which celeb autobiographys have u read??

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read too many to count!

The two best celebrity autobiographies I've read are Kurt Browning's ("Forcing The Edge") and Anthony Rapp's ("Without You: A Memoir of Love, Loss and The Musical Rent"). I re-read those all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just finished the jo brand auto biog good read very funny in places but just ends with me wanting more maybe there will be a follow up??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I really cant see the fasination with these celebrity books,i mean wayne rooney and michael owen etc etc..
    "uhh went to school,played football,got quite good at it ..uhh and the rest is well,quite boring".
    I think that most people with any literary sense would stay well clear of these so called books,isn`t it more interesting to read about everyday man on the street who has had an extraordinary life and experiences?
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually hate celebrity autobiographies, particularly those written by people under 30 or by people who have some pathetic claim to fame and regularly appear in "Now" or "OK".

The only autobiog I've read is Andre Agassi's, and I thought it was brilliant, a riveting and thoroughly interesting insight into the surreal life of a tennis player. As a tennis fan, it was enthralling.
  • pussyfootpussyfoot Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished reading I am Ozzy, by Ozzy Osbourne. Fantastic, just couldn't put it down, and i have read many autobiogs. Laughed out loud at some of the things he says. I highly recommend it, a brilliant read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I have read all the usual but the one that I love to death and have read so many times is :

Lucky Man - Michael J Fox.

It's one of only a few books that I recommend to mates. I just wish there was a follow up.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TTowel wrote: »
    I have read all the usual but the one that I love to death and have read so many times is :

Lucky Man - Michael J Fox.

It's one of only a few books that I recommend to mates. I just wish there was a follow up.

I thought there was? I'm sure he'd released a second part recently.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Always-Looking-Up-Michael-Fox/dp/0091922674
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    purplecatz wrote: »
    Both Sharon Osbourne ones
    Richard Hammond
    David Essex
    Donny Osmond
    David Cassidy
    Tony Hadley
    Martin Kemp
    Robbie Williams
    Brenda Blethyn
    Peter Kay - that had me laughing out loud :D
    David Ginola
    Kevin Keegan
    Lee Sharpe
    James Martin
    Tina Turner
    John Barrowman
    Richard and Judy
    Martine McCutcheon
    Barbara Windsor
    John Barnes
    Sally Gunnell
    Denice Lewis

and have the following on my bookshelf waiting to be read
    Julie Walters, Dawn French

More to be added to my list

Sheila Hancock
    John Thaw
    Marco Pierre White
    Chris Evans
    Jo Brand
    Both Jade Goody ones:o
    Kerry Katona:o
    Gary Barlow
    Colin Jackson
    John McEnroe

to be read -

David Beckham
    Len Goodman
    Michael Parkinson
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't read that many.
    Paul O'Grady
    Peter Kay
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I thought there was? I'm sure he'd released a second part recently.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Always-Looking-Up-Michael-Fox/dp/0091922674

Brill, thats getting ordered today. It's been a while since I checked online. Thanks!
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TTowel wrote: »
    Brill, thats getting ordered today. It's been a while since I checked online. Thanks!

No probs! I was waiting for it too (Lucky Man is wonderful) and couldn't remember when it was out in paperback. I'll get it ordered too. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denice welch
    and beverley callard
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only ever read Ronan Keating's and Billie Piper's.

They weren't high literature, although I have read both more than once. They're alright if you like them :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment, I'm reading 'The Gospel According to Chris Moyles'. It's quite good. I didn't realise he had written anything til I saw it in a charity shop the other day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite of all is Roy Keane's, his was one of the first I read, really let you know how he became the player and person that he was/is, his values and determination to succeed. For light reading I was surprised to discover I really enjoyed Patsy Palmer's, how she battled her problems, it seemed very honest for a younger person's story. Along the same lines was Craig Revel Horwood's, which had plenty of challenging and interesting moments in it but also delivered in the 'celeb' department with plenty of "Strictly" gossip towards the end.

On the downside (unpopular maybe, but) the worst I've read was Chris Moyles, I found it really heavy going. Julie Walters and Dawn French's were two that I was really looking forward to coming out but both disappointed me in the end. With Dawn French I didnt really take to the 'letters' style of writing at all, which was a shame because I did enjoy her story. But Julie Walters' I found a bit 'samey' after about half way and struggled to finish it off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe I forgot one of, if not the best I've read - Marcus Trescothick "Coming back to me". I do like cricket, and I think if you don't it would probably be too heavy going (Cricketers can't resist chucking their stats in, fair enough I suppose! :)), but the central theme of his struggle with depression is totally engaging, honest and brilliantly written.
  • withnailukwithnailuk Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozzy osborune and shaun rider, in the last two months,enjoyed both.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Have read autobiographies within the last year by -

Johnnie Walker. (Loved it, particularly the parts about pirate radio).

John Peel - sadly, John died mid-way and his wife finished the book. (Loved it, great pity John wasn't around to tell all his story in his own words).

Roger Moore. (Loved it, Roger is a great storyteller and a gentleman).

Tom Courtenay. (Enjoyed it until it came to the letters he and his Mother exchanged, they were too dull).

Alex James. (Read it because I like Blur, but he came across as a bit of an idiot).

Sharon Osbourne. (Some of her tales I didn't believe, but it was interesting because of her background and the rock music connections).

Have just started Paul O'Grady's book. Very pleasant so far.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Stephen Fry's Moab is My Washpot was very funny and touching. Stephen was very honest about his troubled upbringing.

Barry Norman's "And Why Not?" was very well written and had some amusing stories in it.

Anne Robinson's one was I suppose interesting because it dealt with her alcoholism and her marriage breakdown.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon Osbourne
    John Barrowman
    Simon Cowell
    Robbie Williams
    Dawn French
    Chris Moyles

Loads more but can't remember obviously nothing to write home about ;)

The most fascinating book is of a dead celebrity....Edith Piaf- incredible life
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    John Barrowman (Both)
    Alan Carr
    Paul O'Grady
    Jonathan Ross
    Dawn French
    Roberta Taylor
    Richard Hammond
    Torvill and Dean
    Patrick Swayze
    Ant n Dec
    Shane Richie
    Girls Aloud:o
    Bon Jovi
    Chris Moyles
    Bobby Robson
    Michael Owen
    Paul Gascoigne
    Sharon Osbourne
    Richard Branson
    Steven Gerrard
    Barack Obama
    Jimmy Nail
    Alan Shearer

Want to read:
    Ronnie O'Sullivan
    Elisabeth Sladen
    Jo Brand
    Stephen Fry

I need to get out more :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    piers morgan + dog the bounty hunter
  • Nicky_Byrne_FanNicky_Byrne_Fan Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have three autobiography's to read, they are:

Westlife - 'Our Story'
    Shane Lynch - 'The Chancer'
    Ant and Dec - 'Ooh! What A Lovely Pair'
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    Katie Price
    Doris Day
    Sharon Osbourne
    Ricky Tomlinson
    Steven Gerrard
    Ant and Dec
    David Beckham
    Peter Kay
    Alan Carr
    Jenna Jameson
    Robbie Fowler
    Craig Phillips
    Jeremy Kyle
    Paul O'Grady
    Girls Aloud

I've read a lot more than that but I can't remember all of them, I've read quite a few wrestling autobios as well. I've also got a few 'to read' as well in my never ending to read pile of books.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have three autobiography's to read, they are:

Westlife - 'Our Story'
    Shane Lynch - 'The Chancer'
    Ant and Dec - 'Ooh! What A Lovely Pair'

I have signed copies of the first two, I love them. :o Westlife's is good, but I think they've updated it since I bought it.

Shane Lynch's I liked the first half but not so much the second half. But that's probably just a personal thing.

I think I've posted in this thread before, but I still think Paul Gascoigne's are probably the most interesting of the autobiographies I've read. I found Gary Barlow's strangely interesting as well - I liked him anyway, but I wasn't expecting to enjoy his book as much as I did.