Options

Google Earth

Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My sister has a Dell Inspiron (given to her by a friend!) and has tried to download Google Earth on to it but her anti-virus (AVG) prevents her doing this. I spoke to my grandson who works with computers and he says it would be best to remove AVG and use Microsoft Security Essentials as her anti-virus and not bother with AVG.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avoid Microsoft Security Essentials - even Microsoft admit it's not very good.
    This sums it up: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1303828/microsoft-security-essentials
    "Although earlier versions of Security Essentials have performed strongly, this test shows it clearly lagging behind even the worst competition. It's still better than nothing, but if you want free anti-virus software we'd recommend http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1303810/avast-2014-free-antivirus
    Better still, consider paying for Kaspersky Internet Security 2014."

However, I fail to see why AVG is preventing the installation of Google Earth
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    My sister has a Dell Inspiron (given to her by a friend!) and has tried to download Google Earth on to it but her anti-virus (AVG) prevents her doing this. I spoke to my grandson who works with computers and he says it would be best to remove AVG and use Microsoft Security Essentials as her anti-virus and not bother with AVG.

AVG is pretty awful. MSE is not intrusive, but doesn't offer good protection.

Go for an alternative free antivirus such as Bitdefender, Avast or Avira.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »

Very bad advice. Microsoft Security Essentials is like some who's not reliable at all.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Avast has been my free AV of choice for a long while now.

Be careful when installing though cos if you dont read the steps fully it will install Chrome and put you on a trial of the full product. The basic AV is totally free for personal use - you just need to give them your name and email address each year.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Avast has been my free AV of choice for a long while now.

Be careful when installing though cos if you dont read the steps fully it will install Chrome and put you on a trial of the full product. The basic AV is totally free for personal use - you just need to give them your name and email address each year.

Or,for those who tend not to read the screens, download/install Avast from here https://ninite.com (I've always found it safe and reliable) and all it will install is the program - no Chrome or 'free trial'
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could also try bing maps on my windows 8 laptop I find the images are about a year upto date where as google earth not been updated since 2005 for us LOL so all the new buildings and things don't show on it.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless she wants to do something more complicated with Google Earth, much of what it does is available using Google Maps without downloading any software.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Unless she wants to do something more complicated with Google Earth, much of what it does is available using Google Maps without downloading any software.
    Exactly.

I found that my installed version of Google Earth doesn't allow zooming, whereas the web version of Google Maps does.
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    It is not necessary to change the AV program. It is probably just indicating an unwanted bundled Toolbar (PUP), probably Google Toolbar as you would expect.

You can switch off the PUP scanner in AVG temporarily and try the download again.

Another way is to put the Downloads folder into the exceptions/ignore list temporarily to do the download.
    Do the download for Google Earth and then move it to another location then put that Folder on the exceptions/ignore list. Then of course remove the Downloads Folder from the exceptions/ignore list.

You need to know how to do these things with AV software as so much free stuff comes with these bundled trashy items. Also to deal with false positives.

You will have to look at specifics in the AVG Manual. If you don't have it then download it.

Always go to custom install for Google Earth and carefully make sure not to install any of this as per usual with 'free' stuff.

Google Earth zooms, there is no problem with that. It is a lot faster than the Web Browser version. This is in part as I use a much larger cache for the Desktop Application, than with a Web Browser.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for your various comments. I will do as you say and avoid MSE. I know what you mean about Chrome as I had that appear on my PC a while ago and it took all my effort to remove it. Which I eventually did.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    ...Google Earth zooms, there is no problem with that...
    Yep. Sorry, I meant that it doesn't zoom in the same way as Google Maps.

With Google Maps, you can zoom in & out easily using the centre mouse wheel, or by double-clicking on a greyed-out square, or by using the +/- buttons on the keyboard. With Google Earth you have to use the on-screen slider bar.

I notice that Google Earth doesn't zoom in as far as Google Maps does.
  • Options
    Biggles1000Biggles1000 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »

With Google Maps, you can zoom in & out easily using the centre mouse wheel, or by double-clicking on a greyed-out square, or by using the +/- buttons on the keyboard. With Google Earth you have to use the on-screen slider bar.

Not true! I use Google Earth almost daily, using the mouse wheel to zoom with.

What doesn't zoom, using the mouse centre wheel, is Street View in Google Earth. I use Google Maps usually for more detailed map detail, but not on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that was odd! I went to my sister's at lunch time all ready to try and sort out Google Earth and when I tried to put it on there was no problem at all and it all worked fine. Don't know what that was all about!