it the deal was announced. That is a clear sign!
    Forum Member
    The number of people leaving has doubled in 3 months since it the deal was announced. That is a clear sign!

No it's not. You are reaching a conclusion that is not supported by the data at all.

you have no reason for the numbers. you can not pull a reason out of the air and decide that is definitely it.

the trend for the number of people leaving in a quarter is definitely rising. what would it have been without the sky takeover? i don't know, i wouldn't claim to. could it be the number of exchanges that are now FTTC enabled has grown and people are leaving for that?

the figures given by the article do not show the number of people that leave and sign up in any given month. you do not know how much of that number is an increase in people leaving and how much is fewer new people signing up. only the net figure is shown. it may be that in any given quarter you would expect 100,000 customers to leave but expect to acquire new customers to replace them. it could be that.

you are presenting things as fact that are only guess work. and worse you're seeing what you want to see.
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All companies suffer from churn. So theres nothing unusual with the above.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it's not. You are reaching a conclusion that is not supported by the data at all.

you have no reason for the numbers. you can not pull a reason out of the air and decide that is definitely it.

the trend for the number of people leaving in a quarter is definitely rising. what would it have been without the sky takeover? i don't know, i wouldn't claim to. could it be the number of exchanges that are now FTTC enabled has grown and people are leaving for that?

the figures given by the article do not show the number of people that leave and sign up in any given month. you do not know how much of that number is an increase in people leaving and how much is fewer new people signing up. only the net figure is shown. it may be that in any given quarter you would expect 100,000 customers to leave but expect to acquire new customers to replace them. it could be that.

you are presenting things as fact that are only guess work. and worse you're seeing what you want to see.

Horatio Nelson would be proud of you. I see no fall in subscribers :D
    Forum Member
    Horatio Nelson would be proud of you. I see no fall in subscribers :D

I did not say that. There is clearly a fall in subscribers.

Are you capable of responding to the points I've made?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left O2 Broadband when the sale was announced. TBH I was considering getting fibre anyway (which would have meant a move from O2 regardless), but this gave me the impetus to speed up the decision. Was getting good reliable service from O2 at a reasonable price over the years.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I left O2 Broadband when the sale was announced. TBH I was considering getting fibre anyway (which would have meant a move from O2 regardless), but this gave me the impetus to speed up the decision. Was getting good reliable service from O2 at a reasonable price over the years.

But Sky has a fibre broadband service.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you have no reason for the numbers. you can not pull a reason out of the air and decide that is definitely it....

...you are presenting things as fact that are only guess work. and worse you're seeing what you want to see.

This thread was brought to us by the word apophenia

Learn something new everyday :D
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Sky has a fibre broadband service.

I know. But I saw no point in waiting.
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member

Well I'll be on the list of May leavers from O2, although in my case I'm jumping over to Sky early as they're giving me a year free, plus their line rental is cheaper than BT.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Murdoch.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    Murdoch.

Yep, i know 2 people who was with O2 and one with Be, not here in Hereford, but elsewhere. as soon as they heard sky was taking over, they made arrangements to go elsewhere. even after i told them that sky broadband is pretty good, they said no way are they paying Murdoch any money
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky is a good provider that provides good services.

But there is no doubt that for some people there is a 'Murdoch' factor attached to it.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully sky honor my £12 a month and I'll likely stay
  • alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to leave O2 Broadband when the sale was announced but was talked into taking Free broadband for 12 months to stay :D I wonder how many are getting there service free :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently left Be for BT. Had been a customer for years and never bothered changing providers but had always thought of getting fibre. The sale was just the push that I needed. I considered Sky and BT since I had TV with one and phone with the other but ended up with BT due to the vouchers and also I read that Sky makes it difficult to use your own router (apparantly not many routers has a certain capability or something).
  • iiyama17iiyama17 Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    murdoch.

Well I did. So there's your evidence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did not say that. There is clearly a fall in subscribers.

Are you capable of responding to the points I've made?

Well you can just ignore the fact that not only have people on this forum and this thread said they have left because Sky is taking over.

Examples:

Psionic, mktrix and iiyama17 (left cos of Sky announcement) the fact that noise747 knows 2 people who left because of Sky, plus alan.w who tried to leave but was talked into staying.

This has definitely accelerated the numbers leaving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you can just ignore the fact that not only have people on this forum and this thread said they have left because Sky is taking over.

Examples:

Psionic, mktrix and iiyama17 (left cos of Sky announcement) the fact that noise747 knows 2 people who left because of Sky, plus alan.w who tried to leave but was talked into staying.

I have no doubt its given some users a nudge. But you have to admit, post #1 was something of a leap (and the title of this thread too). Sorry for saying.
    Forum Member

Examples:

i have no doubt that some people have left because of sky taking over. But that is not what you said at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have no doubt that some people have left because of sky taking over. But that is not what you said at all.

Ahh so you finally admit some people have left because Sky have taken over.