TOTP 1978 - Double Standards

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
Forum Member
I'm just watching lasts nights repeat and was surprised to see they had included Jonathan King in the line-up. With them not showing any DLT fronted programmes (rightly or wrongly) it seemed very odd. :confused:

Comments

• TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DLT was one of my favourite DJ's back in the 60's :o
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrishaS wrote: »
    DLT was one of my favourite DJ's back in the 60's :o

No need to be ashamed. He's not been convicted of anything yet-and if he was, you wouldn't have known at the time what he was like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    No need to be ashamed. He's not been convicted of anything yet-and if he was, you wouldn't have known at the time what he was like.

I agree Phoenix, I just think it's bad they ban his TOTP's episodes and then feature someone who was actually convicted and jailed.
  • 10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just watching lasts nights repeat and was surprised to see they had included Jonathan King in the line-up. With them not showing any DLT fronted programmes (rightly or wrongly) it seemed very odd. :confused:
    Like the guy said on the main thread, STFU or you will get this great series axed. Just fast forward past the bit with Jonathan King and you will be fine. Or go to a Middle England doctor and pharmacy and get a prescription for valium or something.
  • Quizzimodo1000Quizzimodo1000 Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Like the guy said on the main thread, STFU or you will get this great series axed. Just fast forward past the bit with Jonathan King and you will be fine. Or go to a Middle England pharmacy and get a prescription for valium or something.

Don't you think the OP raises a good point?

They have excised all episodes with Saville or Glitter so to show one with King is bizarre to say the least
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They have excised all episodes with Saville or Glitter so to show one with King is bizarre to say the least
    No I don't.
    Anyway they showed Giltter about a year ago on this rerun.
    Anyway again, why should the viewing public be punished for other peoples crimes? There are going to be instances where classic songs are not going to be shown because DLT or JS presented the show. Beyond crazy. And the OP raising the point about King. Another Monday morning BBC meeting about the future of this great show.:confused:
    Forum Member
    Like the guy said on the main thread, STFU or you will get this great series axed. Just fast forward past the bit with Jonathan King and you will be fine. Or go to a Middle England doctor and pharmacy and get a prescription for valium or something.

I really don't understand this reply. I love watching TOTP 1978 as it brings back so many good memories, my problem wasn't that they showed JK (although it was a really crappy song), just why they have banned others from appearing without being found guilty and shown this song.:confused:
    Forum Member
    No I don't.
    Anyway they showed Giltter about a year ago on this rerun.
    Anyway, why should the viewing public be punished for other peoples crimes? There are going to be instances where classic songs are not going to be shown because DLT or JS presented the show.

You seem to be misunderstanding the point being made by most of us on here.

The problem isn't that JK was show, it's that the others mentioned are not

Where does it end?
    No one with known drug problems shown?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Where does it end?
    They showed Glitter and JK over the last 12 months, so maybe they just made a decision concerning the presenters, not the performers which is good, Presenter singular if DLT is not guilty.
    If people don't want King or Glitter in their living rooms, just FF their Sky+.
  • mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Like the guy said on the main thread, STFU or you will get this great series axed. .

Bit rude that. :rolleyes: The OP actually raises a good point about double standards and doubt any single DS poster would get TOTP axed anyway!
    Forum Member
    mike_dunn wrote: »
    Bit rude that. :rolleyes: The OP actually raises a good point about double standards and doubt any single DS poster would get TOTP axed anyway!

Aww and here was me starting to think I had real power over the BBC LOL :)
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from stating the obvious about JK, that song was terrible. Also the BBC is going to have a problem with eighties episodes as JK appeared from time to time as a presenter.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where does it end?

Sorry, are you actually equating addiction with child molesting?
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,668
    Forum Member

Typical BBC I'm afraid.
    They don't have any problems playing Jerry Lee Lewis songs and he married a 12 year old. Also Rolling Stones featuring Bill Wyman who bizarrely had a relationship with 13 year old Mandy Smith in the 80's

Of course JK has hits under many guises in the 70's.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Typical BBC I'm afraid.
    They don't have any problems playing Jerry Lee Lewis songs and he married a 12 year old. Also Rolling Stones featuring Bill Wyman who bizarrely had a relationship with 13 year old Mandy Smith in the 80's

Pointless point.
    Jerry or Bill were not charged or convicted of any wrongdoing.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Pointless point.
    Jerry or Bill were not charged or convicted of any wrongdoing.

Neither was Savile.
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No you are right, maybe I should have put a sad face as I really liked him :(
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the need to airbrush these people from television?

What next, are we not to have documentaries that feature Hitler or Stalin?
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was amazed to see him on it to be frank.
    Forum Member
    Liparus wrote: »
    Why the need to airbrush these people from television?

What next, are we not to have documentaries that feature Hitler or Stalin?

The problem is that TOTP is low culture in the eyes of BBC decision makers

Wagner has a reputation as a virulent anti-semite and yet a large part of the Proms season was given over to his music
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it matter if they are featured they were doing a job of employment history cannot be erased they were part of the tv and radio culture of the time just accept it and move on.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He complained to Mark Thompson a couple years ago and he received an apology and promise that he wouldn't be edited out any more. I don't know why though.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Why are performers who committed crimes (eg Gary Glitter, JK) allowed to be shown but not the presenters (eg Saville)? :confused: They can both and all should be shown, imo :)
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither was Savile.

The first recorded complaint against Savile happened in the 1950's, before he became a major tv star, so it's very possible he was Britain's worst sex offender against teenagers for a century.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Typical BBC I'm afraid.

Of course JK has hits under many guises in the 70's.

Bill Wyman was guilty of under-age sex ( a crime ) but Savile may have raped not just teenage girls in general but patients in mental health institutions & children's homes who were totally unable to say no or turn to help - a true sexual predator.