Mobile Chargers to be Standardised (Finger to Apple)

flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
Forum Member
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/29/eu_moves_to_standardise_phone_chargers/

Although Apple, Nokia and RIM signed up to a voluntary agreement based on Micro-USB back in 2010, Cupertino never mentioned it to the design teams, preferring its own connectors...

... perhaps Cupertino's designers will take the hint and begin the thousands of hours' work trying to make sure that a generic interface can accurately reflect its brand values.

ETA more links
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/apple-to-drop-lightning-connector-as-standardised-phone-chargers-are-approved
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2438568/Apple-forced-ditch-latest-charger-EU-plans-create-universal-device-charges-ALL-phones.html

Comments

• kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/29/eu_moves_to_standardise_phone_chargers/

Although Apple, Nokia and RIM signed up to a voluntary agreement based on Micro-USB back in 2010, Cupertino never mentioned it to the design teams, preferring its own connectors...

... perhaps Cupertino's designers will take the hint and begin the thousands of hours' work trying to make sure that a generic interface can accurately reflect its brand values.

Not sure why it would take 1000s of hours? I can already use my apple charge to charge my samsung phone, although I cannot use my samsung charger on my iPad.

I wonder who got the design right:)
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Not sure why it would take 1000s of hours? I can already use my apple charge to charge my samsung phone, although I cannot use my samsung charger on my iPad.

i think El Reg are taking the piss. probably a misquotation of something apple have said in the passed.
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that aslong as the charger block has a USB port (like most now) it was deemed ok by the EU and you could use whichever cable connector you like.

i.e. you can plug in a usb -> micro usb cable into the apple charger and it is a microusb charger.

If not apple could just include a extra cable in the box to comply with the EU and still use their own cable.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    I was under the impression that aslong as the charger block has a USB port (like most now) it was deemed ok by the EU and you could use whichever cable connector you like.

i.e. you can plug in a usb -> micro usb cable into the apple charger and it is a microusb charger.

If not apple could just include a extra cable in the box to comply with the EU and still use their own cable.

It will probably end up having to include there micro USB to lighting connector as standard instead of the 15 pounds it costs you now.
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    microusb is so dodgy though, I have seen so many broken connectors in devices. Mini was much better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    It will probably end up having to include there micro USB to lighting connector as standard instead of the 15 pounds it costs you now.

Either that, or just a USB micro usb cable, which the consumer will pay for. Another big idea by the EU
    Forum Member

My reading is that the socket on the phone will have to be micro usb.
    Forum Member
    microusb is so dodgy though, I have seen so many broken connectors in devices. Mini was much better.

i agree mini felt a lot more solid.

betamax v VHS
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    interesting that the Note 3 has a USB3 port on it, can you connect a standard mini USB to that?
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either that, or just a USB micro usb cable, which the consumer will pay for. Another big idea by the EU

Out of curiosity I know O2 no longer sell chargers/cables with there devices does that include iPhones? If so that would suck for someone moving from android to iPhone.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Out of curiosity I know O2 no longer sell chargers/cables with there devices does that include iPhones? If so that would suck for someone moving from android to iPhone.

iphones include a cable and charger in the box.
    O2 have nothing to do with that.
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    interesting that the Note 3 has a USB3 port on it, can you connect a standard mini USB to that?

yeah. look at it. one half is just micro usb.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple will sue the EU :mad:
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Apple will sue the EU :mad:

:rolleyes: Yeah, ok, whatever
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    I like the lightning connector, I had so many problems with micro USB chargers I replaced my charger 3 times on my last phone, a blackberry.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I find most interesting about this proposed legislation is that it would ban custom firmware on Android devices (or any other OS).
    Radio equipment shall be so constructed that it complies with the following essential requirements:

(a) radio equipment interworks with accessories, and/or it interworks via networks with other radio equipment, and/or it can be connected to interfaces of the appropriate type throughout the Union;
    (b) radio equipment does not harm the network or its functioning nor misuse network resources, thereby causing an unacceptable degradation of service;
    (c) radio equipment incorporates safeguards to ensure that the personal data and privacy of the user and of the subscriber are protected;
    (d) radio equipment supports certain features ensuring avoidance of fraud;
    (e) radio equipment supports certain features ensuring access to emergency services;
    (f) radio equipment supports certain features in order to facilitate its use by users with a disability;
    EN19 EN
    (g) radio equipment supports certain features in order to ensure that software can only be loaded into the radio equipment where the compliance of the combination of software and the radio equipment has been demonstrated.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/registre/docs_autres_institutions/commission_europeenne/com/2012/0584/COM_COM(2012)0584_EN.pdf

So, manufacturers will have to lock their devices down to only allow certified official firmware.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

It's got nothing to do with who got it right. All samsung chargers will charge an ipad or any other device now.

It only doesn't work because you have an older charger design which has the cable attached to the charger. I've not seen one like that in a long time.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Roush wrote: »
    What I find most interesting about this proposed legislation is that it would ban custom firmware on Android devices (or any other OS).

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/registre/docs_autres_institutions/commission_europeenne/com/2012/0584/COM_COM(2012)0584_EN.pdf

So, manufacturers will have to lock their devices down to only allow certified official firmware.

Ouch!! :eek:

Can't see that lasting long!! Will be got around in no time i would imagine!
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member

Doesn't say anything of the sort just your interpretation of it
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Doesn't say anything of the sort just your interpretation of it

So what is your interpretation then? Those words seem quite clear to me.

If I've misunderstood them then I would welcome your insights.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never mind.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    So what is your interpretation then? Those words seem quite clear to me.

If I've misunderstood them then I would welcome your insights.

I would have to read the whole document or at least the relevant parts but that sub section make no reference to requiring the locking down of any phone. It merely states that the phone should only accept software that has demonstrated its compliance. I pretty much think that is all phones right now.
  • Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find micro USB annoying. I will often plug it in to charge my phone, not realising that it hasn't connected properly and finding a dead phone the next morning. I suppose that's what I get for trying to charge a GS3 with a Kindle charger but hey, micro USB is universal right? :rolleyes:

I never have problems with the non-standard Apple chargers, both the old dock connectors and lightning.

The lightning connector just seems a lot more robust, dare I say better, than the micro USB everyone else seems to love.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    It's got nothing to do with who got it right. All samsung chargers will charge an ipad or any other device now.

It only doesn't work because you have an older charger design which has the cable attached to the charger. I've not seen one like that in a long time.

The charger on my S3 mini which I bought 2 months ago has the cable attached.

It seems my comment about design has been answered, if you are telling me that Samsung have now changed theirs.