Options

Hollyoaks - losing the will to stick with it

Comments

• Options
    andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
    Forum Member
    Ratings this week have been poor, i don't think it's got above 1.3m this week and usually the early part of the week enjoys up to 1.5m, but it's not managed it this week.

I don't know what can be done, it's really in a bad situation.

Maybe more announcements from HO HQ abut what things PM is doing might help, but so far all we have had still is the ashowrths announcement, the rodction team changes announcement and the news about Sheree joining. I know for a fact theres far more going on, so i idon't know why more announcements are coming already.
  • Options
    oilcatoilcat Posts: 27,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think that they need a cull, too many characters meaning storylines are spread out and major characters vanish for weeks on end, when was the last time Cheryl was in the show?, sadly Zoe and Hannah leaving didnt help things as they were two of the better characters

The ones personally i would bin............

Dave, India, Charlotte, Elliot, Duncan, Ricky, Archie
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there has been zero promotion of this storyline, but the show is kind of stuck in no-mans land for the next few months as they've basically committed too finishing off the storylines introduced under Lucy Allan's watch and characters can't just come in and leave overnight. (as a side not worth noting all soap ratings have collapsed in the last couple of weeks - EE and Corrie have gone from 10m+ for the first few weeks to around 8-9m the last couple of weeks)

Come the autumn at the absolute latest though they need a much publicised highly visible revamp, but I guess even with Kirkwood figures didn't rise miraculously overnight - they just grew and grew with the storylines on offer.

In other news Stephanie Warring is pregnant so that means we'll probably lose Cindy for six months or so.
  • Options
    surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    In other news Stephanie Warring is pregnant so that means we'll probably lose Cindy for six months or so.

They might actually write that in. It's plausible as given the stress Cindy is under at the moment she may believe that if she misses a few periods it's down to that only to discover she is pregnant

With regards though to Hollyoaks future under Paul Marquess then his task will be not to let ratings slip further over the Summertime as if Hollyoaks hasn't a sponor by then the future doesn't look good at all long term.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I noticed the other night that there is no sponser..not looking good is it? Shame. I like Hollyoaks. I think this missing Holly storyline is good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I used to really like Hollyoaks but with their recent storylines I have really gone off it and try to find something else to watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks like Gerard McCarthy is on his way.....Apparently gonna be in the West End version of Flashdance towards the end of the year. It's not confirmed, but the way Hollyoaks declined to comment rather than saying it's untrue and Gerard is commited to the show, i think it say it all. Maybe Kris will be Calvins killer then
  • Options
    joolzjoolz Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy614 wrote: »
    Looks like Gerard McCarthy is on his way.....Apparently gonna be in the West End version of Flashdance towards the end of the year. It's not confirmed, but the way a Hollyoaks declined to comment rather than saying it's untrue and Gerard is commited to the show, i think it say it all. Maybe Kris will be Calvins killer then

Well if that's true, good luck to him. He's a talented boy who had a career pre-Hollyoaks and is one of the few who have a good chance of a career post-Hollyoaks. Shame though, because I enjoy watching him on screen and love his scenes with Nancy and would have liked the relationship to have continued
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks like Gerard McCarthy is on his way.....Apparently gonna be in the West End version of Flashdance towards the end of the year. It's not confirmed, but the way Hollyoaks declined to comment rather than saying it's untrue and Gerard is commited to the show, i think it say it all. Maybe Kris will be Calvins killer then

Gerard only signed last year for another 12 months anyhow, so would have left anyhow unless he was offered a new contract. However don't forget Glen Wallace's contract is up this month as well, and Malachy has an even bigger reason to want to bump off Calvin.

On another note Jem is a step in the right direction as she is a new character that actually has a personality. In someways I wish she had been around when the role of India was cast as she would have made a better India than Beth Kingston.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    surfie wrote: »
    Gerard only signed last year for another 12 months anyhow, so would have left anyhow unless he was offered a new contract. However don't forget Glen Wallace's contract is up this month as well, and Malachy has an even bigger reason to want to bump off Calvin.

On another note Jem is a step in the right direction as she is a new character that actually has a personality. In someways I wish she had been around when the role of India was cast as she would have made a better India than Beth Kingston.

I can't say i was all that impressed with Helen Russell Clarke, she was OK in tonights scenes, but i've seen her in all next weeks previews and she shows off a slightly poorer side to he ability in some of those scenes imo. We will see, but i can tell instantly she's not amazing. Not a disaster, but not up there with the better actresses in the show. The actual character seems quite good though.

As for Gerard/Glen, the article says Gerard wouldn't stop filming for another few months, but if Glens stops this month, i must say that it does tie in with Mal possibly being the killer, becuase all that is being filmed this month. He could have been given a new contract though for all we know, they aren't going to announce such a thing.
  • Options
    joolzjoolz Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say i was all that impressed with Helen Russell Clarke, she was OK in tonights scenes, but i've seen her in all next weeks previews and she shows off a slightly poorer side to he ability in some of those scenes imo. We will see, but i can tell instantly she's not amazing. Not a disaster, but not up there with the better actresses in the show. The actual character seems quite good though.

No, I wasnt impressed either, very boring actress so far
  • Options
    flbkabflbkab Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Sorry if Im missing something really obvious but Why exactly do Hollyoaks need a sponser? How would not having one affect the show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sponsorship brings in extra money - simple.

Wouldn't be surprised if Gerard left - always got the impression when he signed up last time it would be the final time anyway, and frankly as much as an asset as he is, the show is in a state now where nobody is off limits IMO and people need to be going to let new blood in. On the other hand Hollyoaks have been very good to Gerard in letting him go off and do other projects, so always possible he does a stint in the West End then returns.

Reports today that Ricky Whittle leaves at the end of the month, which would suggest his last scenes would be around mid-May. Back to what's on screen now and Gilly proving he shouldn't have been written back in - but Jem seems a good new addition. The students are also improving acting wise, but character wise now it's certainly better to start afresh come September.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flbkab wrote: »
    Sorry if Im missing something really obvious but Why exactly do Hollyoaks need a sponser? How would not having one affect the show?

Financial reasons. Sponsors pay a lot to be promoted at the start/end of each episode, plus the break in the middle. Falling viewing figures (= lower ad revenue) and no sponsor is not a great sign for any programme.
  • Options
    flbkabflbkab Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Financial reasons. Sponsors pay a lot to be promoted at the start/end of each episode, plus the break in the middle. Falling viewing figures (= lower ad revenue) and no sponsor is not a great sign for any programme.

Thanks for explaining :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure it will get a new sponser soon, i can't see it failing to get one completely, it will sooner or later. Hollyoaks still has the ideal audience for confectionary and drinks companies to be interested as well as phone networks ect ect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Hollyoaks and I'm looking forward to how the Ricky being a teen carer storyline pans out - I think it's a real issue in today's society and it'll be nice to see it pan out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure it will get a new sponser soon, i can't see it failing to get one completely, it will sooner or later. Hollyoaks still has the ideal audience for confectionary and drinks companies to be interested as well as phone networks ect ect.

According to the Channel 4 website section that deals with sponsorship they only are looking for someone to sponsor Hollyoaks until the end of the year. However Wrigleys was a year by year sponsorship. What is odd is that Channel 4 do not seem to be going out of their way to attract new sponsors by courting them to sponsor Hollyoaks. .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    I guess I am writing this as a former massive fan of Hollyoaks, through the whole JP and craig thing and that whole era I was the biggest fans watching it on E4 and getting so excited about upcoming plots

Now...I just don't know I have watched a few episodes but I feel so alientated by what HO seems to become, absolute and actual rubbish...no characterisation that a viewer can relate to and so many new but pointless characters

I wish there was a BSA for best single episode because Sarah Barnes' death was so haunting but everything else in thid "soap" is just farcical
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    surfie wrote: »
    They might actually write that in. It's plausible as given the stress Cindy is under at the moment she may believe that if she misses a few periods it's down to that only to discover she is pregnant

With regards though to Hollyoaks future under Paul Marquess then his task will be not to let ratings slip further over the Summertime as if Hollyoaks hasn't a sponor by then the future doesn't look good at all long term.
    would have thought Cindy would be too annoyed with Tony to want to share a bed with him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    essexpete wrote: »
    would have thought Cindy would be too annoyed with Tony to want to share a bed with him

She might be now but it has only been a relatively short time she has been annoyed with him..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish there was a BSA for best single episode because Sarah Barnes' death was so haunting but everything else in thid "soap" is just farcical

There is, though I don't think I'd agree with your choice of episode. I'd go for the graduation episode myself, but I suspect they'll put the flashforward one forward. I'd imagine EastEnders Live will take that one though.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame they don't have "worst single episode", the teens GCSE results episode would easily win that. Everytime I hear Journey - Don't Stop Beliving which seems to be everywhere at the moment, I can't help but think of that dreadful episode.

Is the skydive nominated for a BSA? It definitely deserves something as that was a remarkable scene.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't realise that it featured in that episode too - and to be fair, before everyone else started using it. Loved that song six months ago, even three months ago. Absolutely sick of it now!
  • Options
    MuteBananaMuteBanana Posts: 3,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Reports today that Ricky Whittle leaves at the end of the month, which would suggest his last scenes would be around mid-May.

Erm, yes, flash forward?
This discussion has been closed.