Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 48)

Comments

• Options
    Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair points, but I think Zlat might fit the bill as, at his age, he probably qualifies as a senior player who will actually benefit from being rested occasionally.

If he were late twenties and at his peak there could be an issue, especially considering his famed tempestuous nature, but even then I think there's enough football for us to have two top class strikers in the squad.

Whichever way we look at it, we are weak up top, and hugely reliant on Rooney staying fit.

despite my previous post defending ibrahimovic i definitely wouldn't sign him at this stage of his career, he will never accept spending a lot of time on the bench due to his massive ego and there were definite signs last season that he has declined physically, he would have been an incredible signing a few years ago but not now, i think going back to milan would be a smart move for him...
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    despite my previous post defending ibrahimovic i definitely wouldn't sign him at this stage of his career, he will never accept spending a lot of time on the bench due to his massive ego and there were definite signs last season that he has declined physically, he would have been an incredible signing a few years ago but not now, i think going back to milan would be a smart move for him...

I agree it's perhpas not the the most sensible option...he'd be great entertainment though:D
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Ajax go out of the Champions League, then we will not be able to play Sporting in our qualifying match.
  • Options
    dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it feasible that there may not be any class strikers available at the moment without paying through the teeth and that perhaps a short term option like Zlatan could work?
  • Options
    dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PSG will not even sell Zlatan just like Madrid were never gonna sell Ramos or Bale.
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toastie15 wrote: »

my favourite kit. the shorts are just delicious. It's like they fade out at the bottom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my favourite kit. the shorts are just delicious. It's like they fade out at the bottom.

I agree it does look nice, quite how often though we will actually play in it though?
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it does look nice, quite how often though we will actually play in it though?

I'd guess we'll be contracted to use it a minimum number of times.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect it'll be used for away cup matches and champions league ones if we get in.
  • Options
    Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    It could be more to do with his attitude/ego, than his ability.

I can imagine that he falls out with quite a lot of people, including his managers.

I've read his book "I am Zlatan Ibrahimovic" and I would highly recommend it; it's a very interesting read and the best footballer's autobiography you will find. It details exactly why he fell out with various managers and players over the years and his side of the story rather than just what was reported.

Call me mad but I believe he is the world's best player and has been for several years. Zlatan Ibrahimovic is one of the greatest strikers to walk the earth and his influence and ability to dominate games is incredible. He is allowed to have an ego because he is the world's greatest and if he believes that he is, he is more likely to be able to play confidently which is integral in this sport.

However, I can understand Man United fans' scepticism as when Ibrahimovic joins a team, the team must be built around him. He must be the integral player and the player the whole team serves, otherwise he cannot perform at his unstoppable best. Give Zlatan what he needs and he'll win you the title. Stick him up front with Rooney and don't compromise and he'll be a flop.
    whedon247 wrote: »
    so you would rather not have him for 2 years and have less chance of winning title????

also juve lost him cos of demotion to serie b, out of their hands.

inter lost him because all conquering barca came in for him and they got best deal in history(40m and etoo iirc who went on to help them win CL)

milan lost him because mega bucks came in from PSG

only barca you could argue were happy to see him go, psg wouldnt mind may at his age as it will allow cavani to flourish, kinda like what jose had to do with cech and courtious.

Barca were just happy to see him go to a team that wasn't Real Madrid, as it was his original intention to go there just to spite Barca due to their allegedly appalling treatment of him.
    yep, all sound good excuses but bottom line is 4 of the biggest clubs in world football have all let him go after an average of 2 yrs.

That doesnt keep happening unless there are problems. Im perfectly happy to accept if im missing something regarding him as a great footballer as he is obviously well regarded, i just dont and never have seen it.

Ibrahimovic is a hired gun, he isn't one of these players like Messi who just stays in his comfort zone at his boyhood club for most of his career. He moves around and plays where it suits him.
    Yes his record is quite staggering really when you look at all of the trophies that he has won (he is close I think to Giggs' tally of league titles which is no mean feat!), but he is getting to that stage now in his career, where it is time for that famous "last big payday move", and I don't think that should be with us.

He is still a very good player, but I don't think he is someone that for the kind of money that he would probably want, that would be first choice, and so I don't think he would be happy not playing, and with Rooney here, and us seemingly only playing one striker, and that one most likely to be Rooney, it would not be worth the hassle with Ibra.

As I've said, when you sign Ibrahimovic you alter the side to suit him. Perhaps playing him up front with Rooney playing behind is an option? Something like a 4-2-3-1 with Rooney behind him and alongside the two wingers? It would give Ibrahimovic the free reign he needs and still let Rooney score goals.
    Re the Zlat issue:

It's a bit of an unnecessary debate considering his age. If he joins us he'd very much be a short term option.

He's obviously been about a bit, but as others have said, that's probably down to his temperament rather than his quality. Perhaps a better way of looking at it is, despite the fact he didn't last long at his previous club, huge clubs have always wanted to sign him. I think that will once again be the case this summer if he decides to move on.

Whilst I love Zlatan and I think he's an awesome player I just can't see him moving from PSG this season, Paris is still where the money is at the moment and I can't see him relocating his family and moving teams to go to Man United who just want to use him as a reserve striker. He wants to be top scorer and he wants to be the main star of the team wherever he goes, and he certainly won't get that at Manchester United.
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member

Arsenal, Sunderland, Southampton and Stoke are certainties, apart from that it's anyone's guess.

Not a fan of the shorts at all, but Adidas have done that with most third kit shorts this season in one way or another..

Milan's third kit
    http://www.footyheadlines.com/2015/07/ac-milan-15-16-third-kit.html
  • Options
    toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    United's possible CL play-off opponent: CSKA/Sparta Prague, Lazio, Brugge/Panathinaikos, Monaco, Fenerbahce or Rapid Vienna
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Late stories from the papers

The Sun

Manchester United are ready to sell midfielder Jesse Lingard to Bristol City in a £2.5million deal.

Boss Louis Van Gaal cleared the England Under-21 starlet to leave Old Trafford yesterday and he will sort out terms on the move immedy.

Lingard, 22, was in LVGs first Premier League side last season but injury cost him his place in the side.

Now Championship new-boys City hope to persuade Lingard to drop a level.

The Robins will have to pay Lingard around £1million per year - the biggest salary they have ever committed to at Ashton Gate.

Manchester United made TWO world record-busting £100million bids for Gareth Bale this summer.

Real Madrid claim Manchester United boss Louis Van Gaal was so desperate to land Bale he attempted to smash the £86m mark set when the Spaniards landed the 26-year-old from Spurs in 2013.

But sources close to Real president Florentino Perez confirmed the Bernabeu chief refused to deal with United, even though he has made Red Devils No1 David De Gea his prime target.

And Wales star Bale was not interested in leaving Real either despite copping flak from fans as rivals Barcelona waltzed off with a La Liga and Champions League double.

Real insiders say United deliberately bombarded the Spanish giants with offers in order to force them to meet the £40m price tag for wantaway De Gea.
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is that Lingard all set to be added to the youth production line "not good enough" category? No shock there.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    Still no sign of Pedro signing whats the latest there then. Id like 2 more players signed before the deadline but i dont think we will sign anyone. If thats the case we will just be Top 4 again this year and for United that is simply not good enough. Rooney can not do all the work himself he needs another striker and we really do need a centre back. United were given the run around by Madrid over Ramos, anyone with a Brain knows that was never gonna happen so why did United mess around, serious questions need to be asked there.

Reports suggest that Pedro won't happen until Di Maria is sold. And that won't happen until PSG up their offer.

Having said that, Enrique has publically stated that he doesn't want him sold, and that Pedro hasn't indicated that he wants to leave. So in summary, it's anyone's guess!
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supposedly Woodward was happily blabbing to all and sundry over evening drinks on the USA tour that Pedro was United's for the taking.

On Di Maria, I liked this line from the Telegraph yesterday:
    'There was a certain irony in Angel di Maria’s decision not to board a flight from Buenos Aires to San Francisco in order to join up with the Manchester 'United squad in the United States 10 days ago. As one member of the (United) touring party remarked, it was the first time the Argentine winger had not been a passenger for months'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So is that Lingard all set to be added to the youth production line "not good enough" category? No shock there.

No shock, as apart from 3 or 4 youngsters, the youth system is in a bit of a mess and has been for a few years now. It's been widely reported that Moyes wanted to over haul it and LVG is in the process of doing it. It hasn't been in a great state for a while. It hasn't helped that the talent that does come through isn't getting the chances as they did. However, we cans still maintain our record for having home grown talent in our match day squads. Which is far more than most clubs of our size and certainly in our league.

It will help mind now that Brian McClair has left, I never felt he was any good coaching or directing the academy.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Supposedly Woodward was happily blabbing to all and sundry over evening drinks on the USA tour that Pedro was United's for the taking.

On Di Maria, I liked this line from the Telegraph yesterday:

Lol at the that :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Ajax lost their CL qualifier. Should make it a bit easier to get Cillessen, should we decide he's a suitable replacement for DDG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Supposedly Woodward was happily blabbing to all and sundry over evening drinks on the USA tour that Pedro was United's for the taking

Didn't Woodward make similar remarks about Fabragass in the USA and wasn't he at Barca too. History had best not repeat itself for his sake. All the good work he's done to actually build a reputation from his first summer has taken a couple of hits again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »
    No shock, as apart from 3 or 4 youngsters, the youth system is in a bit of a mess and has been for a few years now. It's been widely reported that Moyes wanted to over haul it and LVG is in the process of doing it. It hasn't been in a great state for a while. It hasn't helped that the talent that does come through isn't getting the chances as they did. However, we cans still maintain our record for having home grown talent in our match day squads. Which is far more than most clubs of our size and certainly in our league.

It will help mind now that Brian McClair has left, I never felt he was any good coaching or directing the academy.

Yes I am in full agreement with you regarding our youth set-up, it is a mess, and the sooner it gets overhauled the better I say.

The fact that we still haven't replaced McClair is very telling I think.
    We need a structure that will maximise the talent that is at those youth levels, currently it does seem a bit hodgepodge.

Lingard going would be a shame, but it would sum up our productivity as of late, which is not really all that impressive sadly.
  • Options
    Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Ajax lost their CL qualifier. Should make it a bit easier to get Cillessen, should we decide he's a suitable replacement for DDG.

why does that make it easier for us to sign him:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why does that make it easier for us to sign him:confused:

Because they can't offer him CL football.

I'd imagine he'd be quite eager to move even if they'd have made it through, but now there's an extra added incentive to him moving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost wrapped up...
    Angel Di Maria says he is "very happy" to be joining Paris St-Germain from Manchester United, a year after the Old Trafford club paid a British record £59.7m for him.

The Argentina midfielder, 27, had a medical in Qatar on Tuesday ahead of his 63m euro (£44.3m) move.

He later told beIN Sports: "I am very happy to join Paris St-Germain. They're very important."

Di Maria added: "They made it to the quarter-finals of the Champions League, so my objective was to arrive to Paris and to help them through the quarter-final barrier, because they have struggled in the past two seasons.

"I will try to do the best I can to help the club in those objectives and reach the final stages of the Champions League."

Would be very sweet if we smashed them in the CL QF!:D
This discussion has been closed.