Thought voice calling would come onto the app in the second quarter of 2014

Anybody heard much ???

Comments

• Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    As per the title really

Anybody heard much ???

I don't think it was voice calls more so voice messaging?
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    I don't think it was voice calls more so voice messaging?

it was voice calls.
    whatsapp already has voice messaging and has for quite some time.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As per the title really

Anybody heard much ???

Coming soon apparently

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/whatsapp-voice-calling-coming-soon
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    it was voice calls.
    whatsapp already has voice messaging and has for quite some time.

Sorry I stand corrected, just searched it on google. My apologies :)

I don't really understand what benefit this would bring if I'm honest. Most people who have facebook will have the messenger installed which enables voice calls. Surely the soon to be Facebook owned WhatsApp is merely overlapping functionality with their parent company?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the soon to be Facebook owned WhatsApp is merely overlapping functionality with their parent company?

you need to google again.
    nothing "soon to be" about it. it already is owned by facebook.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,594
    Forum Member
    Sorry I stand corrected, just searched it on google. My apologies :)

I don't really understand what benefit this would bring if I'm honest. Most people who have facebook will have the messenger installed which enables voice calls. Surely the soon to be Facebook owned WhatsApp is merely overlapping functionality with their parent company?

Many people who use Whatsapp don't use Facebook...
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you sure about that? WhatsApp's co-founder Brian Acton was quoted 3 weeks ago as saying the deal hadn't closed yet, and AFAIK it's still pending anti-trust review in Europe.
  • DarreninessexDarreninessex Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Don't use Facebook much

But have people who are abroad and chat to them quite a bit through Skype etc..

Thinking it would be easier through whatsapp as that's where I message them already
    Forum Member

As far as I'm aware its still in due diligence at the moment, so the process hasn't completed. In fact it has yet to clear regulatory scrutiny in the EU and China will want to have their input as well.

So maybe you need to google again

Oh and for reference this article was only from a couple of weeks ago

http://business.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=12000B332IS0

I refer to this:
    WhatsApp and Facebook are both awaiting regulatory approval for the deal. The deal was approved by the Federal Trade Commission in the U.S., but Facebook wanted the European Union to review the deal as well.
    So the deal is very much far from being completed......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you think facebook isn't already in control of whatsapp (regardless of what the public stance may be) then keep believing that.
    and if anyone believed for a second that the deal would collapse if the the EU objected then i guess they also believe in the tooth fairy.
    Forum Member
    if you think facebook isn't already in control of whatsapp (regardless of what the public stance may be) then keep believing that.
    and if anyone believed for a second that the deal would collapse if the the EU objected then i guess they also believe in the tooth fairy.

:D

The deal would stall if the EU vetoed the merger, it would make FB and WhatsApp go back to the drawing board to address concerns. Its no secret EU regulators are more clap happy when it comes to acquisition approvals, and with the fall out from the NSA spying scandal this deal will suffer more scrutiny than previous ones.

Say what you want the deal hasn't closed, so you got your facts wrong. Facebook isn't in control of the company until the aquisition is approved, there will be an interim agreement in place which will ensure the running of the app continues as normal.

I think you need to look up information on mergers and aquisitions before you state false opinions as fact.
  • ras4liferas4life Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Any news on this?
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    I don't use FB but use whatsapp constantly. Short voice calls over wifi when abroad particularly would be great. Although can anyone explain please why public wifi (airports, coffee shops) won't allow whatsapp use? My phone always comes up with an 'unsafe' warning and a message that I can't use this on this connection. 3G is ok.

Also how do you enable screen instant notifications for whatsapp please on an iPhone 5S (or 6) as 2 mates of mine constantly don't 'get' my whatsapp messages until they open the app. On my old nexus 4 it's top of the screen whatsapp message symbol and I just pull down. Can you just do this on android?