Options

Rejoice!! Pope Francis I. Great day for the Church.

Comments

• Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    Non Catholics are perfectly entitled to follow their own way of life. If they want to buy hundreds of condoms and have dozens of abortions and also have same sex relations they can do so. I couldn`t care less.

Opinions aren't the problem.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here`s a thought. Pretty revolutionary but it might just make the world a better place. People live their life according to their beliefs. They allow others to do the same without prejudice. That means they don`t insult people`s religious faith. Or lack of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you want me to say? He knows if he has done wrong. I am in no position to say. At the end of the day he is only a man.

Yes, an attitude all to common with the child abuse scandal that took place and was covered up withing your church.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    I must have missed your comments on the disgraced Cardinal Keith O'Brien then.

Can't you let go and move on!
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never invite me for dinner. Your party games don't sound much fun :D
    Perhaps they should have chosen by 'spin the spirit bottle'!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Well it is hardly news. One pope leaves, another comes along. Surprise surprise!! And it a new pope for the catholic church. The rest of the world couldnt care less.

Fair enough, but there are some people who get a kick out of attacking the Church. Bit of an easy target really. Why not allow people to live their life according to their beliefs.
  • Options
    moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here`s a thought. Pretty revolutionary but it might just make the world a better place. People live their life according to their beliefs. They allow others to do the same without prejudice. That means they don`t insult people`s religious faith. Or lack of it.

It's religions which have caused all the arguments you refer to. They should all be abolished, then the world would definitely be a better place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So the church should drop its attempts to stop gay people from getting married?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »

Very Apostolic. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the church should drop its attempts to stop gay people from getting married?

Homosexuality like adultery is against the teaching of Christianity. Do you suggest forcing the Church to perform these marriages?
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

So you are ok with gay marriage then? You are entirely pro-choice? You disagree with the catholic church's rather despicable policies towards contraception?

I don't attack the catholic church's policies because they come from religion. I attach them because they are stupid, inhumane and belong in the history books.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't you let go and move on!

I could do, but see no reason to. When we get post after post about how great the catholic church is, I take notice, and form opinions, when the same posters refuse to comment on sexual abuse within the church.
  • Options
    pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do they always pick old men? Given the stresses of the job and the travelling it makes more sense to pick someone younger. 76 is pretty old. In a few years time he'll probably step down due to ill health.
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pity Richard Dawkins didn't get the gig. I guess his youth counted against him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    So you are ok with gay marriage then? You are entirely pro-choice? You disagree with the catholic church's rather despicable policies towards contraception?

I don't attack the catholic church's policies because they come from religion. I attach them because they are stupid.

I do not agree with `gay` marriage. I do not agree with abortion. I agree with the teaching of the Church that`s why I am a Catholic. If you are not a member YOU DO NOT HAVE TO AGREE.
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    I do not agree with `gay` marriage. I do not agree with abortion. I agree with the teaching of the Church that`s why I am a Catholic. If you are not a member YOU DO NOT HAVE TO AGREE.

This is true. You can believe what you want. The problem is, that the catholic church are rather fond of going around and enforcing their outdated views on others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dawkins/Dawkin/Hawkins or whatever his name is is a bitter little man.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could do, but see no reason to. When we get post after post about how great the catholic church is, I take notice, and form opinions, when the same posters refuse to comment on sexual abuse within the church.

I see the opposite. Thread after thread and post after post of catholic bashing. I do see Azzuri post this stuff a lot too but it looks like a reaction to all the other posts. The new pope was heavily criticized on herestarting yesterday as soon as his name was announced. He hasn't had a chance to do anything yet and still he was criticized.

Maybe put your claws away? :p
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member

Then instead of saying all the other stuff people would just say the pope is a bit of a knob.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree the church should be allowed to marry who they choose.

Problem is they want to extend their views on to everyone else.

I am all for a club hving its own rules, as long as those rules stay within the club.

I am glad you are pleased with the ne Holy Father. He certainly looks like a nice chap. Time will tell I guess.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very Apostolic. :eek:
    Didn't Jesus say 'on this hock, I build my Church'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    This is true. You can believe what you want. The problem is, that the catholic church are rather fond of going around and enforcing their outdated views on others.

You do not have to do what you do not want. I can ignore the life choices of non Catholics.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting to see a Latin American, a Jesuit and an advocate for the poor in the Vatican.

Many observers are saying he reminds them of Pope John XXIII, who was considered a kind man of the people (and who surprised everyone by being a great reformer).
  • Options
    moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the opposite. Thread after thread and post after post of catholic bashing. I do see Azzuri post this stuff a lot too but it looks like a reaction to all the other posts. The new pope was heavily criticized on herestarting yesterday as soon as his name was announced. He hasn't had a chance to do anything yet and still he was criticized.

Maybe put your claws away? :p

People bash catholicism because of all the child abuse that goes on. I think it's very strange that there are still those who stick up for the rc church, given what we now know about it.