yours

V. Annoyed person

Comments

• timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D

So succinct and so true.

Currently trying to watch Appropriate Adult and the picture sticks every couple of minutes although the sound is fine. Complete PITA.
  • EhlertEhlert Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with the above, although BBC i player still buffers now and again even though I'm on BT Ifinnity with 32mb. download speed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Try the Scottish version of ITV Player. It streams much better :
    http://player.stv.tv/
  • lmddawsonlmddawson Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I think if they sort out the adverts, it'll be vastly improved. It's annoying when you want to go straight to the middle of the episode of something and you have to sit through 2 loads of adverts. Adverts are the bane of my life.
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Apart from the obvious (adverts, not brilliant resolution) I have no playback issues with ITV Player whatsoever, I never have.

I now have a higher spec PC than I previously had (dual core, HD capable video card and 2gb RAM) but even on the old PC it was fine which only had a bog standard video card, 512gb RAM and a average processor.

I do have fibre cable broadband though but only the lower end 10mb connection.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trying to watch the Wales vs Ireland game is a joke. It's reset itself three time to the start so I have to sit through adverts before I can fast forward - and the PQ is appalling !
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch it through the PS3 and both BBC iplayer and ITV are constantly buffering just gave up in the end, i ended up watching some content on my PC from BBCiplayer and there wasnt a problem.
  • redstar81redstar81 Posts: 1,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has taken me an hour and half to watch about 50 mins of rugby. It is absolutely awful......did you know the rugby world cup was sponsored by IBM.....I do and will never forget that now having been told about 20 times!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redstar81 wrote: »
    It has taken me an hour and half to watch about 50 mins of rugby. It is absolutely awful......did you know the rugby world cup was sponsored by IBM.....I do and will never forget that now having been told about 20 times!

I think they need to add a disclaimer pointing out that although they sponsor it they have nothing to do with Itv's 2003 era realplayer quality streaming.
    Forum Member
    What spec of computers and broadband are you guys using?

I have read many posts from people who seem to be have problems with ITV Player but as I previously mentioned it works faultlessly for me and always has. the again people have said similar about other players.

I have read ad blocking software can affect ITV Player but I don't think they mean it affects the actual performance, rather it just restricts playback.

If it makes any difference I use MS Securtity Essentials and regularly run CC Cleaner and always accept the latest Flash updates.

It is certainly a bit 'smudgey', no doubt about that but actual playback is totally stable and even was on my old and low spec machine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    What spec of computers and broadband are you guys using?

I have read many posts from people who seem to be have problems with ITV Player but as I previously mentioned it works faultlessly for me and always has. the again people have said similar about other players.

I have read ad blocking software can affect ITV Player but I don't think they mean it affects the actual performance, rather it just restricts playback.

If it makes any difference I use MS Securtity Essentials and regularly run CC Cleaner and always accept the latest Flash updates.

It is certainly a bit 'smudgey', no doubt about that but actual playback is totally stable and even was on my old and low spec machine.

The quality is appaling compared to 4od and the BBC iplayer. For ref I use a 10mb cable connection and have a quad core processor and 4 gig of ram. Lets just say it's fast enough to d/l, convert and stream material in HD to my ps3 from <cough> other sources.
    Forum Member
    The quality is appaling compared to 4od and the BBC iplayer. For ref I use a 10mb cable connection and have a quad core processor and 4 gig of ram. Lets just say it's fast enough to d/l, convert and stream material in HD to my ps3 from <cough> other sources.

There's no doubt the resolution is significantly lower on ITV Player than the i-player or 4OD but playback is totally stable at my end and always has been.

I noticed you have exactly same broadband connection as me and your PC is of a considerably higher spec than mine, I wonder what the problem is then?

You certainly don't appear to be alone having playback issues on ITV Player, that's for sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Have only tried using it twice for the Tour De France highlights. Never again. Had to watch every ad break. If you made the mistake of trying to skip a break it flipped out and sent you back to the start of the prog! Farly pish quality as well

Take the BBC i-player for granted these days, but trying to use this or 4OD, reminds me how great a service it is
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it still regularly have out-of-sync audio? That was one of the reasons I stoped using the crapulous pile of old tosh.

I don't think it's particularly a PC spec issue, given the large number of people who used to slag off they system on the ITV board = more precisely it's not an issue of people having particularly specs and configurations that don't work for most sites. ITV should sort themselves out instead of expecting people to jump through hoops tweaking their setup, when there are no problems with alternative services.
  • chriswyattchriswyatt Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's ShiteTV; pretty much everything they produce is pure crap.
  • steve.l90steve.l90 Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    For some reason ITV Player has conked out on OSX Lion as of today, can’t say I’ve done anything different since yesterday....have they changed settings?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Until recently there has never been a programme on ITV that I have wanted to watch on ITV Player. Now that I've finally found an ITV prog which is worth revisiting I find that I can't get it to show anything. not even ads! I can find the programme listings and find that the prog I want is available but when I select it I just get an empty black viewing box..
    Computer is an Acer 7735 Core 2 Duo laptop with 4 Gb ram and Win7. I'm using IE9 and have the latest version of Flash.
    It's not just a problem with one prog. I can't get anything to play. :mad::mad::mad:
  • freefallerfreefaller Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Trying to watch ITV Player and it's told me to update flash (which I have done) and it's still coming up with the same thing!!

I've updated with Flash 11. Anyone else having the same problem?
  • ThePenkethPedanThePenkethPedan Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Slightly off-topic, but often when I watch BBC iPlayer, a message flashes on screen -something about if I continue ,my computer may be affected and cause slow-running, Anyone else get this and if so, do you stop or continue. If the latter, have any ill-effects subsequently shown up?
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV player is AWFUL during X factor, I really loath that they can't get their stinking act together.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    No problem playing back the content via my Virgin 10Mb connection, on my Dual-Core PC with 4Gb of RAM, running Windows 7 and the latest version of Flash.

The content itself on the other hand....oh dear. :o
  • caziancazian Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I'm having a strange problem with ITV Player, on the main PC, running Windows 7. No programmes will play, just adverts.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with the broadband connection itself (Virgin Media cable broadband, using a D-Link DIR-615 wi-fi router), as there is no problem playing back programmes using a Windows 7 laptop on the same network. I've tried all sorts to resolve the problem.

The other online streaming services, BBC iplayer and 4OD both work, no problems.

Windows Update is fully up to date, as is Adobe Flash. It makes no difference if I turn off Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials (virus checker). The problem is the same using Firefox, IE9 and Chrome. Whether I connect the PC using an ethernet cable straight to the router or a wifi adaptor, it makes no difference.

Another strange thing is it will normally show me the adverts/sponsorship promos proceedings the programme, but normally, it will start on advert 2 of 2, 2 of 3, or 3 of 3, but never 1 of 2 or 1 of 3.

When the programme tries to play, it gives an error message within the player screen which says: "Sorry - An internet connection failure caused the video to stop. Please refresh the page to try again". Needless to say, refreshing the page doesn't work. Neither does opening and closing the browser or rebooting.

I'm in the UK, so that shouldn't be a problem. In fact, I can watch catch up ITV programmes via STV's own website without a problem at www.stv.tv, but they do not carry all of ITV's output.

Anyone any ideas how this can be fixed? There doesn't seem to be any problems reaching other sites and I don't understand why it only affects one computer on the network.

This has been happening for at least a week. I hadn't tried to use ITV Player online for ages, but I'm sure it used to work in the past.

Until I can resolve this, my thoughts are summed up in the first post in this thread!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    cazian wrote: »
    I'm having a strange problem with ITV Player, on the main PC, running Windows 7. No programmes will play, just adverts.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with the broadband connection itself (Virgin Media cable broadband, using a D-Link DIR-615 wi-fi router), as there is no problem playing back programmes using a Windows 7 laptop on the same network. I've tried all sorts to resolve the problem.

The other online streaming services, BBC iplayer and 4OD both work, no problems.

Windows Update is fully up to date, as is Adobe Flash. It makes no difference if I turn off Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials (virus checker). The problem is the same using Firefox, IE9 and Chrome. Whether I connect the PC using an ethernet cable straight to the router or a wifi adaptor, it makes no difference.

Another strange thing is it will normally show me the adverts/sponsorship promos proceedings the programme, but normally, it will start on advert 2 of 2, 2 of 3, or 3 of 3, but never 1 of 2 or 1 of 3.

When the programme tries to play, it gives an error message within the player screen which says: "Sorry - An internet connection failure caused the video to stop. Please refresh the page to try again". Needless to say, refreshing the page doesn't work. Neither does opening and closing the browser or rebooting.

I'm in the UK, so that shouldn't be a problem. In fact, I can watch catch up ITV programmes via STV's own website without a problem at www.stv.tv, but they do not carry all of ITV's output.

Anyone any ideas how this can be fixed? There doesn't seem to be any problems reaching other sites and I don't understand why it only affects one computer on the network.

This has been happening for at least a week. I hadn't tried to use ITV Player online for ages, but I'm sure it used to work in the past.

Until I can resolve this, my thoughts are summed up in the first post in this thread!

I'm having the same problem. I'm not in the UK so I thought that might be the cause. I only watch "Dancing on Ice" and for the last two weeks it has been unwatchable. The player just skips from one AD break to the other and only shows a few seconds of content in between.

But don't worry, because for your viewing pleasure they've brought in "interactive" ads so you can choose the colour of your sofa while you are trying to watch the content that isn't there! :rolleyes:

The ITV player has always been crap when compared to the others. It's probably due to the fact that they want to stick the ADs in all over the place.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably so you cannot download the programmes. I tried to do it once and the playback was awful.

It was like some 1980s Betamax video with bad colour drain.

So now I make sure I record the programme when it's on TV!