Has your local WHSmith stopped stocking CD's/DVD's?

Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,902
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've noticed recently that some branches of WHSmith have stopped stocking CD's and DVD's, including two stores in London's Stratford area.

My local store in South London still stocks DVD's, but does it in such an archaic way by having the DVD's behind the counter which then becomes an issue when a member of staff isn't on the first floor to be able to give you the DVD, yet those stores that do stock DVD's are normally at least £2.01 cheaper than HMV.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local steels a few but they are right at the back of the store and they never have any new realises.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't been in mine for months but last time I did there were only about 10 in there. :confused:
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why bother with the stores when anything they sell is sold cheaper on their website?!!

Not to mention it gets delivered to your door saving the hassle of car parking fees or catching a bus!
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Why bother with the stores when anything they sell is sold cheaper on their website?!!

Not to mention it gets delivered to your door saving the hassle of car parking fees or catching a bus!

I can't see CD's or DVD's on WHSmith's website and they charge for delivery on orders under £15.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    My local one stopped years ago. During the past couple of weeks, they have this rather pathetic looking tiny and tall cardboard shelf unit put up with about ten DVDs in it.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno, I only go in the read the magazines for free.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    The one in the manchester arndale centre seemes to have given up on the PC software line. What little PC software the do have is is mostly pointy-clicky adventures or Focus software and their selction hasn't changed for over a year.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went in a couple of weeks ago, and they still had DVDs and CDs, but nowhere near as many as they used to. :mad:
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local one stopped ages ago. They were just as expensive if not more so than Zavvi when it was still around. Now they occasionally have like another poster has said, a cardboard stand with a few boring DVDs on
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    WHSmith sold DVDs and CDs?
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't been in my local store for over a year.
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    I find it amazing whs haven't closed down.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some time ago, yes.

You can buy blank discs (and even VHS tape).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the prices they used to charge I'm not surprised. They were always even more expensive than places like HMV.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I find it amazing whs haven't closed down.

Old people keep it going. The queues are monstrous.

Post offices also keep it going. If they closed WHSMITH in my town, we would not have a post office.