Options

Football Commentators Thread (Part 18)

Comments

• Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clever3000 wrote: »
    If it does turn out that Sky have definitely lost the La Liga rights, will it mean that Kevin Keatings will become one of the lead commentators on Channel 5's Football League coverage?

He'd probably could be anyway as he has covered plenty of 3pm Championship games while being on an evening Sky La Liga game on a Saturday.
  • Options
    cook0891cook0891 Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally off topic and I apologise but I had strangest dream ever last night...

When CL was on BT sky sports news totally ignored it existed and instead had a panel in discussing what was happening in the nights soaps instead!!!
  • Options
    clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    cook0891 wrote: »
    Totally off topic and I apologise but I had strangest dream ever last night...

When CL was on BT sky sports news totally ignored it existed and instead had a panel in discussing what was happening in the nights soaps instead!!!

They wont pay as much attention it this season that is for sure, they may mention the scores from time to time or if there is a major headline they will of course cover it. It will probably be very similar to the way they used to cover F1 before Sky had the rights, there was a passing mention and sometimes the result would appear but that was about it
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strictly speaking it will be possible for SSN to cover the Champions' League in the usual "Soccer Special" format. There's nothing to stop them having people in the studio watching BT's coverage and reporting on it. They did this with England games (watching ITV's coverage) before they picked up highlights rights to qualifiers.

Whether they'd want to do it is another question.
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine Sky will cover it similar to say how they would the FA Cup or World Cup.

Even though they don't have the rights to those two competitions, they certainly covered both a lot.

I can certainly see them mentioning it less maybe than in previous years but I can't see them just totally ignoring it and certainly I'd be expecting them to have something like the CL Final as a top story.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 3rd August - BT Sport Europe

2. Bundesliga
    RasenBallsport Leipzig v Greuther Furth - Tim Caple
  • Options
    Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BFGArmy wrote: »
    I'd imagine Sky will cover it similar to say how they would the FA Cup or World Cup.

Even though they don't have the rights to those two competitions, they certainly covered both a lot.

I can certainly see them mentioning it less maybe than in previous years but I can't see them just totally ignoring it and certainly I'd be expecting them to have something like the CL Final as a top story.

But it's hollow coverage as they don't get excited like they do for the games which Sky have the rights for. All they'll do is bang on in a subdued manner as to how the game is boring etc.
  • Options
    hard_to_beathard_to_beat Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve1977 wrote: »
    But it's hollow coverage as they don't get excited like they do for the games which Sky have the rights for. All they'll do is bang on in a subdued manner as to how the game is boring etc.

And how the Premier League is the competition that the clubs really want to win.

God forbid if Sky try to put up the sub again next season, I think that really would be the tipping point for a lot of people once you've had a season without CL.
  • Options
    Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky's coverage for Aston Villa-Man Utd a week on Friday (kick off at 7.45pm) is starting on SS1 at 6pm. Anyone want to suggest why?

This is the length of build up you'd expect for a CL Final, not a bog standard PL game, even if it is a Fri night. It's a long time to fill in so a MNF style set-up would be ideal, although presumably this was supposed to be the SNF game that weekend, so who knows!
  • Options
    MGBCTVMGBCTV Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit off topic maybe but as Sportscene is 40 years old, how was Scottish Football covered before hand. Was it just STV providing coverage, or was some kind of regional sports programme broadcast.
  • Options
    ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Igloo_Man wrote: »
    Sky's coverage for Aston Villa-Man Utd a week on Friday (kick off at 7.45pm) is starting on SS1 at 6pm. Anyone want to suggest why?

This is the length of build up you'd expect for a CL Final, not a bog standard PL game, even if it is a Fri night. It's a long time to fill in so a MNF style set-up would be ideal, although presumably this was supposed to be the SNF game that weekend, so who knows!

to counter the opening bundesliga live game on bt sport europe or is the game on sky1 for a teaser live game
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how the Premier League is the competition that the clubs really want to win.

God forbid if Sky try to put up the sub again next season, I think that really would be the tipping point for a lot of people once you've had a season without CL.

I'd expect there to be a price rise. Along side the "More PL games than ever before" tagline that gets wheeled out every 3 years.
  • Options
    djpowerdjpower Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFA Cup - Fox Sports 4
    Michael Zappone presenting with Mark Bosnich

Feature game Balmain Tigers vs Melbourne Victory
    commentary from Mike Cockerill and Robbie Slater with Tara Rushton reporting

Fox Sports have been streaming the other 3 games played on the night on their website and using that commentary on ingame highlights when a goal is scored but unfortunately I have no idea who the commentators are as they are not regular Fox Sports commentators but do have the following reporter covering the matches

Sydney United 58 FC vs South Hobart - Adam Peacock reporting
    Edgeworth FC vs Melbourne City - Glenn Lauder reporting
    Gungahlin United vs Sydney Olympic - Richard Bayliss reporting
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djpower wrote: »
    FFA Cup - Fox Sports 4
    Michael Zappone presenting with Mark Bosnich

Feature game Balmain Tigers vs Melbourne Victory
    commentary from Mike Cockerill and Robbie Slater with Tara Rushton reporting

Fox Sports have been streaming the other 3 games played on the night on their website and using that commentary on ingame highlights when a goal is scored but unfortunately I have no idea who the commentators are as they are not regular Fox Sports commentators but do have the following reporter covering the matches

Sydney United 58 FC vs South Hobart - Adam Peacock reporting
    Edgeworth FC vs Melbourne City - Glenn Lauder reporting
    Gungahlin United vs Sydney Olympic - Richard Bayliss reporting

we get the feature game on BT Sport..
    i watched last weeks game, what went to pens, and i do like when the trumpet blows for a goal in another match...
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    I think Hoddle and Ferdinand are good signings for BT. Darren Fletcher tweeted that Fletch and Sav will have Ferdinand, Hoddle, Owen, Ian Wright, Harry Redknapp and Howard Webb on next Saturday so I guess that will form the core of the team, though you'd maybe expect Paul Scholes and particularly Steve McManaman to be part of the match coverage broadcast

Ooh, there's a thing, Steve McManaman seems to be rather conspicuous by his absence on BT at the moment. I'm not sure he's even in the advert, is he? He certainly isn't in the advert in the papers where the pundits featured are Gerrard, Scholes, Hoddle and Ferdinand. I know the ad is for the Champions League but you would assume the pundits are going to work across all their football, and given McManaman has been more or less their senior pundit for the last two years, and last season always turned up on Fletch and Sav to do his predictions, that seems a bit of a turnaround.
    clever3000 wrote: »
    If it does turn out that Sky have definitely lost the La Liga rights, will it mean that Kevin Keatings will become one of the lead commentators on Channel 5's Football League coverage?

There's nothing to say that many of the people who have been doing the Spanish football for Sky won't go over to BT and do it there, if BT want them and they think BT are giving them a better offer. They're all freelancers who will go where the work is, whether that's BT or Channel 5 or somewhere else on Sky.
    MGBCTV wrote: »
    Bit off topic maybe but as Sportscene is 40 years old, how was Scottish Football covered before hand. Was it just STV providing coverage, or was some kind of regional sports programme broadcast.

This is from the perspective of someone who's never lived in Scotland but the fortieth anniversary is not a massively important anniversary because in 1975 it was simply a rebranding of an earlier show called Sportsreel which was pretty much the same thing. According to an article on Sportscene in the 1979 Match of the Day Annual (which also points out Archie Macpherson is "a man with hair resembling rusty steel wool"), Sportsreel began in 1958. Although of course for many years, Sportscene, like Scotsport on STV, didn't just feature football but bits of other sports as well.

Like in England in the seventies and eighties, the BBC and ITV shared the rights in Scotland, with the Beeb showing highlights of a match on Saturday night and ITV another on Sunday afternoon, but unlike in England when that ended in 1988, the two channels shared the rights for much longer in Scotland, I think until around the turn of the century. Scottish posters on this thread will probably be more clued up.

Yes, I noticed that today, quite bizarre, you don't get that for any other midweek game. It also means The Fantasy Football Club is at 5pm which hardly seems worth the bother. It says much about how the Premier League dominates that a bog-standard match like that can get over a hundred minutes' build-up but Preston vs Middlesbrough on Sunday gets five minutes' build-up.

Incidentally, for those chuckling at Sky Sports 5 no longer showing European football, you may note BT Sport Europe showing a U21 Premier League match on Sunday.
  • Options
    digiremotedigiremote Posts: 3,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Audi Cup 2015 - Premier Sports

Real Madrid v Tottenham Hotspur - Paul Dempsey and Gary Breen
    Bayern Munich v AC Milan - Will Downing and Brian Little
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know but suspect it's most likely that a large part of the time will be filled up with a preview of all the PL games across the whole weekend.

On the Sky results presentation Darroch said something along the lines of "a new appointment to view Friday night programme" (referring to PL and the new rights contract next season).

NB. It was only one brief sentence, I didn't take it down word for word but I think the above was broadly it.

Now presumably he is only referring to the 10 Friday night games but I guess it's also possible they could have a programme every Friday night whether or not they have a game.

If they are planning such a programme maybe they are using this as a dry-run to test it out?

All just speculation - who knows - but it certainly seems quite likely that they may want to do something in 2016/17 to make a noise about the new Friday PL slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Now presumably he is only referring to the 10 Friday night games but I guess it's also possible they could have a programme every Friday night whether or not they have a game.

If they are planning such a programme maybe they are using this as a dry-run to test it out?

Well, with all due respect, even if they are, they don't need to do it on air, a year in advance, do they? They can do a pilot off air, it doesn't seem a massively ambitious concept that requires a year of fine tuning.

They already have a show doing more or less that in the shape of The Fantasy Football Club in any case.
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah mlt11's reasoning seems good to me. I'd like to see a preview/Football Focus type show when they get the Friday night rights and I guess if they happen to have a Friday night game they might as well try whatever it is they'll be doing and see how it goes. I see SNF starts at 5 on Saturday instead of 4.45.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Friday Football Show on Setanta used to be excellent as a weekend preview. Having it as a permanent fixture, with a live game as and when, would be very welcome - depending on the format, natch.

Similarly, having Monday Night Football every week, game or not, would work well as a review programme.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, with all due respect, even if they are, they don't need to do it on air, a year in advance, do they? They can do a pilot off air, it doesn't seem a massively ambitious concept that requires a year of fine tuning.

I didn't say they needed to do it! Nor that they should do it! And I'm sure they could do a pilot off air!

I was merely attempting to make an educated guess as to what they might do given the comments made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    Yeah mlt11's reasoning seems good to me. I'd like to see a preview/Football Focus type show when they get the Friday night rights and I guess if they happen to have a Friday night game they might as well try whatever it is they'll be doing and see how it goes. I see SNF starts at 5 on Saturday instead of 4.45.

I don't know if that 5pm start is going to be a regular thing, the rugby league is on this week with a 3pm kick-off, but I never thought we gained anything from starting at 4.45 anyway. 5pm is the very earliest you should be starting on Saturday, before that we're more interested in the 3pm games.
    mlt11 wrote: »
    I didn't say they needed to do it! Nor that they should do it! And I'm sure they could do a pilot off air!

I was merely attempting to make an educated guess as to what they might do given the comments made.

I know, I was being a bit flippant, really. There's no doubt they'll presumably want to brand their Friday night games under a specific banner, and there probably is a space for a preview of the weekend's games. But I'm sure it has nothing to do with the 6pm start next Friday. I don't know what they're going to do on it.
This discussion has been closed.