Options

would like to change antivirus

TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I used to use AVG but it seemed to go off a bit. I now use AVAST. Are there any newer ones out there someone could recommend? I have had Norton and didn't find it as good as the free ones.

I'm on Vista and wondered about Defender? Does it handle viruses or just spyware?

Sorry to be a nuisance

Comments

• Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd stick with Avast if it does the job: no point changing just for the sake of it.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Well the best one out there is Avira personal.

It has the best detection rates, best efficiency and footprint.
  • Options
    DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're going to move, I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. It's well thought of around here. Defender is not AV, it's just spyware.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    No one knows Windows like MS so I use the wonderful but free MSE.
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FYI, MSE also includes Windows Defender in one package :)
  • Options
    TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks DotNetWill Faust & Annie Brion. That was what I wanted to hear. I've had my fill of free ones, other than Microsoft.

I have had a message from AVAST that my year is almost up (November) and I need to re register so now is the time to investigate another.

I'll nip over to Microsoft and see all about it.

Thanks again. I'm in the middle of cooking Sunday lunch. I picked some blackberries yesterday and I can smell the blinking crumble getting a bit too brown
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Avast, Avira, MSE. There really isn't much to choose between them. So ultimatly, it comes down to whichever one runs best on your system and which interface you prefer.