✭✭
    Sue Johnston is joining downton abbey
    She will play Violet's new maid called Denker
  • ZipgoesamillionZipgoesamillion Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She hasn't started filming yet so presumably she's only in the last couple of episodes and possibly the CS. It could be amusing, she's only 10 years younger than Maggie Smith in real life. Maybe Violet will be sharing some zingers with her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a number of you may recall Dr Clarkson (David Robb) real-life wife tragically died (suicide) last year. He has just given an interview to the Evening Standard about the tragedy. It would appear she had been anorexic most of her life. Unfortunately mental health issues never go away.

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/my-lovely-wife-died-under-a-train--but-anorexia-killed-her-9451835.html
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why on earth have they chosen this woman !?

I really find her so irritating , there must be at least ONE out of work ageing actress somewhere . They are lowering themselves to the sad levels of Corry and Eastbenders by adding a well known face to the cast ....so disappointed . Who next David Essex as a loveable cockney servant ?
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best casting news for this series in ages :)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »

I really find her so irritating , there must be at least ONE out of work ageing actress somewhere . They are lowering themselves to the sad levels of Corry and Eastbenders by adding a well known face to the cast ....so disappointed . Who next David Essex as a loveable cockney servant ?

I don't see the problem
    Sue Johnston is a brilliant actress when given a great amount to do
    Plus she isn't just a corrie actress, she has done tons of british television. The royale family, Jam and jersulam, Waking the dead etc

She was wasted in Corrie but Downton should excel her.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. She does nothing for me, either. She will forever be Sheila Grant off Brookside - she got on my wick then and has never stopped since :D

What's wrong with casting unknown actors? This over-reliance on "well-known" faces is very annoying.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. She does nothing for me, either. She will forever be Sheila Grant off Brookside - she got on my wick then and has never stopped since :D

What's wrong with casting unknown actors? This over-reliance on "well-known" faces is very annoying.

It's just ratings chasing.
    It's become little more than an Edwardian soap and has the cast now to prove it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the well known names are just cameos anyway. They have them every season and so far none of them has stayed beyond a few episodes.

It would be more interesting to find out which actors are REALLY returning as regulars for the show. We don't know anything about Evelyn Napier for example or about Madeline Allsop. I'm very optimistic about the latter though.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just ratings chasing.
    It's become little more than an Edwardian soap and has the cast now to prove it.

Yeah because Downton Abbey needs to chase ratings :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Downton doesn't need to chase ratings, but I think it is just to build a bit of anticipation for the new season and to get a bit of promotion when they announce well known British actors for cameos. It gives much more of a buzz if they announce Harriet Walter as if they announce Poppy Drayton, even though the latter had a far more interesting and important part to play than Harriet Walter with her 3 or 4 lines in one episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andorra wrote: »
    Downton doesn't need to chase ratings, but I think it is just to build a bit of anticipation for the new season and to get a bit of promotion when they announce well known British actors for cameos. It gives much more of a buzz if they announce Harriet Walter as if they announce Poppy Drayton, even though the latter had a far more interesting and important part to play than Harriet Walter with her 3 or 4 lines in one episode.

I'm not sure Poppy Drayton will be back. Last I read she was out in LA for the pilot season, whether she was successful I wouldn't know. I personally liked her character and would be happy for her to put in an appearance.

On another note Andorra were you one of a number of fans who attended the recent appearances of Allen Leech and Rob James-Collier?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure Poppy Drayton will be back. Last I read she was out in LA for the pilot season, whether she was successful I wouldn't know. I personally liked her character and would be happy for her to put in an appearance.

Well, she came back just in time for the block 5.3/5.4 and has been in London since, being very quiet about what she's working. So I have my fingers pressed!
    On another note Andorra were you one of a number of fans who attended the recent appearances of Allen Leech and Rob James-Collier?

Yes I was! And it was a really great afternoon. Allen and Rob are both very lovely and made every fan (there were more than 500 who waited patiently in line to meet them) feel they came especially for him/her.
    And boy are they handsome in real life! They're both stunning and I admit, I was a bit hypnotized by Allen's blue eyes and smile :blush::blush::blush:

I was lucky, because I was the very first fan they talked to and I had a little bit more time than the others. After me some resolute manager lady started to hurry people up.

But it wasn't only meeting Allen and Rob that was great, it was equally great to meet the other fans. They were all so lovely and nice and we had a great laugh while waiting in line for 4.5 hours! I would love to do something like that again.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whereby David Essex is a cracking good actor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmy legends has uploaded a couple of new video interviews with Gareth Neame and Julian Fellowes. They are fairly long, 1 hour for the former and 1.5 hours for the latter and are biographical going through their careers to date. Some of the stuff, you may have seen in other interviews or read about. Quite interesting if you've time to listen.

Gareth Neame
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzbex-MzhYg

Julian Fellowes
    part 1
    http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/julian-fellowes

part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd5axwGyku8

On another theme they were filming at (Horsted Keynes) Downton station today. I don't know which cast were involved but assume Allen Leech and Rob James Collier weren't involved, as they said whilst in Germany last week that they had 2 weeks off.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluebellrailway/14166535449/in/photostream/lightbox/

Gower Street in central London has notices up for closure on one working day next week due to filming. It doesn't say what they're filming so not necessarily DA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah because Downton Abbey needs to chase ratings :confused:

I know
    One of the highest rated shows all around the world. 10 million in the US alone

Rating issues are far from Downton's problems

It needs better quality in it's writing more than anything personally
    Series 4 was very sloppy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.spotlight.com/interactive/cv/1/M109530.html

This page says the actor is cast as "Tim Grey" in Downton Abbey. It could be that he is Larry Grey's brother and Lord Merton's son. I think he looks a bit like Larry, too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously Larry Grey will be back, too!
    http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/charlie-anson/

I must say, I love that, because I'm curious what is going to happen between him and Tom? Will they clash again?

It looks even more serious between Isobel and Lord Merton then though. Maybe they will marry. I like Lord Merton, but I would be so sad to see Isobel leave, so I hope IF they marry, that they will stay near Downton!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously Larry Grey will be back, too!
    http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/charlie-anson/

I must say, I love that, because I'm curious what is going to happen between him and Tom? Will they clash again?

It looks even more serious between Isobel and Lord Merton then though. Maybe they will marry. I like Lord Merton, but I would be so sad to see Isobel leave, so I hope IF they marry, that they will stay near Downton!

I don't think Isobel would leave, as her grandson is the closest thing to Matthew she will ever have now
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't been on this board in ages catching up with Downton news so excited nearly that time well only about three months. Was curious to know is Charles Edwards returning as Gregson really want the storyline to be resolved. Hoping to have less of Lady Mary and her merry men storylines although I doubt it.>:(
    Really cannot wait between this and the remake of Poldark new period dramas is always a good thing very annoyed the BBC decided to axe The Crimson Field.>:(:)
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't been on this board in ages catching up with Downton news so excited nearly that time well only about three months. Was curious to know is Charles Edwards returning as Gregson really want the storyline to be resolved. Hoping to have less of Lady Mary and her merry men storylines although I doubt it.>:(
    Really cannot wait between this and the remake of Poldark new period dramas is always a good thing very annoyed the BBC decided to axe The Crimson Field.>:(:)

Me too I really loved it :(

Am nervous about Poldark because I think nothing will compare with the original.

Am looking forward to Downtons return but hope there is not too much of that awful school teacher. Tom can do so much better.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too I really loved it :(

Am nervous about Poldark because I think nothing will compare with the original.

Am looking forward to Downtons return but hope there is not too much of that awful school teacher. Tom can do so much better.

I am watching the original Poldark at the moment so its more curiousity how they do the remake curious more about Ruby Bentall and Richard Harrington as the Verity and Capt Blamey as I like them two.;-)

As for Tom couldn't agree with you more please Fellows ditch the b*tch teacher.>:( Tom is far to good for her.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Count me in for the people who are sad that "The Crimson Field" was cancelled! I loved it! And I don't understand the reason behind it. 7 Mio viewers is not bad??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count me in for the people who are sad that "The Crimson Field" was cancelled! I loved it! And I don't understand the reason behind it. 7 Mio viewers is not bad??

Unfortunately by by the last episode viewing numbers were down to just over 4 million. Also the critics were not enamoured, not that means anything. As we all know there are many shows viewers like but are not critically well received. Anyhow I believe they have a number of other dramas in mind for the next three and a bit years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears Daisy Lewis is off to Romania to film Sons of Liberty for the American history channel. Its about the organisers of the Boston Tea Party. So perhaps this is farewell to Sarah Bunting.