Ant and Dec are Ruining it for me and where are the WOW acts!!

CosyaCosya Posts: 4,730
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This series Ant and Dec are ruining the whole thing for me. Nearly every act we cut back stage to them taking the pee out of the contestants or joining in with the act. Why we need to see this I do not know. Its just annoying not entertaining,

Also this year I cant define any stand out acts - anyone else. In past years we had diversity, susan boyle, attraction, girl with dancing dog etc etc. This year no one has really excited me at all

Comments

• conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cosya wrote: »
    This series Ant and Dec are ruining the whole thing for me. Nearly every act we cut back stage to them taking the pee out of the contestants or joining in with the act. Why we need to see this I do not know. Its just annoying not entertaining,

Also this year I cant define any stand out acts - anyone else. In past years we had diversity, susan boyle, attraction, girl with dancing dog etc etc. This year no one has really excited me at all

Actually I think the overuse of Ant and Dec's backstage banter this year is to make up for the fact that its pretty sparse out there on the stage talent wise. I like the boys….they are always good fun, and are pretty much holding the thing together at the moment. Without them its a bunch of semi-professional ok acts all pretending they have never done anything like this before, and a dreadfully scripted set of reactions from the judges. Its still topping the ratings, but there is without doubt a very jaded element coming into it now. As you say, where are the Susan Boyles, Diversity, the Greek dad and son !!! They really were the golden days of BGT. Now they have to import the dregs of Europe and Canada to make up a half interesting cast of characters for the live shows. Its entering its demise has to be said.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that they have to pay this pair a fortune so they have to find something for them to do.
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    conchie wrote: »
    Actually I think the overuse of Ant and Dec's backstage banter this year is to make up for the fact that its pretty sparse out there on the stage talent wise. I like the boys….they are always good fun, and are pretty much holding the thing together at the moment. Without them its a bunch of semi-professional ok acts all pretending they have never done anything like this before, and a dreadfully scripted set of reactions from the judges. Its still topping the ratings, but there is without doubt a very jaded element coming into it now. As you say, where are the Susan Boyles, Diversity, the Greek dad and son !!! They really were the golden days of BGT. Now they have to import the dregs of Europe and Canada to make up a half interesting cast of characters for the live shows. Its entering its demise has to be said.

Oh look - yet another conspiracy theory. You got any proof of this or are you going to say sorry to Simon "Blessed" Cowell or the Producers for daring to suggest they would be party to manipulation or making a fool of the great British public. People like you make me >:(

There you go - that will save the usual apologists having to vent their outrage and they can do something useful instead. :D:p;-)
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Daewos wrote: »
    Oh look - yet another conspiracy theory. You got any proof of this or are you going to say sorry to Simon "Blessed" Cowell or the Producers for daring to suggest they would be party to manipulation or making a fool of the great British public. People like you make me >:(

There you go - that will save the usual apologists having to vent their outrage and they can do something useful instead. :D:p;-)

What a naive post
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daewos in reply to your post.
    I been to recordings
    Audiance been told to stand to clap to cheer to empty stage etc
    There has been talented acts and outstanding act which are Collabro
    Richard and Adam outstanding act of last year
    I could go on about other acts which has got talent but that be going off topic(which I just did :) )
    I know for sure acts has been invited to take part
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Applause" lights to instruct the audience when to applaud have been a staple of television tapings for decades. I've been to see tapings of the Fast Show, Father Ted, Game On and Harry Enfield and they've always been there.

But it seems to only be a problem when it's a Cowell show ..
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Applause" lights to instruct the audience when to applaud have been a staple of television tapings for decades. I've been to see tapings of the Fast Show, Father Ted, Game On and Harry Enfield and they've always been there.

It is a problem when it's a talent show.
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Daewos in reply to your post.
    I been to recordings
    Audiance been told to stand to clap to cheer to empty stage etc
    There has been talented acts and outstanding act which are Collabro
    Richard and Adam outstanding act of last year
    I could go on about other acts which has got talent but that be going off topic(which I just did :) )
    I know for sure acts has been invited to take part

To be serious, of course the programmes are planned and there are lots of tweeks to put together the finished article. The problem for some people is that the producers can't even be bothered to put it together professionally and are only doing a half arsed job. It is like watching a magician - you know it is all sleight of hand but if done well is still impressive. That is where (in my opinion) it is going wrong.

There are talented acts to be sure (not sure about Collabro personally :o )but we all know that some will be dumped to fit in the joke acts. As an example, Curtis the pianist has apparently been dumped again. Regardless of what people may have thought of him he is very talented. But we all know that the fruit cakes and the no-hopers will be on the lives for us all to laugh at because the producers will have a number of acts that they will want in the finals.

Any betting on Lettice, Collabro. the young (c)rapper and Eva all being on the lives and getting a recording deal with Syco? Clearly Curtis wasn't seen as a money spinner. And there is where it is going wrong, it is now all about making money with the talent and even entertainment being almost irrelevant.
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We must be watching different versions of the show. Ant and Dec are in the (non live) shows less and less each year. They used to be in it far more a few years ago, with links telling you what city they were in and face to face interviews with anyone auditioning. Now we only see them in those cut away from the stages bits, they get maybe 5 minutes of air time in total. This Telegraph review of BGT even talks about their 'marginalisation'. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/10817112/Britains-Got-Talent-fifth-auditions-review-weird-and-weepy.html

As the new series reaches its stride it's timely to reflect on the marginalisation of Ant and Dec (they will, of course, have a larger role in the live shows). Their interviews with contestants reduced to blink -and -they're over snippets, the duo's chief job has been pulling silly faces when a performance goes badly. They're likeable, in a cartoonish way, but if suddenly departed, you wonder if viewers would miss, or even notice, their absence.

Some tv reviewer (it may have been Boyd Hilton) was asked why we don't see as much of them in the shows and he said it's because they are subject to the Cowell edit.

I do agree with the OP on the lack of talent this year, it's definitely not at the same standard as it used to be. I found it strange that the Telegraph review I posted was so positive about the show, and that the viewing figures are still very good. So it doesn't seem like the poor talent is affecting the BGT brand too much.
  • Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I think this year and last year there has been a lot less of Ant and Dec compared to previous years and thats probably because Saturday Night Takeaway is on before BGT and they may not want an overload of Ant And Dec
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can you not see why?

Some people will take more of an issue due to the nature of what type of show this is.

There is a difference between fictional sitcoms which may use laughter tracks to enhance the comedy. People might find it annoying and roll their eyeballs, but that's about as angry as they're going to get.

However with a show such as BGT it's a completely different kettle of fish.
    There are other things at stake which aren't quite the same as in other genres of TV shows such as sitcoms or comedy sketch shows. Potential careers, money exchanging hands, the public phoning in votes, possible deals being made after the series has finished, all dependant on what happens within these shows. What do I mean 'possible' deals? I mean definite deals. And it's all presented as if real.
    (The show is even sometimes referred to as a reality show).

Can't you see why some people may feel more strongly than you may if the show is perceived as being fictional when it's presenting itself as real?
    It's not presenting itself as if it were a sitcom such as The IT Crowd or a sketch show such as The Fast Show.