Options

Humax Foxsat HDR and Surround Sound

NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just joined the 21st century and bought Samsung HD TV + Home Cinema system. Was on CRT before this, so I'm new to this.

Surround sound is working with DVD. But when I switch from player mode to D.IN which I understand should give me the Humax I get "please connect audio cable" followed by "weak or no signal."

I do have an optical cable connected to the S/PDIF connection on the Humax.

The home cinema is Samsung HT D5100 and is connected to the HDMI ARC slot on the TV.

What am I missing?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a samsung too but with the tall boy speakers, it takes a long time for the audio to come through, about 10 seconds but i have no problems.

have you turned off the dolby in the options?

it should also auto switch the sound so the TV volume cuts off and the TV controls then control the samsung system.
  • Options
    stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delay on my Panny to Panny is about 3 seconds..

Stan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stanandjan wrote: »
    Delay on my Panny to Panny is about 3 seconds..

Stan

Its instant on the JVC system I have but I dont know why theres any delay when the box is sending the signal ll the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess you have HDMI from Humax to TV

Also optical cable from Humax to HT D5100

If so on the TV you need to select the HDMI input with Humax on.

Then for sound you need to select the correct input on the HT D5100.

Some TV's have an optical output.

If yes, it may be better to run the optical cable from TV optical output to HT D5100 optical input.
    OPTICAL : Connecting an External Digital Component
    Digital signal components such as a Cable Box/Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box).
    Connect the Digital Input (OPTICAL) on the product to the Digital Output of the external digital
    component.
    Press the FUNCTION button to select D.IN input.
    The mode switches as follows : BD/DVD D. IN AUX R. IPOD W. IPOD FM
    NOTE
    To see video from your Cable Box/Satellite receiver, you must connect it's video output to a TV.
    This system supports Digital sampling frequencies of 32 kHz of higher from external digital components. This system supports Digital sampling frequencies of 32 kHz of higher from external digital components.
    This system supports only DTS and Dolby Digital audio, MPEG audio which is bitstream cannot be supported.

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most TVs output in 2.0 which defeats the points of the 5.1 system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Automan wrote: »
    I guess you have HDMI from Humax to TV

Also optical cable from Humax to HT D5100

Yes.
    If so on the TV you need to select the HDMI input with Humax on.

Then for sound you need to select the correct input on the HT D5100.

What do you mean here? Do you mean pressing the function button to select D.IN?
    Some TV's have an optical output.

If yes, it may be better to run the optical cable from TV optical output to HT D5100 optical input.

I tried that. Still no result. Is there anything in the D5100 menu options I need to set?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, try a different cable, you probably have a broken box if that doesnt work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyer 10 wrote: »
    have you turned off the dolby in the options?

No, should I?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, should I?

On the humax press menu and select TV Setup menu and check the "Dolby Digital" option is on.

You may also need to make a Lip-Sync adjustment.

With my LG tv I need 200mSec (but i set it on my amp rather than on humax).

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, should I?

Look at the post above, thats the last option you have to do, if its still on then something is broken.

Its plug in and play, theres no messing about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Update

First, in my opening post the exact messages when switching from BD to D.IN are:

“Connect the optical cable from the product to an external device such as a cable box or satellite receiver”

followed by

“Weak or no signal, check the antenna cable connection”

Also I pulled out the optical cable from the D5100 and the end was glowing red. The Humax end wasn't though. Is this correct functioning? I've read elsewhere that only one end should be glowing red.

However, this is what I've discovered since:

If I switch on TV
    then switch on the D5100 and its last setting happens to be at D.IN
    then sound switches from TV speakers to D5100 speakers but only to the two front speakers and subwoofer (surround and centre speakers are silent save for faint hiss).

Presumably this is what I should expect with regular stereo TV broadcasts? With what TV content should I be expected to hear sound from the surround speakers? E.g., I started watching a bit of Luther last night. Would that have had surround sound?

With my old CRT TV which was also a surround sound system I found that most TV content could be heard through the surround speakers, e.g., even the BBC News soundtrack, even if presumably it wasn’t real surround.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True but some TVs include rear speakers, others attempt to create surround sound using fancy audio processing. Personally I prefer to pipe all my devices through my Onkyo amplifier (using it as an HDMI switch box in fact) but I wouldn't necessarily dismiss what the OP is trying to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update

First, in my opening post the exact messages when switching from BD to D.IN are:

“Connect the optical cable from the product to an external device such as a cable box or satellite receiver”

followed by

“Weak or no signal, check the antenna cable connection”

Also I pulled out the optical cable from the D5100 and the end was glowing red. The Humax end wasn't though. Is this correct functioning? I've read elsewhere that only one end should be glowing red.

It should be glowing red so it looks like the Humax is not putting out any sound at all through the optical.

You can set the Samsung to output via all speaking using "Matrix" which puts stereo to both front and rear or pro logic which is a fake kind of surround.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should be glowing red so it looks like the Humax is not putting out any sound at all through the optical.

You can set the Samsung to output via all speaking using "Matrix" which puts stereo to both front and rear or pro logic which is a fake kind of surround.

Reading the OP's post it looks as if he pulled out the toslink cable from the hdr end and expected it to glow red. It won't of course only if the cable is disconnected at the AV amp end.

Perhaps the kit won't accept AC3 in from external kit. The way to check is switch off DD in the hdr menus and see if he gets audio from the lpcm stereo output.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I couldn't find any settings for that. I'll investigate.

With my old CRT I think I had to set to Pro Logic to get the pseudo-surround.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading the OP's post it looks as if he pulled out the toslink cable from the hdr end and expected it to glow red. It won't of course only if the cable is disconnected at the AV amp end.

So red at AV amp end and nothing at Humax end is expected behaviour?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only an OUTPUT emits light. An INPUT detects light it does not emit any.

The socket on the Humax is an OUTPUT so it does emit light. Hence the glow at the end of the lead if only that end is connected.

The AV amp is an INPUT so does not emit any light hence no glow if only that end of the lead is connected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't find any settings for that. I'll investigate.

With my old CRT I think I had to set to Pro Logic to get the pseudo-surround.

Looking at the manual it would seem to have a ProLogic mode button on the remote.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/home-cinema/3d-blu-ray-home-cinema-systems/HT-D5100/XU/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

Do you have or did you try another optical cable?

One other thought is that the optical input on the Samsung may not work. Bugs in Samsung products are not unheard of :)

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, it should be the other way round.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it should be the other way round.

Think we are talking at cross purposes. If he disconnects the cable at the amp end it should glow red as you can see the red led transmitting the audio from the hdr. The OP mentions pro-logic which at a guess means the amp only works with lpcm audio. If correct turning off DD in the hdrs Settings/TV will give him lpcm stereo (plus prologic surround) from the HD channels using ac3 audio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I don't know whether this is as it should be but if not it's good enough for me.

Start with TV switched on and using TV speakers.
    Switch on home cinema with mode set to D.IN and Pro Logic. Then sound switches to home cinema speakers. Sound comes from all speakers as appropriate. This happens with or without the optical cable, so I've removed it.

With home cinema insert a Blu-Ray or DVD. Then TV source switches to home cinema setting.

To get back to TV use TV remote and press source button to switch to PVR. This causes home cinema to switch back to D.IN and home cinema speakers.

Switch off home cinema. Then TV uses TV speakers.