• Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rome being axed.
  • Options
    mccaffepmccaffep Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Killing off Bobby Ewing, bringing him back to life a year later by explaining the previous year had been a dream & making Gary Ewing rich again with the money he got from Bobby's will (money he kept even when Bobby came back to life...)
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True that.
    It was a gripping, if somewhat inaccurate, show that deserved a second series as it had a lot of potential.

There were 3 seasons of Deadwood.
  • Options
    mccaffepmccaffep Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Other big mistakes in TV history :

Killing off John Locke in Lost & then bringing him back (not to mention all the Jacob & his brother mumbo jumbo and that awful final episode )

Stan the Man Jablonski & Norman Buntz in Hill St Blues

But I would argue that the biggest mistake in TV history is undoubtedly whoever thought that the way to improve Scooby Doo was to bring in Scrappy Doo...
  • Options
    maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiping tapes of so many of great Tv shows
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Mrs Brown's Boys and Gary Tank Commander

two of the unfunniest comedy shows to be produced
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the decision to broadcast garbage such as

cash in the attic
    me and mrs jones
    the lenny henry show
    monroe

were appalling ones

Me and Mrs Jones was a hit back in the 70s. I think you're thinking of the Mr and Mrs game show.
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    Mrs Brown's Boys and Gary Tank Commander

two of the unfunniest comedy shows to be produced

Gary Tank Commander was hysterical I loved it ...ohh and love Mrs Brown as well sorrryyyy
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Me and Mrs Jones was a hit back in the 70s. I think you're thinking of the Mr and Mrs game show.

Me And Mrs Jones was a BBC1 sitcom that finished a not-very-successful 6-part run last night.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Invasion Earth !!!
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brother,I'm A Celeb,Pop Idol and all other reality crap and "talent" shows.
  • Options
    DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killing off the majority of the Torchwood team and turning it into The Gwen 'N' Jack Show - an overblown miniseries dealing (ineptly) with disasters on a global scale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes. Lots of episodes of BBC shows are now gone for good, including 106 episodes of Doctor Who. Plus, some episodes of the Likely Lads are gone. Some episodes of the second series of Dad's Army have been lost for good too. :( I've got the Dad's Army DVD box set, that contains the 8 series that survive in full, plus it has the episodes that survive in full for series 2.

I'm pleased that two b&w eps of Dr Who have been found. The Galaxy 4 episode that was found is to be put onto DVD as an extra in 2013. That one has William Hartnell, as well as ex Blue Peter presenter Peter Purves. It was shown in early 1966.

It's not looking likely that we'll ever see any more missing episodes recovered to be cleaned up for eventual DVD release. :( It's a shame because I would really like to see episode four of The Tenth Planet and every episode of Pat Troughton's first story, The Power of the Daleks from Oct & Nov 1966.

Unfourtunately, all we have are soundtracks and short clips, featured on the Lost In Time DVD set. I watch that a lot, being a HUGE Doctor Who fan :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeltaBlues wrote: »
    Killing off the majority of the Torchwood team and turning it into The Gwen 'N' Jack Show - an overblown miniseries dealing (ineptly) with disasters on a global scale.

Yes, that was not good at all. :(

Thank You Russell T. Davies! :mad:
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Third series of Tripods
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axing Brookside in 2003 and turning Hollyoaks into a teenage love fest, getting rid of most of the original cast around 2003 onwards. Used to watch it on Sundays in the Omnibus edition on Ch4, around 1997-2002, then it turned crap. Not a good move Phil Redmond! :mad:

I am looking forward to watching the Brookside Most Memorable Episodes 2 DVD set on 26th Nov. I've pre-ordered that with my local HMV store. I've paid in full. They do say that they are getting 4 copies in stock, and will put one back for me. :D
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brillopad wrote: »
    Showing Auntie having sex on the kitchen table - Doc Martin.

Yes, totally agree with this!

Another one is bringing back Tracy Barlow in Coronation St.!
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeltaBlues wrote: »

This. The "other three" were were favourite of the five, too!
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quizzimodo wrote: »
    Commissioning Bonekickers

casting McCoy as Dr Who

Taking no interest in cricket coverage &then crying foul when it moved to Sky after the Ashes triumph

You're kidding! It featured Carbon Dating in 20 seconds and the defeat of an evil villain with a rendition of Jerusalem. It was, without doubt, the most hilarious thing ever. :D

I still wince at my Sky Sports bill (I am a huge cricket fan) but at least Lord's aren't told to pack up at 6pm because Neighbours is on. Yes, this actually happened.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Especially Top of the Pops from the 60s. Some dummy wiped the lot. All they have is a fragment of about ten minutes of tape.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Axing Brookside in 2003 and turning Hollyoaks into a teenage love fest, getting rid of most of the original cast around 2003 onwards. Used to watch it on Sundays in the Omnibus edition on Ch4, around 1997-2002, then it turned crap. Not a good move Phil Redmond! :mad:

I am looking forward to watching the Brookside Most Memorable Episodes 2 DVD set on 26th Nov. I've pre-ordered that with my local HMV store. I've paid in full. They do say that they are getting 4 copies in stock, and will put one back for me. :D

I got mine yesterday, pre-ordered with PLAY.COM. You'll love it. Dean Sullivan gives descriptions before each episode and the 5 commentaries are good. Great memories of a great show. Axing Brookside was a criminal move by Channel 4, they never committed to it, instead of trying to help it they moved it all over the shot.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    For me personally it might Big Brother on Channel 4, for me it ruined Channel 4 and I've been disinclined to watch ever since; it also spawned many imitation shows.

Generally speaking it's the BBC's disastrous handling of Jimmy Savile.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    "Reality" TV.

Anything involving Simon Cowell.

ITV not showing Dexter after series two.

The Nick Griffin Question Time debacle.

Every single show about buying property which have served no other purpose than to encourage greedy bastards to become part time property developers and buy up all the cheap property and price first time buyers out of the market.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    The 1991/2 ITV franchise awards.

This lead to the merging of most of the regional ITV companies into one Carlton/ Granada controlled monolith... then...

In the mid -2000's, ITV deciding it only needed 3 shows to make a successful TV network.
    Coronation Street, Millionaire and X-Factor.

This led to complacency within the BBC, resulting in the mess we have today, and has opened up the doors for a lot of ex ITV people to move to SKY so that SKY ONE is now the vibrant commercial channel that ITV was in the 70's and '80's.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    This led to complacency within the BBC, resulting in the mess we have today, and has opened up the doors for a lot of ex ITV people to move to SKY so that SKY ONE is now the vibrant commercial channel that ITV was in the 70's and '80's.

:confused: The vast vast majority of the top bosses at Sky are ex BBC people not ITV. Stuart Murphy was the launch controller of BBC 3, Sophie Laing and Lucy Lumsden are also ex BBC.