Options

Asexuality

13»

Comments

• Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    I must be demisexual as I do feel physical attraction but I have no interest in acting on it without a deep emotional connection. My friends just think I am weird.

I don't think you should go around giving a trendy label to it. It just sounds that you are waiting for the right person to satisfy you emotionally, as well as physically.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Turquoise wrote: »
    You know the feeling of just feeling different somehow as kids that gay people sometimes talk about? I can relate. The other girls talked about boys and had crushes. I didn't care and found it boring. Once or twice I actually tried to make myself fancy a celebrity because I thought I ought to have crushes, but it never really felt real.

I was the same. I remember girls at school fancying Ronan Keating or someone and I'd pretend I did too, even though I didn't understand what it was about. I never became interested in boys like my friends did and got bored when they went on about it. I thought I'd eventually get those feelings too but never did (I'm 22 now).

I remember thinking I must be bisexual because I was equally attracted to men and women (even if it was not at all:o), learning about asexuality was such a relief!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    The last thing the world needs is an influx of people jumping on a bandwagon and rushing to identify themselves as "biromantic" "demisexual" or whatever the rest of these labels are. Your sex drive can vary dramatically, as can the gender of who you are attracted to throughout your life (although that is less common). By labelling yourself you are causing yourself more confusion than is necessary, and you could find you have ten different names for your own sexuality throughout your lifetime. Sexuality is fluid and fluxuating.

You're quite right that sexuality can change and isn't necessarily straightforward, but...

Everyone who's asexual has a romantic orientation too, but, leaving 'aromantic' to one side for a moment, the names for those are basically the non-sexual equivalents of 'straight' 'gay/lesbian' and 'bisexual/pansexual'. You can't really object to them unless you also object to people calling themselves straight, gay or bi.
  • Options
    PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    How common is homoromantic asexuality /?
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How common is homoromantic asexuality /?

it happens a lot over xbox Live
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Clem* wrote: »
    ^ Asexuality isn't about sex drive! Some Asexuals have high sex drives, they just don't want to act on them as they don't feel attraction like sexual people do.
    I agree that kids at school should be told about Asexuality when they are told about other sexualities.

I don't understand this. Surely a sex drive is a desire to have sex with someone. If you don't want to act on it or don't feel sexual attraction, then surely that is a lack of/low sex drive?