Christmas lights cutbacks

CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
Forum Member
✭✭
Tried to see if their was already a thread on this but couldn't. Just wondered what people thought about 40% of councils deciding not to bother/cut back on Xmas street lights this year. Obviously the councils are using redundancies/cutbacks as the reasons for this decision, but do you think Xmas lights encourage more people into a retail centre over the xmas period to spend money, therefore meaning the councils have shot themselves in the feet, as they may lose more than they think they are saving? My opinion is that it's a real shame, as I think Xmas lights are really uplifting at this time of year when it's dark out early and that they do encourage people to get into the Christmas spirit. And I suspect Christmas lights are a drop in the ocean cost-wise, for most councils.

Comments

• ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    It's a pity but when money's tight then decorations are probably the best thing to cut first.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a link OP?
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a link OP?

No sorry. It was on The Wright Stuff this morning though so should be able to view on 5s website I guess.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get your point, but with this being a sensitive time with a lot of people laid off in councils and cutting back of costs, I think its wise for most councils to not be extravagant in the christmas lighting displays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've managed to find this.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/leeds/poll/2011/may/16/leeds-festive-lights-face-funding-cuts

also they mentioned exeter and Islington as examples on the TV earlier too. I guess it could turn out to be a storm in a teacup though.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i think if i'd been laid off by a council and saw them spending more than my salary on christmas lights i'd be frikin furious.

and no i don't think christmas lights encourage people to go shopping
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    i think if i'd been laid off by a council and saw them spending more than my salary on christmas lights i'd be frikin furious.

and no i don't think christmas lights encourage people to go shopping

Really? You don't think families who may not ordinarily go shopping into a town centre together wouldn't do so because the kids wanted to see the Christmas lights and whilst they are there may spend some money? I think in my local town the night they switch the lights on sees lots of people in the town centre, all the shops are open and everyone does a roaring trade. I remember as kid me and my brother used to love looking around the Xmas lights. But I completely agree that it isn't a life or death topic! :D
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Really? You don't think families who may not ordinarily go shopping into a town centre together wouldn't do so because the kids wanted to see the Christmas lights and whilst they are their they may spend some money? I think in my local town the night they switch the lights on sees lots of people in the town centre, all the shops are open and everyone does a roaring trade. I remember as kid me and my brother used to love looking around the xmas lights. But I completely agree that it isn't a life or death topic! :D

no i don't.

i think families have a budget and a wish to buy things at christmas time. i doubt people are going to buy less presents because their are no lights up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? You don't think families who may not ordinarily go shopping into a town centre together wouldn't do so because the kids wanted to see the Christmas lights and whilst they are there may spend some money? I think in my local town the night they switch the lights on sees lots of people in the town centre, all the shops are open and everyone does a roaring trade. I remember as kid me and my brother used to love looking around the Xmas lights. But I completely agree that it isn't a life or death topic! :D

I agree with you to an extent, it's part of the whole Christmas experience, the high street wont have the same feeling without the lights :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess maybe a public consultation may have been a good idea. If most people think they are a waste of money then councils could just scrap Christmas lights completely forever. If, however, most people who pay for the lights anyway through taxes etc, wanted christmas lights, then I don't think the feelings of the few made redundant should be taken into account over and above everyone else. And yes, I have been made redundant in the past.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say that with people losing their jobs, cuts in vital services and the rising costs of energy it's a good thing to cut back on the fripperies too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our village pay for their own christmas lights as do many towns.

Why should councils fund the christmas lights.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    no i don't.

i think families have a budget and a wish to buy things at christmas time. i doubt people are going to buy less presents because their are no lights up.

It depends if it is a tourist attraction.

Birmingham, for example, will pay for and put up lights to increase the festive feeling for the tourists that flock to the German Market (the largest outside Germany).

Tour companies offer trips specifically so people can come to the market - increasing footfall massively - and hence benefit the shops and cafes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Our village pay for their own christmas lights as do many towns.

Why should councils fund the christmas lights.

Where do you think the council get their money from?
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Where do you think the council get their money from?

Budgeted out of Central Government.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    My city council has done the same. It said it didn't have enough money and then told shop owners that they would have to pay for it all. When the shop owners refused the council went running to the local paper accusing the shop owners of ruining everyone's Christmas. In the end someone else stepped in and forked out the cash. I wouldn't mind but the city council is about to spend £2 million changing the road layout and tarting up a car park so John Lewis opens a store here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a personal level I won't be putting up my outside lights this year. Previously it's something I've loved doing. But I am struggling with my electric bill as it is. So it's just indoor tree lights for me this year I'm sad to say.

I'm personally more concerned with my local hospital closing. And the local theatre [our only cultural centre, and performing arts collage] losing funding, than the shopping centers Christmas lights.

Also it's just occurred to me, shouldn't the local traders be footing the bill? They are the ones that benefit. And back in the day, when my family had shops, thats how it was funded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My city council has done the same. It said it didn't have enough money and then told shop owners that they would have to pay for it all. When the shop owners refused the council went running to the local paper accusing the shop owners of ruining everyone's Christmas. In the end someone else stepped in and forked out the cash. I wouldn't mind but the city council is about to spend £2 million changing the road layout and tarting up a car park so John Lewis opens a store here.

My home town have just spent millions building a spanky new council office in the centre of town. Recently they have turned all the lights off in the town after midnight (I think it's midnight, which is fair enough) although its annoyed a fair few people in the town, the running joke though is that the new council offices are lit up like a Christmas tree ! :D Obviously not worrying about money conservation there. I reckon the only reason the town is cutting back (not getting rid completely) is because they need the extra energy for the council building! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which will bring local employment surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    On a personal level I won't be putting up my outside lights this year. Previously it's something I've loved doing. But I am struggling with my electric bill as it is. So it's just indoor tree lights for me this year I'm sad to say.

I'm personally more concerned with my local hospital closing. And the local theatre [our only cultural centre, and performing arts collage] losing funding, than the shopping centers Christmas lights.

Also it's just occurred to me, shouldn't the local traders be footing the bill? They are the ones that benefit. And back in the day, when my family had shops, thats how it was funded.

I completely agree that these things should always come first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    Which will bring local employment surely?

Or could force other, local businesses to close?
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas lights produce a feelgood factor and add a lot to the Christmas experience when out and about, particually for children. To deny them this to save a few quid is definately Scrooge-like. Christmas lights should be towards the top of the list of things not to cut back on when money is tight

And I should imagine they definately do encourage folk to spend a bit more they than may do walking down a plain, unlit high street
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm another one who thinks that in a time of cutbacks this is probably a sad but essential option. Shops will have their own decorations up so it's not all doom and gloom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or could force other, local businesses to close?

Maybe, maybe not. Shall we wait and see before we decide? In my experience not everyone shops in Lewis, it's quite pricey. I haven't shopped there for ages. And these days tend to be quite loyal to independent shops, where personal service never fails to impress. I do appreciate that it's hard for small traders and act accordingly. I'm of the age where I grew up with proper High Streets, and miss them greatly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually just done a bit of googling council meetings minute's and they are planning on "Extending" this years display in the Madeley high street