Sunshine on Leith

twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone seen this and is it worth going to?

I just watched the trailer and it looks like a feel good movie

Comments

• Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Anyone seen this and is it worth going to?

I just watched the trailer and it looks like a feel good movie

Its mamma mia set in cold smelly junkie infested leith.:D
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the last Hibs/Hearts game in Leith it started snowing when they played that song over the PA. This is probably off topic. Go and see Filth instead.
  • Oicho ThrowOicho Throw Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Och aye it's braw bein' cannon fodder!

Noo a wee teary bit tae let us slip in a couple o sad yins!

Noo the cheery bit, everybody's dancin' aboot an aw that! Braw!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanna see this. It looks great
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really want to go and see this as it does look like fun. Be interesting to see how many people actually know all 13 songs by The Proclaimers
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love The Proclaimers, so I can't wait to see this film. I hope 'Cap In Hand' is on the soundtrack.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like it :(

Songs in the film

Sky takes the soul
    I'm on my way
    Over and Done with
    Misty Blue
    Make my heart fly
    Let's get married
    Oh Jean
    Hate my love
    Then I met you
    Should have been loved
    Sunshine on Leith
    Letter from America
    I'm Gonna Be (500 miles)
  • Rozzi RainbowRozzi Rainbow Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    I went to see this this afternoon and really enjoyed it :) I didn't know what to expect and didn't know any songs by The Proclaimers other than I'm Gonna Be, but thought the trailers looked good and I like musicals so thought I'd give it a go. I thought it started a bit slowly with not much storyline but once it picked up it was really good. A good afternoon's entertainment, and lovely shots of Edinburgh.
  • jab6ccjab6cc Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    It was great!

Noticed one major faux-pas though ... they leave a restaurant in the Merchant City (Glasgow) and get in an Edinburgh black hack bound for Morningside ... that musta been an expensive ride home :P
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,331,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went to see it last night......absolutely loved it......:D

Think it's one of those where you have to leave your critical faculties at home and just enjoy it.....if you want to be cynical, sneery and well, a bit cool I suppose, then yeah you could say it's a load of a Mama Mia-esque naffness....

But that's their loss. Ok it helps if you know the Proclaimers songs ( there was only one I didn't), but that said they're generally instantly catchy so unfamiliarity isn't really a setback, and the score was wholly impressive, adding depth to songs that previously were just an acoustic guitar and dual vocals.

And finally a special thumbs up to the choreography accompanying the closing number (no prizes for guessing which song), splendidly done and uplifting. I left the cinema beaming :)
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    A musical based on the hits of The Proclaimers?? They only had two hits as I recall!!
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it last night and loved it. You can see my flat! The geography is all wrong in places. The 2 guys are gorgeous though. It's a no brainer movie. Picking it apart is pointless!
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah - its fodder in a 'love actually' kind of way. will entertain for a couple of hours, but is totally naff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I thought it was ok. I think it will struggle because most of the songs will be unknown to the majority of the audience unlike Mamma Mia.

Having the three storylines going does clutter it up and so it loses it's way all the way through the film. IMO.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I thought it was ok. I think it will struggle because most of the songs will be unknown to the majority of the audience unlike Mamma Mia.

Having the three storylines going does clutter it up and so it loses it's way all the way through the film. IMO.
    I think I only knew 3 of them.:confused:

Good film, but I was expecting more Sunshine and the Cinematography was awful...more money spent on that, would have made for a more visually rewarding film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    I think I only knew 3 of them.:confused:

Good film, but I was expecting more Sunshine and the Cinematography was awful...more money spent on that, would have made for a more visually rewarding film.

I knew 4, so I have you beaten... just!

If this gets a release in the US it is really going to struggle as they only had one known song there and that was because it was used in the film Benny and Joon in 1993.

Whilst I enjoyed the film it does concern me how many British films look like the latest in a long line of ITV drama.
    Take away the music and that could easily have been a TV series in look. The same with Song for Marion, Made in Dagenham and so many other British films.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glorious. Surreal watching this in Leith itself
    Forum Member
    Glorious. Surreal watching this in Leith itself
    Different film, but I saw Bronson starring Tom Hardy as the crazy Prisoner....about 500 yards from Wakefield Prison.:eek:
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't slag this off as obviously a lot of people like this type of film.

We have the Cineworld Unlimited so go to see most films.

But people bursting into song for no reason???:eek:

After 25 mins we both looked at each other and said WTF? and left!

Think we will have to be a bit more selective in future!:D
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't you realise it was supposed to be a musical? ;)
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    Didn't you realise it was supposed to be a musical? ;)
    :)

Yes and no.

I've seen so many trailers that I must have got it confused with Filth!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed it, went with the better half and could count on one hand how many guys were in the cinema lol .. feel good movie. :)
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Over & done with, it's over & done with, over & done with, it's over & done with...'

Repeat ad nauseum in my head
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Was going to see it but having heard the reviews I'll stay put and wait till the new Thor comes out instead.
    Forum Member
    Axtol wrote: »
    Was going to see it but having heard the reviews I'll stay put and wait till the new Thor comes out instead.
    A big contrast in Films - Thor and Leigh.:confused: