Options

Dancing With The Stars: A Quick(ish) Season

I know I'm as bad at finishing forum games as Jade Johnson is as bad at finishing a proper series, but I'm going to take extra special care to finish (or, indeed, start this one) and so have ditched most of the wordy gubbins I usually try for a relatively quick season.

I'll be posting Pro/ Celeb info shortly but here's this years dance schedule to be getting on with (be warned, there's guest judges a-plenty!)

Tuesday, September 23rd: WEEK 1 Premiere Night Foxtrot OR Cha-Cha-Cha OR Contemporary (12)
Tuesday, September 30th: WEEK 2 Latin Night Any Unlearned Latin Dance (with guest judge Gloria Estefan) (12)
Tuesday, October 7th: WEEK 3 Teen Idols Night Any Unlearned Dance (with guest judge Donny Osmond) (11)
Tuesday, October 14th: WEEK 4 Most Memorable Year Any Unlearned Dance (with guest judge Paula Abdul) (10)
Tuesday, October 21st: WEEK 5 Las Vegas Night Any Unlearned Dance, plus Team vs. Team. vs. Team “Vegas Freestyle” (with guest judge Shania Twain) (9)
Tuesday, October 28th: WEEK 6 Broadway Night Any Unlearned Dance (including Broadway) (with guest judge Matthew Morrison) (8)
Tuesday, November 4th: WEEK 7 Rivals Pick Any Unlearned Dance (both dance and music are chosen by a rival team), followed by a head-to-head dance duel (in a non-standard discipline) with the winner receiving a ten point bonus to their overall score (with guest judge Maksim Chmerekovskiy) (7)
Tuesday, November 11th: WEEK 8 Michael Jackson Night Any Unlearned Dance, plus Cha-Cha-Cha Relay (with guest judge Travis Payne) (6)
Tuesday, November 18th: WEEK 9 SEMI FINALS Artistic & Technical Challenge One Unlearned Dance that conveys a judge provided story, One Unlearned Dance incorporating a judge provided “technical challenge” (with guest judge Meryl Davis) (5)
Tuesday, November 15th: WEEK 10 FINAL PART 1 Favourite Routine & Freestyle (4)
Wednesday, November 16th: WEEK 11 FINAL PART 2 Dance Fusion (3) WINNER CROWNED

Comments

• Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    Dances being performed this season

Ballroom

Waltz, Foxtrot, Quickstep, Tango, Viennese Waltz

Latin

Jive, Samba, Cha-Cha-Cha, Salsa, Paso Doble, Rumba, Argentine Tango

Other

Jazz, Broadway, Contemporary, Hip-Hop
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Professional Line-Up

The final professional line-up of Dancing With The Stars 19th season has been unveiled, with long-time pro Maksim Chmerekovskiy waving bye-bye to the hit show. He's joined by Henry Byalikov and Sharna Burgess in the great pro-dancer studio in the sky, with three new professionals quickstepping their way into the show. The male line-up, as always, is lead by Derek Hough, who will be hoping to win his 62nd Glitterball trophy this year. Fellow veterans Tony Dovolani, Mark Ballas and Val Chmerekovskiy are also back in hot pursuit for the trophy, whilst new boys Artem Chigvintsev (fresh from the UK's Strictly Come Dancing) and SYTYCD alum Serge Onik complete the line-up. On the female side, Cheryl Burke and Karina Smirnoff retain their spots as professional stalwarts on the show, with newer recruits Emma Slater, Peta Murgatroyd and Whitney Carson all returning. The final new pro is Jenna Johnson, an ex-SYTYCD star who will be the youngest professional in this year's line-up. Their celebrity partners will be revealed in due course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Celebrity Hints

Let's learn a little bit more about the twelve famous faces gearing up to Foxtrot and Flamenco (editors note- they won't actually be Flamencoing) for your vote this Fall.

Celebrity 1: This reality TV star has spent the year looking for love on ABC's hottest reality show, but will she find her leading man on the dancefloor?

Celebrity 2: A teen idol with over 6 million Twitter followers, but will that translate to votes? He'll certainly be hoping so!

Celebrity 3: She's a Disney Channel star, actress and singer, but can she add "dancer" to her impressive resume?

Celebrity 4: This mindbending TV star will be hoping to conjure up a winning performance when he makes his dancefloor debut.

Celebrity 5: Their a former child star who made a long awaited TV comeback earlier this year. Can the nostalgia kick carry her all the way to the Mirrorball?

Celebrity 6: He's a TV hottie from across the pond who found fame in one of ABC's sexiest new shows, but will he look as good on the dance floor?

Celebrity 7: He's one of our two Olympians this season, and will no doubt want to emulate a close personal friend who put in a gold medal winning performance on DWTS several seasons ago.

Celebrity 8: This sporting legend might not be in the first flush of youth, but when you've got a career as impressive as his, who cares?

Celebrity 9: This legendary TV star will boldly go where no-one else from their hit show has gone before... the dance floor!

Celebrity 10: It's no secret NFL stars are some of the most successful athletes ever to hit the floor, can this recently retired linebacker maintain the trend?

Celebrity 11: She's an Olympian and new mom who's inspiring story of courage and triumph over adversity touched America's hearts, but is her dancing of gold medal standard?

Celebrity 12: She's an actress and spokesperson who's no stranger to glamour, but will her dancing dreams come true this Fall?
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to this (if you do indeed finish it... not that I've got the best track record when it comes to, well, anything)
  • Options
    Forum Member

There was an error rendering this BBCode post

• Options
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to this (if you do indeed finish it... not that I've got the best track record when it comes to, well, anything)

I'm aiming to keep it quite brief so it's easier to write up... although the launch show is a bit lengthy!
  • Options
    Forum Member

There was an error rendering this BBCode post

• Options
    Forum Member
    Celebrity Number 7

Name: Josh Bowman Age: 28
    Famous For?: Actor Josh Bowman was born and raised in Maidenhead, England where he showed promise as a Rugby player, before deciding to decamp to Hollywood in 2010. He's best known to American audiences for his role as the scheming Daniel Grayson in the smash hit ABC drama Revenge, a role that he's held since 2011.
    Why DWTS? "Dancing is not something I've ever thought of trying before, but I've got a kind of morbid curiosity to see how bad I am"
    Why really? Nice bit of in-house promotion for Revenge, and it's a real profile booster for Josh, which may come in handy when the axe inevitably falls.
    Professional Partner: Peta Murgatroyd

Celebrity Number 8

Name: Shannon Miller Age: 37
    Famous For? An Olympic gold medal winning artistic gymnast, Shannon Miller truly is an icon in American sport. Shannon won 6 medals at just fifteen when she made her Olympic début in Barcelona, and since then has gone on to win a further two more Olympic Golds (in Atlanta) and an impressive 9 World Championship medals. Since retiring, Shannon has battled Ovarian cancer but recently gave birth to her second child.
    Why DWTS? "I want to show America that there is life after cancer. Dancing was one of my great loves as a child but it came down to gymnastics or dancing and I had to choose gymnastics. I can't wait to get back into it"
    Why really? Pretty genuine reasons, actually. She's certainly one of America's best known gymnasts, but a little more exposure never hurts.
    Professional Partner: Derek Hough

Celebrity Number 9:

Name: Ray Lewis Age 39
    Famous For? Make no mistake about it... Ray Lewis is one the most successful NFL linebackers ever to put on a helmet. Having spent the entirety of his career with the Baltimore Ravens, Ray knows a thing or two about success, and with the fantastic track record NFL players on DWTS have, Ray looks to be one of the hot favourites going into the competition.
    Why DWTS? "You guys kept on ringing me every season, but I could never take part because I was playing. Since retiring, you called again and I knew now was the time".
    Why really? Being an NFL legend is one thing, getting cast in a Hollywood movie off the back of their time on DWTS (Victor Ortiz) is quite another.
    Professional Partner: Cheryl Burke
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Celebrity Number 10:

Name: Andi Dorfman Age: 27
    Famous For? After walking away from The Bachelor in Spring 2014, Andi returned as the Bachelorette in Summer 2014 determined to find her man. The former Attorney won America's hearts thanks to her down-home, fun loving personality and, in July 2014, got her fairytale ending when her choice as winner, Josh Murray, proposed to her.
    Why DWTS? "You know, I've always loved dancing but it's kinda more clubby/ hip-hop stuff that everyone does in a darkened room. I want my man to turn me into a princess!"
    Why really? Reality TV stars have short shelf lives, Bachelor stars even more so. This is a great way of maximising her tenure in the spotlight.
    Professional Partner: Val Chmerekovskiy

Celebrity Number 11

Name: Austin Mahone Age: 18
    Famous For? An MTV Music Award winning singer songwriter who got his big break thanks to YouTube, Austin Mahone is one of the busiest guys in pop, having recently released a new album and performed on a sell out tour. Often labelled "the American Justin Bieber", Austin has amassed a huge army of teenage fans and currently has over 6 million Twitter followers.
    Why DWTS? "I love the show and watch it whenever I can"
    Why really? Sales of Mahone's last album were very disappointing for his label, and this is one of the more dignified ways of galvanzing his fanbase into buying it.
    Professional Partner: Jenna Johnson

Celebrity Number 12

Name: Nichelle Nichols Age: 81
    Famous For? As Lieutenant Ahura in iconic TV series Star Trek, Nichelle Nichols broke new ground as one of the first black women to appear on American TV not to be portrayed as a servant. After starting her career as a singer (where she worked with the likes of Duke Ellington), she switched to TV and became a close personal friend of Martin Luther King. Beloved by the country for her award winning acting career, Nichelle now works as a writer and voice over artist. She is perhaps the only DWTS contestant ever to have an asteroid named after her.
    Why DWTS? "I've tried singing and acting but dreamt of being a dancer, I want to prove to America it's never to late to follow your dreams!"
    Why really? Why not? She's had a long and varied career and this is a fun little sideline to her main career.
    Professional Partner: Serge Onik.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phew....

That cast in full-

Andi Dorfman, 27, The Bachelorette Star
    Austin Mahone, 18, Singer-Songwriter
    China Anne McClain, 16, Disney Channel Actress & Singer
    Criss Angel, 46, Magician & Illusionist
    Danielle Fishel, 33, Actress & Author
    Josh Bowman, 28, Actor (Star of ABC’s Revenge)
    J.R. Celski, 24, Olympic Speedskater
    Lee Trevino, 74, Professional Golfer
    Ray Lewis, 39, NFL Linebacker
    Nichelle Nichols, 81, Legendary Actress
    Shannon Miller, 37, Olympic Gymnast
    Valerie Bertinelli, 54, Actress & Spokesperson

And with their partners...

Andi Dorfman & Valentin Chmerekovskiy
    Austin Mahone & Jenna Johnson
    China Anne McClain & Artem Chigvintsev
    Criss Angel & Karina Smirnoff
    Danielle Fishel & Mark Ballas
    Josh Bowman & Peta Murgatroyd
    J.R. Celski & Witney Carson
    Lee Trevino & Emma Slater
    Nichelle Nichols & Serge Onik
    Ray Lewis & Cheryl Burke
    Shannon Miller & Derek Hough
    Valerie Bertinelli & Tony Dovolani

So, any thoughts? Any favourites or favourites for first out? I'll be posting the dance-list and artist names soon(ish)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Artists Being Danced to in Week 1's Premier Night Episode

5 Seconds of Summer
    Adele
    boyChild
    Coldplay
    Eli "Paperboy" Reed
    Gladys Knight & The Pips
    John Mayer
    Michael Buble
    Rita Ora
    Taylor Swift
    Tony Bennett
    Zedd feat. Foxes
  • Options
    I've Got ClassI've Got Class Posts: 12,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A really strong line-up, 21CB! I like the sound of Josh + Peta, Shannon + Derek and Ray + Cheryl. :)

I launched a Strictly series the other day (like you, I am notoriously bad at finishing them) and I'll be posting the first show tomorrow probably. So if you could take a look at that if and when you get time I'd be grateful! Will there be a public involvement in this or will you be deciding upon eliminations etc.?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A really strong line-up, 21CB! I like the sound of Josh + Peta, Shannon + Derek and Ray + Cheryl. :)

I launched a Strictly series the other day (like you, I am notoriously bad at finishing them) and I'll be posting the first show tomorrow probably. So if you could take a look at that if and when you get time I'd be grateful! Will there be a public involvement in this or will you be deciding upon eliminations etc.?

Thanks ICG, there's one or two evil ringers (and Derek was never going to end up with Nichelle, was he?!)

I'll definitely take a look at yours- lets make a pact to both finish these games!

Erm, I'm thinking for the first half of the season about using Random.org to generate a "public vote" and then letting you guys vote from the Quarter Finals onwards- just because I don't know how much I'll be around to collect votes :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Live show will be up soon.

The dance allocations are as follows:

Foxtrot

Valerie Bertinelli & Tony Dovolani
    Josh Bowman & Peta Murgatroyd
    Lee Trevino & Emma Slater
    Andi Dorfman & Val Chmerekovskiy

Contemporary

J.R. Celski & Witney Carson
    Danielle Fishel & Mark Ballas
    Criss Angel & Karina Smirnoff
    Shannon Miller & Derek Hough

Cha-Cha-Cha

Austin Mahone & Jenna Johnson
    Nichelle Nichols & Serge Onik
    China Anne McClain & Artem Chigvintsev
    Ray Lewis & Cheryl Burke
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tuesday, September 23rd: WEEK 1 Premiere Night

Couple No. 1 China Anne McClain & Artem Chigvintsev
    Dance- Cha-Cha-Cha
    Music- I Will Never Let You Down (Rita Ora)
    Training Highlights- China horrifies Artem when she reveals she though the CCC was a "slow dance". Artem wants the routine to have a fun focus but says as he won his first season in the UK, he intends to do the same here! No pressure China...
    Judges Summary- Carrie-Ann calls it a CCC to remember, Bruno enjoyed her "lightness of foot" and says she has a real swing in her hips. Len welcomes them both to DWTS, and says that although it wasn't the best first dance he's ever seen- "it was still pretty bloomin' good!"
    SCORES:
    Carrie-Ann Inaba- 8
    Len Goodman- 7
    Bruno Tonioli- 8
    TOTAL: 23/30
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Couple No. 2 Josh Bowman & Peta Murgatroyd
    Dance- Foxtrot
    Music- Waiting On The World To Change (John Mayer)
    Training Highlights- Peta says she's a huge fan of Revenge and confesses to having a "tiny" crush on Josh's character. Training for the Foxtrot goes well, but Josh jokes that it reminds him of his grandparents who attend foxtrots back in England. Peta tells him to think of their version as a "Foxtrot gone wild".
    Judges Summary- Len likes their attempt although says it was a bit "careful" on Josh's part given that it was a Foxtrot "gone wild". Bruno agrees but still finds the time to call Josh "Prince Charming", whilst Carrie-Ann enjoyed the slightly off-kilter choreo, provided by Peta (who'd incorporated a lengthy solo into the routine).
    SCORES:
    Carrie-Ann Inaba- 7
    Len Goodman- 7
    Bruno Tonioli- 7
    TOTAL: 21/30
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Couple No. 3 J.R. Celski & Witney Carson
    Dance- Contemporary
    Music- Clarity (Zedd feat. Foxes)
    Training Highlights- Witney is thrilled to have J.R. as a partner and they appear to be getting along incredibly well. A large portion of the training segment is devoted to their laughing, but J.R insists he's taking the competition seriously- "I'm coming for your mirrorball, Apolo!"
    Judges Summary: Bruno says the show has got off to a "flying" start and praises the "fluidity of movement" that exists between J.R and Witney. Len enthusiastically says that it was a statement of intent to the rest of the Contemporary dancers that night- "beat that!" he trills. Carrie-Ann rounds up the judges comments by saying the Contemporary is the hardest of the three starter dances and that J.R. gave an "incredibly high standard" performance for Week 1.
    SCORES:
    Carrie-Ann- 9
    Len Goodman- 8
    Bruno Tonioli- 9
    TOTAL: 26/30
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Couple No. 4 Ray Lewis & Cheryl Burke
    Dance- Cha-Cha-Cha
    Music- Nights Like This (Eli Paperboy Reed)
    Training Highlights- "Ray would be amazing if he could remember his steps" Cheryl jokes, and Ray admits it's harder than he though to put all of the pieces of the dance together. "I'm a football player, not a dancer" he says, but Cheryl says his hips have a life of their own and are "adding a whole new dimension" to the dance.
    Judges Summary: Carrie-Ann noticed a mistake right at the start that possibly detracted from the dance, but praised Ray's enthusiasm and "ear to ear grin". Len confesses to missing the mistake and says it wasn't bad at all "considering you're a big, burly sportsman". Bruno liked the hip movement but wants to see Ray look more confident when he's out of hold.
    SCORES:
    Carrie-Ann- 6
    Len Goodman- 7
    Bruno Tonioli- 6
    TOTAL: 19/30
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Couple No. 5 Valerie Bertinelli & Tony Dovolani
    Dance- Foxtrot
    Music- L-O-V-E (Michael Buble)
    Training Highlights- Tony and Valerie spend most of their rehearsal time practising in her mansion, as she has filming commitments that require her to be in LA. They're having a blast and Valerie says she is "completely in love" with the Foxtrot. Tony says he's set himself the aim of getting his highest ever Week 1 score and believes Valerie is the woman to help him get it. "No pressure Val".
    Judges Summary: Len calls Valerie "one classy lady" and says he appreciates Tony choreographing a "traditional" Foxtrot. Carrie-Ann admits he expected nothing less from Valerie who she gushingly describes as a "TV icon- who can dance!" Bruno says it was "slinkier than a cocktail bar crooner" and shouts for someone to bring him a Martini.
    SCORES:
    Carrie-Ann- 7
    Len- 8
    Bruno- 7
    TOTAL: 22/30
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Couple No. 6 Criss Angel & Karina Smirnoff
    Dance- Contemporary
    Song- Counting What Ifs (boyChild)
    Training Highlights- Karina and Criss are training in Vegas because of Criss's live show, something Karina gets to be part of when he calls her upon stage to perform a disappearing trick. Criss wants to incorporate an illusion trick into the Contemporary, which he's struggling with. Karina wants to give the dance a "dark" feel, and suggests that Criss watches some horror movies to "get into character".
    Judges Summary: Bruno was astounded by the trick (which involved Karina suddenly appearing in a perspex box hanging above the stage), but felt the dance itself lacked bite. Carrie-Ann disagreed and says the routine did successfully include the "weird" vibe Criss & Karina were going for. Len chooses not to comment directly on the dance, but says that anyone who can include a magic trick in a Contemporary "gets my respect".
    SCORES:
    Carrie-Ann- 6
    Len Goodman- 6
    Bruno Tonioli- 6
    TOTAL- 18/30
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Couple No. 7 Nichelle Nichols & Serge Onik
    Dance- Cha-Cha-Cha
    Song- The Nittty Gritty (Gladys Knight & The Pips)
    Training Highlights- Serge is "awestruck" to be dancing with a TV legend in his first go around the block- "I used to watch Star Trek as a kid, I think my dad had a crush on Uhura". Nichelle orders Serge not to choreograph the dance "as if I'm 81, choreograph it as if I'm 18".
    Judges Summary: Carrie-Ann calls Nichelle an inspiration and compliments Serge on his choreography which was "pitched perfectly". Bruno focuses on the wiggliness of Nichelle's hips and says their Cha-Cha had "more sass than a drag act Nene Leakes". Len wants to go and pickle his walnuts- "talk about golden oldie, that was brilliant!"
    SCORES:
    Carrie-Ann- 6
    Len- 7
    Bruno- 7
    TOTAL: 20/30
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Couple No. 8 Andi Dorfman & Val Chmerekovskiy
    Dance- Foxtrot
    Song- Love Story (Taylor Swift)
    Training Highlights- Three's company in training as Andi's fiancee Josh insists on joining them for their first attempt. Val jokingly offers to teach Josh a few moves... an offer he takes up! Andi "loves" the Foxtrot because it makes her feel like a "princess" but says that it's hurting her feet more than she ever imagined, something that holds no sway with Val- "no pain, no gain" is his mantra for everything.
    Judges Summary: Although Len liked the dance, he felt there was a bit of "stiffness" in Andi's shoulders that spread down her body as the dance progressed. Carrie-Ann and Bruno both agree that although it was a well choreographed routine, there was a noticeable difference in quality when Andi was out of hold- "you were nervous, that's understandable, but don't let them take hold" says Carrie-Ann.
    SCORES:
    Carrie-Ann- 6
    Len- 7
    Bruno- 6
    TOTAL: 19/30
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gah, visitors!

I'll update this later when they've gone- only four dances to go.
  • Options
    I've Got ClassI've Got Class Posts: 12,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrilled for Nichelle. :D

Looking forward to seeing how Shannon does, I'm glad that both J.R. and Josh have done well!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've popped into Birmingham- I'll be back at sixish so will complete then.

Shannon is closing the show ;)