Options

Is ALDI really any cheaper?

Comments

• Options
    ianlawnianlawn Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Who are these people with an irrational dislike of Value food,? Tesco\ Morrison's\Asda according to their latest trading figures don't appear to agree with you, its simply a matter of common sense prevailing

Aldi still has a small share, its still a minority. Most people disagree

People think value is trash despite that some are same item as branded item and the blind taste tests. People are brainwashed by prices and advertising. Very simple
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianlawn wrote: »
    No but you havent looked into it

Snackrite Crisps - Ready Salted (6x25g) 69p
    Tesco Everyday Value Crisps - Ready Salted (12x20g) 66p

Why are you comparing Snackrite crisps with Tesco Value crisps? :confused:
    Snackrite crisps are the Aldi equivalent of Walkers crisps - the quality is just as good.
  • Options
    Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Why are you comparing Snackrite crisps with Tesco Value crisps? :confused:
    Snackrite crisps are the Aldi equivalent of Walkers crisps - the quality is just as good.

No! Just no....ALDI is Albrecht Discount Stores. It is a discounter, Snackrite are just not as good as Walkers. Infact Snackrite are probably made in the same factory using the same ingredients as Tesco crisps.

That is not to say the quality is poor, But not matter what, to be able to sell them at the price they do they cannot be using prime ingredients.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    Definitely - we switched and our weekly shop is around 30-40% cheaper.

Some things are better in Aldi, many are identical to main supermarkets, some are an acceptable trade off, some not.

There are a couple of regular purchases we can't get, so a monthly run to Tesco is needed
  • Options
    Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    If the OP were to spend a little time & money at an Aldi store he would quickly come to the conclusion that Aldi`s adverts are stating the facts
    It is now common knowledge that the leading Supermarkets have been losing trade to Aldi, & this should come as no surprise as many middle class shoppers will be seen at their stores

I have no problem with ALDI at all, but when comparing price own brand to own brand is the only fair way. I just wonder why ALDI use brand leaders in their price comparison adverts?

I know they have had to change some adverts for being basically misleading EG- Comparing the price of 500g or ALDI own brand product to 750g of brand leading product is price comparison.
    http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2014/3/Aldi-Stores-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_251043.aspx#.U7-tbblOXIU
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Aldi cheaper?
    Yes

Lidls is also cheap, but just not quite as cheap as Aldi.

The Lidl shops appear to be of a higher quality too.

Using lidls as a comparision, our week shop is around 40% less expensive than using sainsburys - which also more than covers the cost of the fuel to drive there and back. Aldi's is a bit cheaper again, but for us its quite a bit further to go so I don't think their savings over Lidls prices is worth it, and the Aldi shop is not as nice either.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No! Just no....ALDI is Albrecht Discount Stores. It is a discounter, Snackrite are just not as good as Walkers. Infact Snackrite are probably made in the same factory using the same ingredients as Tesco crisps.

That is not to say the quality is poor, But not matter what, to be able to sell them at the price they do they cannot be using prime ingredients.
    Crisps are junk food. Do you seriously think any manufacturers use "prime" ingredients? They're mainly potato starch and a mixture of chemicals and colourings, with loads of salt. It's bizarre to compare supermarkets by the standard of their crisps.

The truth is that some people are highly susceptible to advertising whereas others aren't. Some people won't buy anything unless they've seen it advertised on the television, even items such as washing-up liquid, shower gel, shampoo, rice, etc. Hobnob biscuits are absolutely identical to Aldi's Oaties and also an own-brand from the Co-Op.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

An how many people realise the variety of Blueberrys they are buying are very low in antioxidants? I assume the purchase them thinking all Blueberrys are the same?

I did not know this! Which variety is best?
  • Options
    MookleMookle Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a shop at aldi a while back, then - like a saddo - did a comparison shop at Sainsburys online. It was a £110 in Sainsbury and £76 at Aldi, those pennies add up!
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who are these people with an irrational dislike of Value food,? Tesco\ Morrison's\Asda according to their latest trading figures don't appear to agree with you, its simply a matter of common sense prevailing

I'm one of them, I have tried cheaper brands but have found them to be off lower quality and un nutritional. I don't have much money about me, but I shop wisely at the local shops in town by getting very good fresh meat from my butcher and veg at the local farmers market.

Yes, I'm a food snob, so there.:)

P.S. If you want to save some serious money, get rid of your phone and tv contracts etc....
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Crisps are junk food. Do you seriously think any manufacturers use "prime" ingredients? They're mainly potato starch and a mixture of chemicals and colourings, with loads of salt. It's bizarre to compare supermarkets by the standard of their crisps.

No it isn't - crisps are mainly potato, and the type of potato used makes a heck of a difference (and will cost more). It's no different from some spuds making better mash than others.

And ignoring the fact that everything is chemicals, you really need to read the ingredients and understand that, once again, there is ahuge difference in the components that make up the seasonings, and that there is significantly less salt than there used to be.

It's actually a pretty good comparison...
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Aldi and Lidl still seem to be winners, but the big 4 - especially Waitrose
    have responded to the challenge with their 'basics' price offers resulting in the margins being now much narrower. Also Aldi have a long way to go to match the wider choice and range available with those of the big 4.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol @ eople just saying anything that just justifies where they already shop
    How hard do the tards think it is to fry sliced potatoes in oil?
    If you don't like the cheap places, don't go there. It makes the queues shorter for the people in the know ;)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ML11 wrote: »
    I shop wisely at the local shops in town by getting very good fresh meat from my butcher and veg at the local farmers market.
    Meat from the butcher perhaps, but veg from a farmers' market is vastly over-priced and just about the worst place you could possibly buy it from. Basically, farmers' markets are for gullible townies who don't know any better.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Meat from the butcher perhaps, but veg from a farmers' market is vastly over-priced and just about the worst place you could possibly buy it from. Basically, farmers' markets are for gullible townies who don't know any better.

I think it depends. At the farmers market by us there is a farm shop who often have a stall. I have visted the shop and they do grow most of it themselves and it tastes great.

However i agree some are no better than market stalls with overpriced, mystery-provenance veg from who knows where.
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a real livestock market I go to where real farmers trade, not one of those you see popping up here and there that rip people off.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    Aldi and Lidl still seem to be winners, but the big 4 - especially Waitrose
    have responded to the challenge with their 'basics' price offers resulting in the margins being now much narrower. Also Aldi have a long way to go to match the wider choice and range available with those of the big 4.

Waitrose isn't one of the 'big 4'.
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate that this may be going off topic, but what do you think of Aldi as an employer? An acquaintance of mine used to work at our local store and, apparently, every staff member had to wear a watch, as they were allowed an allotted period of time to complete each task, and these guidelines had to be adhered to, or else. They are paid a higher hourly rate than other supermarkets but, as an outsider looking in, they never stop, and are worth it. A cashier closes a till one minute; the next she is on another. The manager was extremely gung ho which, imo, indicates that the pressure put on her is so intense that she, in turn, has to do the same with her staff. Counterproductive, I would say.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Snackrite crisps are as good as Walkers in my opinion. Especially Salt & Vinegar and Worcester Sauce flavours (my particular favourites! :D).
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep close eye on my sopping budget, and basket for basket, Aldi comes up cheapest almost every time. But that's MY basket, which isn't relavent to anyone else's basket. I think of Aldi as like poundland, because on average the price is £1 per item.

I love the quality though - even if Asda were the same price, the food tastes blander and it's lower quality.
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shopped in Aldi for the first time today. The wife and I made a point of making our normal shopping list - and not distracting from it. We saved around £10 against Tesco.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco has become noticeably expensive. I shop for 2 and spend around £50 on a main shop.
    Aldi maybe £35. Partly down to a lack of options in Aldi though, as its expensive ready meals that I buy in Tesco.

Sticking to basics and Aldi is cheaper. What I don't like is a lack of dates on fruit and veg in Aldi. They need to be used quickish as well.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »
    I notice a big difference when I shop at Aldi. I think a lot of things are only about 20p-50p cheaper but it always adds up and gives you a nice surprise at the checkout. My favourite thing about Aldi - A pack of 42 nappies for £4.50. Just spent £4.99 on 17 Pampers and Aldi's are much better. (Not for my personal use :o)

Asda do great nappies too, maybe not quite as cheap as Aldi? But still a bargain.

We have had 0 leaks and 0 nappy rashes since we started using them. Pampers were absolutely rubbish.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Aldi, apart from saving about £40 a week, I enjoy the lack of choice. I just don't have the time or inclination to wander round Tesco and Asda which are both the size of a small village with fifty types of teabags, 18 different porridge oats, a a dozen types of bloody crumpets to choose from, it's so fecking tedious. It takes me about ten mins round Aldi to do a weekly shop. The quality is superb too, their dishwasher tabs for instance are 10p compared to 40p a tab for leading brands but they are far superior so I guess that's why they compare their own brand to top brands rather than supermarket own brands which are usually a bit shit if we're honest.
    They regularly come out on top in blind taste tests for stuff like mince pies beating M&s and Waitrose and Which magazine often give them glowing reports for dishwasher tabs which beat Fairy and the like.
    The only thing I don't like is having to go by car because their isn't one near me and they don't deliver.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    I don't live near an Aldi atmo but one is opening soon not so far away so I might have a look in