HMV to sell new stock again

Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,820
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Deloitte have signed agreements with most of HMV's suppliers which will see the return of new releases back in stores.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21473463

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genuinely pleased to hear it. HMV is my first port of call for newly-released films.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    They are still selling "Revenge" for £37.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully with this news the website will also re-open in the near future.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still on a consignment basis I'd imagine though (ie HMV doesn't own it, doesn't profit as much from it, can't discount it etc).

Still very fragile place to be for such a massive chain.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really thought we had seen the last of the smug posters claiming "RIP OFF!!!!"
  • Scarlett O HaraScarlett O Hara Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    If it means some people can keep their jobs then that's great.

I'm always baffled at people who are actively pleased when a business goes bust. A bizarre way of thinking!
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if they want to get any customer loyalty back they'll need to honour outstanding gift vouchers - or at least offer something against them.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if they want to get any customer loyalty back they'll need to honour outstanding gift vouchers - or at least offer something against them.

I thought they already did re-activate them a few weeks ago?
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    I thought they already did re-activate them a few weeks ago?

They had as ive spent mine as soon as they allowed it
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they getting in new stocks of hardware again - iPods & iPads etc? They have none at the moment

Anyway I've spent my £50 HMV card
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Are they getting in new stocks of hardware again - iPods & iPads etc? They have none at the moment

Anyway I've spent my £50 HMV card

I was in HMV today and it was depressing. Nothing new on sale.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in HMV today and it was depressing. Nothing new on sale.
    yes this situation has been going on far too long, if HMV is going to survive it needs the new stock as soon as possible. It may not make alot of money on the deal, but the stores needs to appear like its open for business, and not closing down anytime soon.

As for "my first port of call" im not the type to spend £15 on a DVD, the week it comes out, when I know full well I wont watch it more than 5 times. (im talking movie here)
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    yes this situation has been going on far too long, if HMV is going to survive it needs the new stock as soon as possible. It may not make alot of money on the deal, but the stores needs to appear like its open for business, and not closing down anytime soon.

As for "my first port of call" im not the type to spend £15 on a DVD, the week it comes out, when I know full well I wont watch it more than 5 times. (im talking movie here)

Most of the things I watch these days are on Netflix so it makes shops redundant.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the things I watch these days are on Netflix so it makes shops redundant.
    yes there is that issue, HMV has totally missed the boat on streaming services, Netflix is just starting to demonstrate some real muscle with its new show "House of Cards", I dont think HMV has any chance of competing against that.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've used up all of my store credit now. Possible that I'll never buy anything from them again.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »

The report I linked to mentions music, movies and games. The core part of the business.

If Hilco decide to acquire what's left of HMV after the 66 stores close, it may be that the high end headphones and electrical products may go, although I still think they'll need something else to sell alongside hard copy media.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Netflix is incredibly frustrating though. I suspect that of the DVDs I own, under 30% are available on UK Netfilx, but it's very difficult to check because Netflix's interface is really bad. The only way to find many films is to search by title, which is laborious on a TV, and the indexing is poor so if you find a film you like you can't easily find other films by the same director.

At the moment Netflix is very handy if you know exactly what you want to watch and they have it but it's not good enough for HMV-style browsing for goodies - the streaming equivalent of impulse purchases.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully with this news the website will also re-open in the near future.
    I hope so too. I miss browsing/buying their steelbook blu-ray's.
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Netflix is incredibly frustrating though. I suspect that of the DVDs I own, under 30% are available on UK Netfilx, but it's very difficult to check because Netflix's interface is really bad. The only way to find many films is to search by title, which is laborious on a TV, and the indexing is poor so if you find a film you like you can't easily find other films by the same director.

At the moment Netflix is very handy if you know exactly what you want to watch and they have it but it's not good enough for HMV-style browsing for goodies - the streaming equivalent of impulse purchases.

I use a VPN and watch US Netflix. I use the website that lists everything from what has been added,what is staying and what is being removed.

http://netflixusacompletelist.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Genuinely pleased to hear it. HMV is my first port of call for newly-released films.

Really?:rolleyes::confused:
    Forum Member
    Steve35 wrote: »

Thats what I was thinking. Amazon or Sainsburys is mine.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The local Odeon is my first port of call for newly released films. Cheapo Tuesday, £4.40 admission.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good, it will make the shops look less like closing down sales.

Except in the 66 branches that are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve35 wrote: »

Oh I'm sorry. Do you have a problem with where I buy my films? I'll just stop shopping there because someone I've never met is judging me shall I? :rolleyes:

Some people...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats what I was thinking. Amazon or Sainsburys is mine.

Well good on you; HMV is my preferred choice and I don't see why everyone's getting all worked up over it. It's MY choice to shop there and I shall continue to do so (I don't care about the "it's cheaper at X, Y or Z" line to be frank).