Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    aggs wrote: »
    I would love to see the actual notes for the brief the Chefs were given.

For so many to have completely the mark I can only think it must have been very ambiguous when written down :confused:

The recent series have all required the chefs to do more than just present a restaurant-style dish. There's been a theme, so the dishes had to relate to that theme.

This year's banquet is for Comic Relief. Nothing more really needs to be said!

If a bunch of junior school kids were asked to make biscuits for Comic Relief, they'd at least cut them into funny shapes or put funny faces on them. You wouldn't have to explain it to them, and I guarantee that none of them would say "Oh, the comic bit is that they taste nice" or "We have these when we go on a picnic"!

Daniel summed it up perfectly today. "Putting a few tomatoes on the dish. Is that humour, or is that laziness?"

No need to answer that one! :D
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The brief last year was missed more than it was hit, though - pushing boundaries to some chefs meant using a microwave :D - and the street party one was a brow furrower.

The fact that a couple of the Chef-Judges have struggled with the concept and at least one Chef per region has used the food that makes you smile clause does make me suspect the written remit was fairly broad and quite open.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Groundhog wrote: »
    They obviously film the 3 chefs doing all their courses in one day and then the final two come back the next day for the judges. So two days of filming. Every now and again there is a slip of the tongue that gives this away.

I THINK from memory they do starter and fish one day, main and desert day two and then all four courses for the judges (if applicable!) on day three. So there was no time really to make a change between starter and fish. Again from memory, the regional heats were filmed around mid October (Scotland was anyway) and the banquet was filmed on 25th Feb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adore Marcus as a judge.

But then I love his big smile and those eyes and that beard and...oh my...going to have to lie down.

Can't believe he trotted out a 10!!!
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least Marcus is focusing on the brief and on what is funny and what is not so hes doing his job properly.

I think Will has already ruled himself out by pretty much ignoring the brief completely. Daniel is a shue in. I'm not his greatest fan but he works hard to both nail the brief and produce great food, you have to credit him for that.
  • poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three Mile Isles Floatant ;)

Starter

Balsamic and olive oil floating on a saline broth laced with seaweed and with confit seagull as a humerous recreation of the BP spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Main

A variation on Hestons seashore dish where diners are given a large jug of water to throw over the plate as a laugh a minute recreation of the Tsunami.

Dessert

2 tall vertical stacks of millefeuill topped with spun sugar arials and just as the diners tuck in radio controlled model planes fly into them , destroying the dessert in a rib tickling homage to the twin towers terrorist attack.

That menu would surely have them rolling in the aisles!:eek:

This series is so contrived and farcical. All these chefs take food and their cookery very seriously and quite a few seem to have had humour bypasses carried out. Putting a red nose on a dish does not make it funny!

Those that have attempted to follow the brief seem to have been marked down in favour of "top" chefs who just cook what they normally do.
  • Gondolin GirlGondolin Girl Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh tiny little red tomatoes, hahaha. :rolleyes:

Don't post in this thread often, but I read it every day, and it really makes me laugh... unlike some chefs I could name...:D

I've been finding myself shouting at the screen whenever a chef says anything like "surprise and delight" or "flavour combinations that will make you smile". Argh!!! Putting nice ingredients on a plate will NOT make me laugh. Don't any of these chefs have an imagination? :mad:
  • BubblegumsBubblegums Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Ooh tiny little red tomatoes, hahaha. :rolleyes:

Don't post in this thread often, but I read it every day, and it really makes me laugh... unlike some chefs I could name...:D

I've been finding myself shouting at the screen whenever a chef says anything like "surprise and delight" or "flavour combinations that will make you smile". Argh!!! Putting nice ingredients on a plate will NOT make me laugh. Don't any of these chefs have an imagination? :mad:

I liked that too
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    I'm melting....! That puppet show excruciated!
    It's horrifying
    The wife and I are normally busy with the kids when TGBM is on so we record it and watch it later. Doing so also lets us fast forward through the awful Chefs-at-Play section. As soon as one stops cooking, straightens up and announces "I had a really time the other day..." we hit the button. We did the same last year when they sought to learn how to make the perfect fish course by talking to a cyclist.

However as we were all snowed in yesterday our schedule was thrown out and we got to watch it live. When we jumped for the remote and found we couldn't skip forward was a terrible moment, only surpassed in awfulness by the moments that followed when we saw the pupet show. :(

:D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Reminder that it is a double bill tonight with the final judging tomorrow because of Comic Relief on Friday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    an hour of TGBM followed by an hour and a half of Masterchef. Food Glorious Food doesn't stand a chance. :D
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    will it be on or postponed due to new pontiff?
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just switched on - today's guest judge is a bit of a surprise!
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope it starts soon else it'll mess up my recordings tonight when I go out later:(
  • strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh here we go!
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Phew! Great to have seen history made of course, but I was worried GBM would be scuppered!!
    Forum Member
    not the chicken and the egg "joke"again....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would eat cheek but not tongue.
  • Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    What happened? Forgot to record as was busy bathing 4 kids at the time and getting soaked.

Agree these people don't mostly seem to follow the brief
    menu above sounds interesting-- I particularly like the helicopters---I mean model planes---
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    A beef bladder? as in bladder?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beef bladder. I wish I had wine, not for the drinking game, just to get through this!
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new Pope happened. I understand he's a quite a GBM fan mind..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened? Forgot to record as was busy bathing 4 kids at the time and getting soaked----

Not missed much because it started late.
    Forum Member
    that beef bladder when deflated looked like some horrific hospital waste that you lift your main course out of...
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    The new Pope happened. I understand he's a quite a GBM fan mind..

Will he come out onto the balcony holding a small tomato?