Channel 5 boss wants to bring back Night Fever, Eldorado

mugwuffmugwuff Posts: 400
Forum Member
I think Night Fever could be a massive hit and I think Eldorado would work brilliantly in a 7pm slot!

Do it!

Comments

• neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mugwuff wrote: »
    I think Night Fever could be a massive hit and I think Eldorado would work brilliantly in a 7pm slot!

Do it!

I use to watch Night Fever on CH5. Eldorado was crap on the BBC and may or may no work on CH5 and as for a 7pm slot as you say thats a no go as Emmerdale is on ITV at 7pm and just under 50% of the UK watch Emmerdale.

Darren
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the current trend in soaps has now reached a stage where the quality of Eldorado would seem little different.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,671
    Forum Member
    I think there's definitely mileage in a Night Fever revival, purely on the basis that unlike a lot of modern day Saturday night entertainment, it was genuinely good fun. It never took itself too seriously, and was an enjoyable way to kick off the weekend.

Not so sure on Eldorado. Surprised to hear C5 talking about wanting a primetime soap. Is the market there for another one? I'm not convinced.
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we talking about a re-run or new series of Elderado ?

I'd live to see the whole series again , either way .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    Are we talking about a re-run or new series of Elderado ?

I'd live to see the whole series again , either way .

Think they are sadly tslking about new Elderado and it will not work at a 7pm slot on CH5 as I have said above. If it was 8pm on a Tuseday and a Wedensday it may or may no work on CH5.

Darren
  • mugwuffmugwuff Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Bring back Whittle and Family Affairs!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mugwuff wrote: »
    Bring back Whittle and Family Affairs!

Family Affairs was on ok soap. I dont remember Whittle.
    Over 30% of Scotland watch the soap River City on BBC1 Scotland at 8pm on a Tuseday.

Darren
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to love Night Fever!:D
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Night Fever was Saturday Night hosted by Suggs loved it - I am not too sure on a "revival" i'll say 50/50 if they managed to get Suggs back for it then I MAY watch it - put someone like Rylan on it will ruin it completely (or anyone from that "genre") :eek:
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the current trend in soaps has now reached a stage where the quality of Eldorado would seem little different.

Soaps are in decline, the heyday is long gone for them all, new programming by all means but bringing back the past won't work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Family Affairs was on ok soap. I dont remember Whittle.
    Over 30% of Scotland watch the soap River City on BBC1 Scotland at 8pm on a Tuseday.

Darren

I don't know anyone who watches River City but then again I don't know anyone with a barb box.:p
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soaps are in decline, the heyday is long gone for them all, new programming by all means but bringing back the past won't work.

My comment was really more about how crap and depressing are current soaps.
    But maybe that's their appeal to some.
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does the OP have a source for this information btw?

Not sure about Eldorado but a revival of Night fever would work for sure as like someone said above it never took it self seriously and there are plenty of z list celebs who would be willing to give it ago. also i don't think it would need much of a revamp.

they could start it off by doing a Christmas/New Years Eve special to see if it is still popular.
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the OP have a source for this information btw?

Not sure about Eldorado but a revival of Night fever would work for sure as like someone said above it never took it self seriously and there are plenty of z list celebs who would be willing to give it ago. also i don't think it would need much of a revamp.

they could start it off by doing a Christmas/New Years Eve special to see if it is still popular.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a504512/channel-5-boss-wants-to-bring-back-night-fever-eldorado.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My comment was really more about how crap and depressing are current soaps.
    But maybe that's their appeal to some.

I loved Eldorado but for me I'd hate to see it return, and I heartily agree with you about the current soaps.

I liked the BBC's 'Out of the Blue' but if that could not be made to work then any new soap is destined for failure. Like the idea of 'Night Fever' making a return.
  • mugwuffmugwuff Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    In the original article that DS take this from, channel 5 also say they want to do an end of the pier summer show.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Night Fever might work, if they can get Barry out of Eastenders. He might be too big for the show now, but he was always great fun on. I'm sure there are plenty of young starlets willing to stand on the desk and flash their knickers. The plethora of crap 'reality' soaps will take care of that.

Eldorado would only work if they find a slot for it. Any clash with Emmerdale, Corrie or the other big soap will kill it. I'm not even sure it could stand against HO, because I think it would be aiming for their audience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member

Love this..... great find
  • dpmd_Londondpmd_London Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Why not 100% and Xena whilst they're at it?...
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that - enjoyed reading it. We live near to Coin where the set was (still is) for Eldorado and used to see the cast out and about.The building where Marcus kept Pilar can be seen from my friends house and we often talk about it.
    Hope it is brought back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    The beauty of Eldorado is that the set, built by the late Keith Harris (who also built Albert Square) is still standing and has stood the test of time, so that would save money from the start.

If they set more scenes on the Spanish coast, got themselves a decent bunch of cast & writing team, and could afford to send people to Coin for filming, then it's worth a go, maybe in the 20.30 slot Tues/Weds/Thu.

What I'd do is have a 50/50 cast of permanent actors & guest actors - the permanent ones would live/work in the "old town" and the guest actors would rent the holiday homes once occupied by the ex-pats in Eldorado, which would have now become a resort centre
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    I think there's definitely mileage in a Night Fever revival, purely on the basis that unlike a lot of modern day Saturday night entertainment, it was genuinely good fun. It never took itself too seriously, and was an enjoyable way to kick off the weekend.

Not so sure on Eldorado. Surprised to hear C5 talking about wanting a primetime soap. Is the market there for another one? I'm not convinced.

bib: Agreed.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    i was only little when night fever was on under 10 but i loved it , i was sad when it finished and ive always remembered it. id love it to come back but it probably wont , getting my hopes up a bit.