Fringe Finale Discussion Thread (saturday 19th January) 1:10am Sky One

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    storm818 wrote: »
    Think again.

He walked off the train, so he could get captured and Olivia would have to have cotexrophane (however you spell it) injected in her which she needed for the final showdown with Windmark.

That was an anti climax.

The whole city goes dark but all she does is move a car. :eek:

And are we really supposed to believe Windmark couldn't teleport out of its way.
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think again.

He walked off the train, so he could get captured and Olivia would have to have cotexrophane (however you spell it) injected in her which she needed for the final showdown with Windmark.

Which was so awesome!

And even though I kinda wish the others could remember, the events of Season 5 still happened since Walter crossed over with Michael, so at least the whole season wasn't rendered pointless. I have a feeling that Peter may have remembered what happened in 2036 and his reaction was his realisation of what happened to Walter.
  • storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe all the cynics on here complaining, jesus christ get a life and stop trying to pick holes. Fringe gave us 100 of the best episodes ever seen on TV and all you can do is sit there and complain, good grief.

I loved the finale, was everything it needed to be:

1.) Loved the return of Alt Olivia, Lincoln, Broyles, even the cow in the lab.

2.) Loved the use of the past Fringe experiments to kill the Observers

3.) "You are my very favourite thing Peter" and "It's a beautiful name, Astrid" were both tear jerkers and summed Walter up beautifully

4.) I'm glad they Walter went in with Michael rather than September which wouldn't have been as effective or symbolic. Walter created the rift between the dimensions to save his son and he ended up sacrificing himself to save the world. Brilliant.

5.) The season started with the park scene and ended with the park scene, nothing more fitting than that

J.J Abrams is a genius, looking forward to the Revolution!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was an anti climax.

The whole city goes dark but all she does is move a car. :eek:

And are we really supposed to believe Windmark couldn't teleport out of its way.

He tried and he was too slow, believe what you like.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe all the cynics on here complaining, jesus christ get a life and stop trying to pick holes. Fringe gave us 100 of the best episodes ever seen on TV and all you can do is sit there and complain, good grief.

I loved the finale, was everything it needed to be:

1.) Loved the return of Alt Olivia, Lincoln, Broyles, even the cow in the lab.

2.) Loved the use of the past Fringe experiments to kill the Observers

3.) "You are my very favourite thing Peter" and "It's a beautiful name, Astrid" were both tear jerkers and summed Walter up beautifully

4.) I'm glad they Walter went in with Michael rather than September which wouldn't have been as effective or symbolic. Walter created the rift between the dimensions to save his son and he ended up sacrificing himself to save the world. Brilliant.

5.) The season started with the park scene and ended with the park scene, nothing more fitting than that

Some people are easily pleased, others are not so easily pleased.

Revolution has been put on a three month hiatus and has had it's 1st season episode numbers cut - that doesn't sound good for long term survival.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people are easily pleased, others are not so easily pleased.

Revolution has been put on a three month hiatus and has had it's 1st season episode numbers cut - that doesn't sound good for long term survival.

Some people enjoy the show for the emotion and drama it displays, others like to sit there, pick holes and demand more.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it. :) The scene between Walter and Astrid almost had me in tears. :o

I loved all of the callbacks to earlier seasons, a good finale should make you feel nostalgic! :)

I would have liked a last appearance of William Bell and Nina Sharp, but that wasn't to be I suppose. I assume Nina's alive again, though?
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was she not using he powers to hold him in place?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Was she not using he powers to hold him in place?

I didn't see evidence of that, but it would be a better explanation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people enjoy the show for the emotion and drama it displays, others like to sit there, pick holes and demand more.

Yes - why is that a problem?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - why is that a problem?

Not for me, I enjoyed the show but would suck to be someone who can't just enjoy something for what it is and ends up feeling cheated for some warped reason.

Anyhow, each to their own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not for me, I enjoyed the show but would suck to be someone who can't just enjoy something for what it is and ends up feeling cheated for some warped reason.

Anyhow, each to their own.

Yes, each to their own. I am glad you really enjoyed it, I mostly did too.

In my case it was good but S2 & 3 were brilliant so, for me, compared to them it was a lesser programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member

Don't get your hopes up for Revolution, I've seen the first ten episodes and after a promising pilot episode it falls off a cliff quality wise. It's terrible, and hugely repetitive. I won't be watching it when it returns in 2 months.

It's all well and good having emotion and good acting, but the storyline during season 5 was very weak compared to the previous seasons (well, seasons 1-3 anyway, the rot set in with season 4 IMO) and a big missed opportunity. Fair enough if you enjoyed it (I'm glad you did), but there's no need to get angry at people who feel differently. Our negative opinion on the final season is just as relevant as yours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, each to their own. I am glad you really enjoyed it, I mostly did too.

In my case it was good but S2 & 3 were brilliant so, for me, compared to them it was a lesser programme.

Absolutely the series as a whole wasn't as good, it went against all the previous series of weird new experiments in each episode. But the finale, as finale's go was excellent.
  • susan24susan24 Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved this finale. Walter redeemed himself which was good and it was great to see the altuniverse again. But, how sad for Peter and Astrid in a world without Walter. And poor Walter all alone ...

I'm going to miss this show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm can't decide what to make of that! It was pretty obvious how it would all pan out, and I did enjoy it. I just think the whole storyline of the last season was wrong, and I missed the brilliance of S2 and 3.

We are lucky it got a proper ending and it had lots of good moments so can't really complain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes up for Revolution, I've seen the first ten episodes and after a promising pilot episode it falls off a cliff quality wise. It's terrible, and hugely repetitive. I won't be watching it when it returns in 2 months.

It's all well and good having emotion and good acting, but the storyline during season 5 was very weak compared to the previous seasons (well, seasons 1-3 anyway, the rot set in with season 4 IMO) and a big missed opportunity. Fair enough if you enjoyed it (I'm glad you did), but there's no need to get angry at people who feel differently. Our negative opinion on the final season is just as relevant as yours.

I'm not referring to the final season, just the finale.

I agree season 5 wasn't as good as previous seasons, it was never going to be after once they changed the format.

Not angry either, just bewildered at the criticism of the finale from "fans"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susan24 wrote: »
    Loved this finale. Walter redeemed himself which was good and it was great to see the altuniverse again. But, how sad for Peter and Astrid in a world without Walter. And poor Walter all alone ...

I'm going to miss this show.

Walter would be alright, he had spent a lot of time alone and 17 years in a mental institution would be worse I bet.

I think he, as a scientist, would be having a great time with the technology of 2167. Just think of the damage he could do :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not referring to the final season, just the finale.

I agree season 5 wasn't as good as previous seasons, it was never going to be after once they changed the format.

Not angry either, just bewildered at the criticism of the finale from "fans"

I find it interesting that some of the cast have now come out and criticised S4 - see the link below:

http://blastr.com/2013/01/fringe-cast-breaks-down-t.php

I wonder if we will get to hear their thoughts on S5 at some future time. I read the link below before I watched the finale so I kind of knew in general terms how he was going to end it:

http://blastr.com/2013/01/goodbye-fringe-jh-wyman-l.php
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    I think the main problem was the writers only had 13 episodes to tie up everything; the finale was good but underwhelming imo. I actually thought Lost's finale was much better.

There was nice closure such as Peter calling him dad at the end, it something I think many fans have waited for over the seasons.

I enjoyed it while lasted but won't miss the show, I will, however, check out Revolution when it airs.
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm interested to see if it continues in some form in the future. I wouldn't mind a movie, as long as they take their time and write something really good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I'm all for 'We're all different'.

The reason I worry that people will accept substandard writing and shows is that we will keep getting them.

People accepted Lost's ending and now we have a similar one with Fringe.

Then we had shows like The Event and Alcatraz, which tried to get away with poor writing but thankfully were found out early enough.

It seems that from season 4 the producers traded on the audiences loyalty for poor writing.

Shame on them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the main problem was the writers only had 13 episodes to tie up everything; the finale was good but underwhelming imo. I actually thought Lost's finale was much better.

They didn't need 13 episodes, they could have done the whole season in the last 2 episodes.

It was basically, find out where item is, break in, get caught, break out again, etc etc for the first 11 episodes.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    Ah but if Olivia hadn' t had the injections to get him back then she wouldn't have had the powers to give Widmark the smacking he so richly deserved at the end.

That's true.
    Think again.

Think again. Half a season ago, they had the wormhole things in their possession. Or at least the resistance did.

They could have fulfilled the plan without having to confront Windmark at all.

I mean, my main problem with the final episodes was everything was so mechanical. Michael gets off the train for absolutely no conceivable reason than to move the plot in the right direction. You could see the mechanics of how the plot was constructed, and this moves here and this moves there.

I don't like to pick holes but when the plot is so transparent and the finale is literally going through the motions I can't help feeling disappointed.

Walter telling Astrid she had a beautiful name was the most emotional scene to me. Out of all the main characters in the show, it was actually Jasika Nicole who can move me to tears with her crying. :D She did the same last season when she had the scene with her doppelgänger talking about her father. Great actress.

The "greatest hits" of Fringe cases being unleashed on the Observers was brilliant and I enjoyed the symmetry of Fringe beginning with Walter taking a little boy through a portal and ending with him taking another little boy through a portal.

The picnic "all is well" ending though felt very un-Fringe to me. That was my main issue it didn't feel like Fringe. Without the white tulip it would have been pretty random.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would September still be dead after the reset?