Options

"Plugin container for Firefox has stopped working"

I keep getting this message and having to shut fown FF. I used this method to disable the container plugin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEcQdtC_wLo

but yet it still keeps happening! Any ideas?

Thanks
TH

Comments

• Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet I can guess the culprit ... Adobe Flash Player. Or, as I prefer to call it, Adobe Crash Player. As a plugin
    for browsers, especially the Mozilla based ones such as Firefox and SeaMonkey, it is the most buggy and
    unstable POS browser plugin around. Adobe don't give a s**t, especially while there are such a massive
    number of websites that still rely on this anachronistic crap to deliver multimedia content.

The Plugin Container was created by Mozilla to act as a "sandbox" for errant plugins. Basically, if a plugin
    crashes it won't take the entire browser down with it ... but Adobe Crash Player still manages to do it!
  • Options
    TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Thanks. I did actually download the update very recently. Is this the same as "Shockwave Flash Player", as that's the only one I can see in my plugins? If I disable it am I likely to have any problems do you think?

Thx again
    TH
  • Options
    REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uninstall 'shockwave player' this is completely separate plug-in ,you should only have adobe flash player installed for Firefox to run , that's why your getting issues mate ,i'd run CCleaner after installing shockwave

flash player > http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=KLXMF
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get the same message for 'Shockwave Player' with the plugin container. I just click on 'Wait' and 'Don't Tell Me Again' and it works while I am logged in, then I have to do it again when I reset or log in.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REDBUS wrote: »
    uninstall 'shockwave player' this is completely separate plug-in ,you should only have adobe flash player installed for Firefox to run , that's why your getting issues mate ,i'd run CCleaner after installing shockwave

flash player > http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=KLXMF

Actually for whatever reason Firefox describes Adobe Flash player as Shockwave Flash.If you try to update it from within Firefox you might get directed to the Flash player webpage or,as I have just tried, to some Adobe Security Bulletin page where you have to hunt for a link to the correct plug in.

Once you do find the link it ends up at the Flash download webpage.
  • Options
    REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Actually for whatever reason Firefox describes Adobe Flash player as Shockwave Flash.If you try to update it from within Firefox you might get directed to the Flash player webpage or,as I have just tried, to some Adobe Security Bulletin page where you have to hunt for a link to the correct plug in.

Once you do find the link it ends up at the Flash download webpage.

yeah just noticed that ,bit confusing ,in that case i'd recommend running flash uninstaller and re-install ,works wonders ,tbh not had any issues with flash/firefox in long while (since updating to windows 8) ,but yeah sooner the sort it out the better .
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love using Firefox, then it got really buggy with Flash issues and constant crashing. Their plugins are infrequently updated now and the whole thing looks tired. I even tries the latest version last week and it was too slow when compared to Chrome. Sad, as it used to be my browser of choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Given that that's a problem and I've uninstalled it, what do I do now about Flash content? I have a site I go to where I need to hear audio clips but they won't run without Flash Player. If I reinstall it I'm back to square one. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK, sorted it out: using Torch instead of Firefox for that site.
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I uninstalled shockwave player from Firefox. Now flash content will not play. So how do I install flash player for Firefox. Not the plug in.