snes or n64

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
Forum Member
✭✭
im so bored of new games i want go play older games.

so what shall i buy. a snes or n64

n64 is cheaper....

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    How about get a Wii or original Xbox?
    Softmod and you can have both systems via emulators and as many games as you desire.
    Or if softmod is not your thing then the Wii has virtual console with games from those systems too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i had a wii and brought some games on the virtual store but they dont have the classic games i want. plus the classic controller didnt feel right.

is it easy to softmod an xbox. or maybe i can on a ps2
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    kcspurs wrote: »

is it easy to softmod an xbox.
    Pretty much Yes, as is Wii.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    PS2 doesn't have the guts to even run a SNES emulator well let alone N64 lol. Mod the Wii or Xbox for SNES as they both have nice emulators but neither Xbox or Wii is particularly good for N64, they will play a few classics but nothing compares to an actual N64 system with it's unique controller, I never enjoyed N64 in anything like the same way through emulation.

As for SNES or N64, I say N64 as it's a system I went back to a few years ago as I also got bored with modern games and I'm REALLY happy I did. So many underrated classics.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I say an N64 but I still love mine. Off the top of my head I've got Mario 64, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazoie, Space Station Silicon Valley and Glover. The last two were for me to re-live my childhood :D. There's lots of brilliant games on the N64

If you're looking for a classic console I also recomend the Sega Mega Drive, brilliant console
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yea i had the mega drive aswell wich also was good but seem to enjoy more games on the snes

super double dragon super castlevania zelda super empire strikes back
    and international superstar soccer deluxe the best footy game ever made lol

the n64 seem to be going cheap on ebay so maybe ill get 1 of them first and wait for the snes to drop down in price.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get what you can afford to spend on mate.
    Within the last year I've picked up a SNES, Megadrive, N64.
    Also an NES is winging it's way to me as we speak!

The wife is soooooo impressed :)

Nothing beats having the real hardware and real controllers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yea your right jim so im going to buy the snes first as thats my favorite.

theres some games on ebay that are so expensive for the snes. 1 was going for £140 lol

i been offerd 1 snes 2 controllers 1 is sn pro pad

2 games nba jam and axley
    and snes game converter euro version for £30

its very yellow though.
    do u think its worth it

also can u get a lead so i can play on newer tvs
  • chriswyattchriswyatt Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kcspurs wrote: »
    yea your right jim so im going to buy the snes first as thats my favorite.

theres some games on ebay that are so expensive for the snes. 1 was going for £140 lol

i been offerd 1 snes 2 controllers 1 is sn pro pad

2 games nba jam and axley
    and snes game converter euro version for £30

its very yellow though.
    do u think its worth it

also can u get a lead so i can play on newer tvs

RGB SCART is probably best and most new TVs have still have that connection as far as I'm aware. Failing that S-Video looks fine.

Don't by a SCART cable that claims to work with SNES/N64/Gamecube, as it won't be RGB.

This looks like it should work:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNES-PAL-Scart-TV-cable-lead-True-RGB-Picture-Quality-/110805508139?pt=UK_Video_Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item19cc85e02b

Also, it's worth popping in somewhere like Cash Converters if you've got one near you, sometimes you can get stuff cheaper than eBay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know where you're coming from OP I'm getting a bit bored of newer games it seems every other game is a FPS like Call of Duty or Halo. We've had some great games like Uncharted etc but nothing classic like we used get imo which was all about fun. These days it seems to be all about graphics and online play.
    Forum Member
    It's why I think it's important to play both retro and modern games. I know PSN and XBLA offer all kinds of retro style games and a lot of it is a breath of fresh air but you can't beat gaming on an old skool system.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Pay nothing and simply emulate both on your computer. I assume your machine would meet requirements, which are relatively slim by today's standards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    like someone else said its not the same as playing on the snes.
    thanks for all the advice.

i have the snes emuatlor running of my phone just need to get used to the controls

i just brought a snes off ebay
    looks nice and clean and not yellow plus 4games
    £23 plus £7 p/p
    so not to bad
    Forum Member
    That's a great price for a good conditioned SNES, most of them have that horrible yellowing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i got the snes today.
    it came with

batman returns
    blazing skies
    striker
    nhlpa hockey 93

the snes has no yellow.

its not working on my tv so i need to get that scart lead lol
    Forum Member
    An RGB SCART lead will make all the difference to the picture quality. Batman Returns is quite a fun beat 'em up too. Blazing Skies is Wings 2, the sequel to the original Cinemaware Amiga game. I've only played bits of it but it seems ok. Quite a good deal if the SNES is in good condition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep seen them scarts on amazon for £2. snes gamecube n64 but ill take your advice and pay bit more for the rgb scart

i also brought starwing for 99p and iss deluxe for 99p a few months ago.

i also intend on getting zelda and the star wars games

plus double dragon and castlevani but they are expensive lol

. the games i got are in ok condtion but the snes is in a great condtion.
    i nearly brought one but that was so yellow.
    Forum Member
    Nice one, ISS Deluxe and Star Wing are total classics, so long as you can get past the graphics they haven't aged a bit where it really counts. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    got the snes working. i brought the rgb scart that chriswyatt posted the link . thanks. it came next day

most of the games graphics seem fine but iss deluxe im finding hard to look at. im playing on a huge plasma so thats prob why

and also the controller going to take some getting used to.
    my collection so far is
    batman returns
    blazing skies
    striker
    nhlpa hockey 93 plus console and leads £23
    isse delux unboxed 99p
    starwing 99p unboxed
    star wars £5 boxed.

i see some boxed games are going for more then £100 lol

going to be hard to get zelda and castlevanie cheap. hopefully the car boot sales in summer ill find some lol