I couldnt tell what the call centre worker was saying

ackeracker Posts: 8,809
Forum Member
Earlier I got put through to a call centre by my broadband provider and like I say I honestly couldnt tell what they were saying. In the end I actually had to tell them this , it was really embarrassing has anybody else had this and did it make you feel bad cos it did me ?....And no im not racist and no im not trolling .

Comments

• Skysurfer2000Skysurfer2000 Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it Combat18 Day or sumfin?
  • ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Is it Combat18 Day or sumfin?

Never I hope ....honestly .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK call centre workers seem worse than the Indian ones to me, at least the Indians have made an effort to learn English.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it has and it doesnt have to be embarrassing.

I work in a call centre and sometimes can't understand my callers.

You just say, Im sorry I cant understand you as politely as possible -
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    It's not only foreign people but different uk accents that i can't hear what they are saying properly.
  • ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Yes it has and it doesnt have to be embarrassing.

I work in a call centre and sometimes can't understand my callers.

You just say, Im sorry I cant understand you as politely as possible -

Yes thats what I did but it still kind of made me feel bad somehow.
  • Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just accents. A lot of them are using cheap voip lines, so voice quality goes out of the window.
  • FERAL SHARKEYFERAL SHARKEY Posts: 3,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a similar situation meticulously explained -

And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.

perhaps everyone could think about that ?
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.

:cool: Indeed.A good heart these days,is hard to find.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Patience, empathy, honesty and sincerity. Essential elements for a happier world!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »

I hear a lot of stories, I suppose they could be true .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patience, empathy, honesty and sincerity. Essential elements for a happier world!

and nobody can ever take them from you or ask for payment for them .

we depend highly on manic superficial greed these days .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see how we can complain about a different accent when some southerners finds it hard to understand some northerner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear a lot of stories, I suppose they could be true .

:D HeHe!.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, here's a true one.

A few years ago now, my mother phoned Directory Enquiries and asked for the number of the RSPCA...

A Mumbai accent asked "how do you spell that?"

:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »

True love, the lasting kind? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geordiesi wrote: »
    True love, the lasting kind? ;)

:D That's the one.
    Wish i were like my perfect cousin. That's what he's got.What i like to do he doesn't.:(
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't help that often there is a lot of background noise from other call centre workers. I'm dealing with one chap in Chennai at the moment who works in a big open office. He tends to mumble his English as well as having quite a heavy accent and I'm always having to tell him to speak up. I guess it's a toss up between possibly offending someone and getting an issue resolved.
  • Duke of EarlDuke of Earl Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they ring me (you can tell by the pause while the system connects) I just put the phone down. If someone wants to speak to me, they can ring properly and say hello. I'm not hanging on for a computer.
  • Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whip wrote: »
    UK call centre workers seem worse than the Indian ones to me, at least the Indians have made an effort to learn English.

Not the ones Virgin Media use, that's why I'm pleased when I finally get through to the Edinburgh call centre or such like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    least the English call centre workers wouldnt put the phone down when requested to speak to a manager
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    My policy now is pretty simple. If someone phones me and I can't understand them because of accent, line quality or background noise then I put the phone down on them. If I have to phone a call centre for any reason and I get put through to India then I will move my custom somewhere else if I can. It has absolutely nothing to do with racism, it's because I don't agree with jobs being moved abroad that could be done here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    least the English call centre workers wouldnt put the phone down when requested to speak to a manager

You have got to be joking if you ask for a manager the person you end up talking to is the guy sat next to the guy you were talking to.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As sexy as I find them, I also find broad Northern and Scottish accents often more difficult to decipher than the accents of workers in Indian call centres (who I've had no bad experiences with yet).
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whip wrote: »
    You have got to be joking if you ask for a manager the person you end up talking to is the guy sat next to the guy you were talking to.

More likely, you are mysteriously cut off!.