Christmas lights cutbacks

2»

Comments

• CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe not. Shall we wait and see before we decide? In my experience not everyone shops in Lewis, it's quite pricey. I haven't shopped there for ages.

Lets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually just done a bit of googling council meetings minute's and they are planning on "Extending" this years display in the Madeley high street

Cool! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Cool! :D

Yep, a bit more research and none of the boroughs around here are cutting back on the Christmas lights :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, a bit more research and none of the boroughs around here are cutting back on the Christmas lights :D

That's good. Hopefully my thread didn't come across as a Daily Mail-esq frothing at the mouth rant. I was just interested to know what people thought, and it is 40%, not 100%.
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Or could force other, local businesses to close?

New shopping areas in city centres are generally good, as they bring increased footfall to the city centre. Most businesses have more of a problem with out-of-town developments that take that footfall away from the city centres.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New shopping areas in city centres are generally good, as they bring increased footfall to the city centre. Most businesses have more of a problem with out-of-town developments that take that footfall away from the city centres.

I'm not sure if that's always true though. I'm don't think the centre of Stratford has seen much increase in footfall/profit since Westfield open. I could be wrong though. Maybe they need some impressive Xmas lights to attract people across the bridge? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if that's always true though. I'm don't think the centre of Stratford has seen much increase in footfall/profit since Westfield open. I could be wrong though. Maybe they need some impressive Xmas lights to attract people across the bridge? :D

I live quite near Westfield, and that Justin Bieber [spl?] chappy turned on the lights there this week. I will concede that it bought a lot of visitors to Stratford, who hadn't been there before. Several of my neighbours went along, but failed to shop there. Simply because like me, they have no funds atm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea I've just read through the thread in total, and realize I appear to be coming across as confrontational. I don't mean to at all. I always enjoy your posts and respect you as a FM. I think we just disagree on this subject.
  • Good_boysGood_boys Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I enjoy fireworks night, I wouldn't mind if the councils cut them to save money. Priorities etc
  • himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a good few years when there were no outside lights of any sort at Christmas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live quite near Westfield, and that Justin Bieber [spl?] chappy turned on the lights there this week. I will concede that it bought a lot of visitors to Stratford, who hadn't been there before. Several of my neighbours went along, but failed to shop there. Simply because like me, they have no funds atm.

But Justin Beiber was switching the lights on IN Westfield, not Stratford itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea I've just read through the thread in total, and realize I appear to be coming across as confrontational. I don't mean to at all. I always enjoy your posts and respect you as a FM. I think we just disagree on this subject.

No it's ok. I didn't think you were being confrontational at all. It's good to be able to have a decent discussion for once. :D
  • caroilcaroil Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Really? You don't think families who may not ordinarily go shopping into a town centre together wouldn't do so because the kids wanted to see the Christmas lights and whilst they are there may spend some money? I think in my local town the night they switch the lights on sees lots of people in the town centre, all the shops are open and everyone does a roaring trade. I remember as kid me and my brother used to love looking around the Xmas lights. But I completely agree that it isn't a life or death topic! :D

But why should the council have to pay for it? Surely the businesses in these areas should fund them, don't forget budgets have been cut and so somethings have to give. I would rather it be Christmas Lights than my local library!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    caroil wrote: »
    But why should the council have to pay for it? Surely the businesses in these areas should fund them, don't forget budgets have been cut and so somethings have to give. I would rather it be Christmas Lights than my local library!

But nobody has suggested they close the local library rather than cut xmas lights have they. How can you be sure these local councils don't have the money for xmas lights but have just decided (for reasons of their own) to stop bothering? In my home town I know of no reason why they shouldn't keep with the lights they've had in past years, except of course, the multi million pound council offices they've just treated themselves to! :D