Best Narrator on Television

Comments

• mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Another thumbs up for Jonathan Aris here!

Also, John Hurt, David Attenborough and Sean Pertwee.
  • hallchallc Posts: 200,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy who did "Home From Hell "..........Richard Armatage..was superb..
  • pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samul West again narrating Auschwitz by Laurence Rees.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Positioned at opposite ends of the spectrum - Dave Lamb and Piers Gibbon. Both are (IMHO) excellent.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Never heard of either Shardlake or AL - so just googled the books - all Tudor stories, which one would you recommend?

Thanks

All of them, absolutely brilliant books, need to read them in order though

Dissolution
    Darkfire
    Sovereign
    Revelation
    Heartstone

On topic, love Dave Lamb
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Never heard of either Shardlake or AL - so just googled the books - all Tudor stories, which one would you recommend?

Thanks

The first one is Dissolution, but it's not the best, although it is good. I got a box set of all the CDs of the first 4 books in a sale though, so maybe you could find that? I don't think you need to read them in order, but it's probably better if you do.

Edit: here's the updated 5 book set:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Title-Sansom-CD-Boxset/dp/0230756395/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1318008883&sr=8-8
  • maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sean Pertwee is good
  • IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thumbs up for Dave Lamb from me too.

I also thought Benedict Cumberbatch was very good when he did the Steven Hawking programme.
  • acertreeacertree Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mark Strong is excellent but Benedict Cumberbatch is the best. His voice is great on series likw the Pacific and especially all the Stephen Hawking documentaries etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave Lamb or Stephen Fry cant choose.
  • Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »
    It used to be Paul Vaughan - apparently sound engineers called him "The Voice of God" - and best known for Horizon and the Orange ads, but I haven't heard him for ages.
    Paul Vaughan was indeed excellent on Horizon when the programme itself was excellent. Also -Veronika Hyks, another Horizon veteran.

I'm appalled that no one has yet mentioned Verity Sharp and Suzy Klein - total perfection in (usually BBC4) narration from the BBC Radio 3 stable.
  • IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    acertree wrote: »
    mark Strong is excellent but Benedict Cumberbatch is the best. His voice is great on series likw the Pacific and especially all the Stephen Hawking documentaries etc.

I agree about Benedict - I think what's brilliant about him is that he is distinctive without making it about him in any way. And he has an absolutely lovely voice to listen to.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drew_M wrote: »
    I'm appalled that no one has yet mentioned Verity Sharp and Suzy Klein - total perfection in (usually BBC4) narration from the BBC Radio 3 stable.

I have a complete crush on Verity Sharp, I think she's wonderful. I really miss her being on the Culture Show. I keep having to watch the section she did about Sigur Ros on You Tube, it's fab.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Susan Rae. She can make anything sound interesting, even those reality police shows about chavs getting arrested for swearing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Whoever the sarcastic guy is on "Young Dumb and living off mum" would be a great replacement for Dave Lamb on CDWM.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    All of them, absolutely brilliant books, need to read them in order though

Dissolution
    Darkfire
    Sovereign
    Revelation
    Heartstone

On topic, love Dave Lamb

OK, thanks.
    Can recommend Sharon penman's historical novels if you're keen - she follows through from King Stephen to Richard III.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    The first one is Dissolution, but it's not the best, although it is good. I got a box set of all the CDs of the first 4 books in a sale though, so maybe you could find that? I don't think you need to read them in order, but it's probably better if you do.

Edit: here's the updated 5 book set:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Title-Sansom-CD-Boxset/dp/0230756395/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1318008883&sr=8-8

Thanks for that - I'll have a look around.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil Oliver. He does a lot of Scottish History programmes and just makes everything sound *amazing*.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Dave Lamb here :D.
  • 6262 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Any thoughts on Guy Porritt of May the Best House Win?

He's kind of Dave Lamb-lite! :)
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Mark Halliley does The Apprentice & The Hotel Inspector really well.
    As it's a highly unusual name, I wonder if Mark is any relation to John Le Mesurier whose real name was Halliley? :confused:
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard Helen mcrory narrate an Horizon documentary on black holes this week it was great. Never worry if Samuel West or Benedict Cumberbatch are narrating anything.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caroline Aherne

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Nice thread, OP!

Stephen Mangan brings a touch of warmth and class to anything he narrates. And I wish Christopher Eccleston would do more - his voice was perfect for the recent documentary on the history of wrestling.
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave Lamb on Come Dine With me

Seconded .

Incidentally , the WORST has got to be the woman on the rival ITV program , I think it's called Dinner Date where one person has 4 dates or something . She is positively dire and is clearly trying to emulate Dave Lamb exept she's absolutely RUBBISH.
    Not funny not clever and zero personality.
  • 6262 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    She's called Charlotte Hudson.